Piston Rings on EA82

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
johnarentz

Piston Rings on EA82

Post by johnarentz » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:41 pm

Hi,

I have found that the compression rings on one cylinder ( the passenger's side front cylinder) are stuffed. Confirmed by the compression test and oil down the plug hole method.

Looking at the Gregory's manual it looks conceivable that the piston could be removed without splitting the block...access gudgeon and remove via gudgeon hole and manipulate the piston up and out.

Is that a possibility or am I just wasting my time thinking about it?

8)

steve_rising_sun

Post by steve_rising_sun » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:13 pm

Yes piston and rings are changed with out splitting the block, is there any blowby? Rings rarely fail these days. Sometimes a sticky valve [which is common] frees up on a wet compression test. So check for blowby before you pull it apart.
Steve

johnarentz

Post by johnarentz » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:56 pm

Thanks Steve,

The crankcase pressure seems OK but there was oil in the air cleaner, however this was definitely due to a blocked PCV valve.The compression is now more or less normal in that cylinder follwing a smoking ceremony involving half a bottle of injector cleaner down the carb and filling the cylinder with injector cleaner to the point of hydraulic lock and then leaving it to soak in.

However the thing still misses a bit at idle and the exhaust beat is till wrong....but it goes great on the road

John

Return to “Trouble Shooting”