RX rear disks the same as early MY fronts?

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:04 am

Thanks Point... the world makes sence again. :)

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:12 am

does any1 no if the fronts are db340 this is wat the comp lists but im unsure if it is right
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:23 am

No should be DBA640 (these are the front factory vented rotors which are 18mm thick.

So to get this clear i need DBA640 x2 for the front... slotted if possible.

And...

DBA341 x2 for the rear.... slotted if possible.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:47 am

my notes have listed DR341 as L series RX rear disc rotors and shop around a bit and you might do better price

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:21 pm

hmmm Subarino are ur front vented discs off a brumby or an Lseries?
u listed the number for Vented brumby discs.
if they are off an L series then the number is DBA641 which have slightly different dimensions.

and tristan that number is for front solids. the one subarino listed is the vented.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:42 pm

Yes mine are brumby vented.

Dave

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:25 pm

sorry for the late response. yes $428 should be right. just go in- get the right part no's and put your deposit down there, and they'll order em in for ya. will take 3-4 days to come from the eastern states.

90brumby
General Member

Post by 90brumby » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:24 am

dave that price i quoted u was only ruff n i added on postage costs which may not b nessary

but i should b able to give u the full quote on all 4 slotted n pads 2 morrow
The New Owner Of hatchie
A 00 outback for doner car
2 door wrx being restored

owned plently of other subis before

Zefy

Post by Zefy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:38 pm

i'm kinda late with this but i'm not on here often... anyways...

when i did the rear disc swap onto the 79 brat i compared the front discs with my new (er..) rear discs... as far as i could tell they were the same size... however i didn't take any real measurements... so the offset and stuff might be completely different...

i know brembo makes rotors which are optional slotted for the 79... just thought i'd throw that in there...

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:11 pm

Thanks Tristan... im awaiting the final cost from you.

Dave

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:12 pm

I have searched high and low for the last 2 days on the internet for the existence of rear rotors and calipers for the older subarus (4 slot) as I want a set for my brumby

they are like finding hens teeth and rocking horse shit combined

if anyone has a reasonably priced set they want to sell pm me please please please

and dont even ask me how I found this thread :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:16 pm

Pretty sure the DBA part number for the discs is DBA341.

Their catalogue doesn't list them in the Subaru section anymore but they still appear in the weight and dimensions chart at the bottom. I suspect they've been discontinued.
http://www.dba.com.au/2006/PDF_CATALOGU ... 102008.pdf

Try contacting them directly to find out.
http://www.dba.com.au
Perth WA Australia:
Forrestfield
Phone: 61+3+9551-1377
Fax: 61+3+9551-1588

Here is a reseller still advertising them, perhaps they have some stock;
http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/dba-disk ... ba341.html

Regarding calipers you can probably only get these directly from Subaru, but if you have a set of marginal ones already you can always get them re-kitted at any brake place.

If you are looking to get all the parts you need for a conversion, the main rare that you need is the actual hub. I once priced these from Subaru - this is not cost effective.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:22 pm

thanks I want the whole kit and caboodle

out of curiosity what did Subaru want for the hubs alone ?

I did see on quokka a while ago someone in manjimup had a vortex rear setup for $1000 (just the rotors hubs and calipers) I had to laugh as wreckers quote between $150 -$300 for a set

I will keep looking

TOONGA

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:57 am

I paid $600 for the whole car for its turbo stuff and rear disc brakes. I am still driving the whole thing before I snaffle bits off it for the Brumby. Came with 13" turbo mags and autotechnica steer wheel

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:19 pm

xt's or gl's or any of the rear disc models are getting to be hens teeth in WA and the people who have the parts know this

if I could source new parts it would be expensive but in the long run cheaper than having older worn parts refurbished

my other option is to got to a crossbred kit which is fine but I would then need to source all the parts needed to complete the conversion to five stud

and Im sure I would need an engineers report to make it legal in WA

lets keep this discussion going

TOONGA

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:10 pm

From memory it was around $1000+ per side and required special ordering from Japan. (FROG may be able to confirm this more accurately).

Yeah you can still find secondhand rear ends from time to time, that guy in the quokka is dreaming at $1000 tho, they sell for about max $500 really.
If a wrecker is selling cheaper than that it's only because they aren't aware of the rarity.

Im my opinion its TOTALLY NOT worth it - even if you get a disc brake rear for less than 500.

Your front brakes account for about 90% of your breaking. Just make sure your drums are in good nick and it's really fine.

I'm running brand new slotted front brakes and the original disc rear in my RX turbo and honestly, the brakes are hardly any different to what I always had in my two wagons (stock setups with rear drums). If I didn't know the RX had rear discs I wouldn't have known any difference at all.

If you are serious about actually improving your braking noticable, go Crossbred.
If you just want to improve your braking a little without breaking the bank, get some high performance front brake pads, they make a noticeable difference, probably more so than converting to rear discs.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:47 pm

thanks for getting back to me AndrewT and you are right thats just mean of subaru

Im going to continue looking as this brumby is going to be with me for a while

if anyone in WA has a lead on a set of rear disc brakes get in touch

TOONGA

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:30 pm

i know subuwreak in SA have them 2hand to go from drum to disc rear complete the conversion 4 stud for $500 as i call them 4 weeks ago

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:07 am

be very careful to check that they come from a 4x4 model L series. The 2wd ones are different and cannot be converted to suit a 4x4 L.

Somebody can buy the rear end off my RX turbo if they want, but it's only going to be worth it from my perspective if I get 500bux for it (this way I can maybe just afford the extra to convert to Crossbred).

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:25 pm

AndrewT wrote:Im my opinion its TOTALLY NOT worth it - even if you get a disc brake rear for less than 500.

Your front brakes account for about 90% of your breaking. Just make sure your drums are in good nick and it's really fine.
Money aside, I don't agree with you AT! After only having rear drums on my L and converting to rear discs the difference is noticable and was a good change. Also the advantage of the discs is that they won't fade out as quickly as drums do - not that I think the drums did anything on my L anyway... The only thing that was new was the pads.

If you're looking at doing a WRX conversion down the line then the crossbred conversion is the way to go. Don't worry about "gathering the parts" as they are plentiful! You can start with the base liberty brakes to keep costs down for now, then when you're ready later on you can swap for a WRX spec brake setup. The crossbred kit gives you many brake setup options as well as many subaru 5 stud rim options.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Trouble Shooting”