Leaky windscreen

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
LTurbo

Leaky windscreen

Post by LTurbo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:28 pm

My L-series has started to leak from the right hand corner of the front windscreen. There is a touch of rust coming through at the top edge of the windscreen in the middle which is probably causing this. Is it likely to be anything else? Like the seal just not working anymore?

Has anyone removed the windscreen, fixed the rust, and managed to seal everything up properly again? If so could you please give me a quick how to?

Cheers

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:41 pm

panel beaters

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:55 pm

Where abouts are you LTurbo.

Mike.

LTurbo

Post by LTurbo » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:01 pm

Suba wrote:Where abouts are you LTurbo.

Mike.
Hi Suba

Canberra, how about you?

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:58 pm

I am in Perth so I am not much help to you being that far away. My trade is automotive glass replacement, so if you were over here I could have helped with the removal of the screen .

:) Mike.

midnight

Post by midnight » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:38 am

How old is the rubber? If it is hard and cracked, that could leak.
If you windscreen is laminated and has a crack in it, buy another one, and expect to break the one thats in it.

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:19 am

The L Series are glued in not in rubber and even if the windscreen had a crack in it I could get it out without breaking it .

Mike.

midnight

Post by midnight » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:33 am

You must be good then Mike. You want to get the windscreen out of my suzi then please. Its got a chip in it.

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:54 pm

no

johnarentz

Re: Leaky windscreen

Post by johnarentz » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:33 pm

LTurbo wrote:My L-series has started to leak from the right hand corner of the front windscreen. There is a touch of rust coming through at the top edge of the windscreen in the middle which is probably causing this. Is it likely to be anything else? Like the seal just not working anymore?

Has anyone removed the windscreen, fixed the rust, and managed to seal everything up properly again? If so could you please give me a quick how to?

Cheers
Hi,

You could try Fyshwick Panel and Paint, they seem willing to provide a range of services to suit the pocket. If it is the seal then one of the wiundscreen fitters would be the way to go, probably new screen and fitting kit.

I noticed that this is also happening on the bargain L I picked up yesterday...so far the bargain has been diagnosed with stuffed compression rings on one cylinder, dud water pump and now the bastard leaks.....oh well you can't win every time.

:?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:24 pm

Rust in a subie ? Never !!

The best repair I have seen for rust holes the size that appear in the corners of these is fibreglass and resin once rust cut or cleaned out.

Mobile windscreen guys are good value when you want screen removed one time, give you time to repair and then get 'em back to finish off for you.

Bonded windscreens aren't they ? suba ?

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:49 pm

I had this fixed in my L.

You need to take it to a panel beater. They will take the glass off and most likely, the metal behid the glass is all rusted. Happens to every Leone.

If you are lucky, and the rust did not go through the metal, then the panel beater would need to sand the rust, spray it with rust converter, cover it with primer putty (make sure its the green zinc based stuff), and respray.

This whole job cost me around $300 in Melbourne around 2 years ago. If your glass breaks, that will be extra obviously.

Finally, make sure when the glass goes back in, the glass man uses plenty of silicon, but does not cover the little drain holes.
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:33 am

Please dont use that word Silicon around any decent windscreen fitter as we hate the stuff.
Yes the LSeries are bonded in with Uerethane, once it sets it is very much like rubber and it isn't acetic like most silicon's are.

Mike.

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:41 am

Suba wrote:Please dont use that word Silicon around any decent windscreen fitter as we hate the stuff.
Yes the LSeries are bonded in with Uerethane, once it sets it is very much like rubber and it isn't acetic like most silicon's are.

Mike.
Sorry, I did mean urethane :D . Its the black goowey stuff that sets to rubber like texture. Please accept apologies from this humble servant
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:25 pm

LOL , I use about 6 liters of urethane a day and in my last post I spelt it incorrectly and in your's you spelt it correctly :D .

Mike.

Kev

Post by Kev » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:54 am

I removed a windscreen from an L series the other day. It took a while because I had to cut through all the sealant that holds it in place. This car was in very good condition, except for the smashed front end, but there were signs of rust under the windscreen. I think that they may be prone to rust in this area that makes them leak, just like my L series.

Suba,
Are there any pitfalls to lookout for when fitting the new screen. I was going to just clean up any rust then put a large bead of sealant around where it was before, then put the windscreen back in place. If it's not as easy as that please let me know.

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:39 pm

Before you put the glass in:

Make sure you treat the rust with rust converter as well. Also, make sure you prime the bare metal with zinc (green in colour) based putty, and respray/paint it.

Kev

Post by Kev » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:53 pm

I was going to treat the rust holes with cold galv then fill them with windscreen sealant. Is that enough?

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:40 am

treat the rust holes with cold galv then fill them with windscreen sealant.
so dodgey 8O
that will never work for long, if the rim is rusted,with holes, the only way is cut and reweld steel there (preferably galvanised steel), elsewhere around the windscreen fibreglass&resin works really well and recommended.
I also 2nd the recommend of using mobile windscreen fitters, take the windscreen out yourself (or they can come and take it out and quote the new one) fix the rust yourself, don't trust panel beaters unless you can check up on their work.

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:38 am

fred-sub wrote:
treat the rust holes with cold galv then fill them with windscreen sealant.
so dodgey 8O
that will never work for long, if the rim is rusted,with holes, the only way is cut and reweld steel there (preferably galvanised steel), elsewhere around the windscreen fibreglass&resin works really well and recommended.
I also 2nd the recommend of using mobile windscreen fitters, take the windscreen out yourself (or they can come and take it out and quote the new one) fix the rust yourself, don't trust panel beaters unless you can check up on their work.
I checked every stage of panel beaters work - ie sanding/treating, puttying, and respraying. They might get annoyed, but cant do much about it :D

Return to “Trouble Shooting”