L series sucking tooo much fuel

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
rcs66

L series sucking tooo much fuel

Post by rcs66 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:46 pm

My 93 L series wagon (EA82) 200,000km is using way to much fuel. I was wondering what I should do before I take the carb off and rebuild it.
I am only getting about 270km a tank. I change the oil and plugs about every 5000km and the air filter is new. The butterfly opens when the car warms up.

Does this cat have a cataltic converter ?

Who in Sydney can anyone recomend that does older subies ?

Lastly and this might sound a bit dumb. But what is the black canister at the

front right hand side of the engine bay, with hoses going up under the carb ?

CHeers.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 pm

270km a tank, that aint good. Has it been doing this for long?

Are your tyre pressures correct? does the exhaust gas smell fuely?

Most importantly,... what is you driving style? If you drive like Michael Shumaker, dont expect to get good economy.

Yes it has a catalytic converter

The black canister is called the purge canister. It basically takes fuel vapour from the fuel tank while the car is parked in the hot sun ect. and stores it until you next start the car. Its an emissions device. I doubt this will be causing economy issues.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:43 am

rcs66 wrote:My 93 L series wagon (EA82) 200,000km is using way to much fuel. I was wondering what I should do before I take the carb off and rebuild it.
I am only getting about 270km a tank. I change the oil and plugs about every 5000km and the air filter is new. The butterfly opens when the car warms up.

Does this cat have a cataltic converter ?

Who in Sydney can anyone recomend that does older subies ?

Lastly and this might sound a bit dumb. But what is the black canister at the

front right hand side of the engine bay, with hoses going up under the carb ?

CHeers.
Sounds like the carby needs a good Tune up.
All Unleaded cars are suppose to have Cat. Converter.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

theclick

Post by theclick » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:46 am

just another thing, actually do a fuel consumption calculation. It appears that my fuel tank goes in only 280km, but the dial must be wrong because i get 11l/100, and a "fill" only puts in 39l

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:53 am

timing belt stretch or off a tooth or 2 causes high fuel consumption like that also. You didn't say how well it drives? like a pig or go go?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:30 am

fredsub wrote:timing belt stretch or off a tooth or 2 causes high fuel consumption like that also. You didn't say how well it drives? like a pig or go go?
If it was a tooth out you'd know about it... like trying to get a brick moving.

Get the car up to temp and idle it, pop bonnet and have a look a the carbie. There's a plunger style pump on there that can leak fuel out the top (where the plunger shaft comes out). Its a common problem with the hitachi carbies. A rebuild kit will sort it out.

Also, how much is a fuel tank? 20L? 100L? I filled up last night from half a tank, 32L, 300km, half of that around town heavy footed driving. How do you drive it, where do you drive it and how many k's to amount of L's put in the tank?

Other than that, check out your aircleaner, replace if dirty. This problem could be a series of things adding up to your fuel consumption problem.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:01 am

theclick wrote:just another thing, actually do a fuel consumption calculation. It appears that my fuel tank goes in only 280km, but the dial must be wrong because i get 11l/100, and a "fill" only puts in 39l
Good point I get 135km more km's from when my gauge hit's the empty mark, It also doesnt hit the full mark, get's to about 3/4 full on the gauge

booma

Post by booma » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:54 am

Hi,

I have also had the same issues with my 92 L series Hitachi carby.Fuel leaking,crap economy,smells.

Fuel was leaking from around the plunger port,took it to the local carby refurbisher who did what other posters are suggesting rebuilt it with a complete rebuild kit.

That fixed that problem.

BUT I have the same problem regards to fuel capacity,I cannot get more than 30-35 litre in the tank.I did take the tank fuel sensor out and clean it once.

WARNING !!!! If you do this disconnect the battery first and pref in a well ventilated area with no naked flames,best to do it with a near empty tank. We don't want to see you on the 6 o'clock news !

Suspect there is a blocked breather pipe that I have missed somewhere.
Ideas anyone ?

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:13 pm

If you do take the fuel sender out and try to clean it or adjust,be very careful because I found that a little change to the needle makes a huge difference at the fuel gauge. When I got my car, it only showed half full when full, so i bent the arm that runs up and down the wire coil on the sender (only tiny bit) and then my gauge read full when full, but would not drop to emty when empty,so another try resulted in a gauge that read empty when full and slowly climbed to 3/4 as the fuel was used!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

Return to “Trouble Shooting”