Strut top bearing issue?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Strut top bearing issue?

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Ok so I'm trying to track down a click sound that's accompanied by a knock through the steering.

It first appeared after changing some tough ball joints and was only noticable when offroad. It seemed to occur when side loading changed on the front lhs wheel and was frequent when following/working through ruts.

Now it's happening on the road at times. Sometimes with a bump or a ripple in the road. It doesn't always happen when cornering.

I've also noted that my steering sensation has changed - it doesn't feel smooth or the same throughout the motion of rotating the wheel left or right. I do need to check my steering knuckles to rule them out. I've got a couple of spares to swap if need be.

If anyone knows what a shot strut top bearing feels like or how to diagnose without pulling the strut out (got the lift block in the way to check from the top). I don't know exactly how many k's are on this item but there would be close to 400,000km at the very least.

Any help welcomed - and anything I've overlooked that I can check I'm all ears ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue May 23, 2017 12:24 pm

if the bearing is bad enough you will be able to hear it moving the wheel by hand.

jack the front end up grab the wheel and turn the wheel side to side.

I had one go a while back and you could feel the vibration in your hands.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks VV!

I'll check that out and report back.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”