ea81 weber conversion advice

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
subie_1st_timer

ea81 weber conversion advice

Post by subie_1st_timer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:14 am

seen these kits on ebay, anything i need to know when putting a weber onto the brumby?

one thing i noticed is the std carb has a bucket load of hoses comming from it, and the weber has next to none.... any little tricks to help keep everything looking legal cause im sure its all emission crap on the std carb. i was thinking of modifying a std air cleaner housing to keep things looking stock:cool:

also guess the next question is is it really worth doing? seen a few members stating they run a weber, like to hear your comments...

cheers

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:07 pm

having never done one i have no idea but those kits are close to $500..... swap meet yesterday we picked up those webers for $15 each, have a look around befor buying straight off ebay you may save alittle money.

subie_1st_timer

Post by subie_1st_timer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:32 pm

may save cash buying one at a swap meet but then how much is it if you gotta get it rebuilt, then gotta buy the adapter etc if you dont have one already.... least this way you get everything you need in one hit i guess. how many did you buy at the swap?? i might find out how much it will cost to rebuild one.... willing to part with one if you got any spare ;)?

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:40 pm

$500 might as well go a ej conversion

subie_1st_timer

Post by subie_1st_timer » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:21 pm

Fatz wrote:$500 might as well go a ej conversion
never known an ej conversion to cost $500 and getting off topic

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:43 pm

cost me $500 to do a ej swap, that was using the awd box aswell!
tail shaft and exhuast were my only other expenses which i bought new.

a rebuild isn't allways required some times a good clean is all. not sure on what a adapter would cost (my mate works for a engineering mob, engines and what not so he's my go to man)

all i'm saying is look around befor going the ebay way, might save money

subelover

Post by subelover » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:58 pm

off topic a bit but i just brought a 96' 200k ej22 complete turn key 5 speed awd loom ecu subframe etc for 250$. ej would be the way to go m8 imo cheers Ben
i have a problem....subaruitus

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:57 pm

its funny how as soon as someone mentions powering up a ea, the posts just point to a ej swap. lol

if you want a simple swap over it should be a simple job, i am unsure but i belive you should be able to remove all anti pollution gear with no dramas (someone correct me if im wrong) leaving you with a clean un-cladded engine bay and a cop wouldn't even pick up on the fact its gone.

the only two questions i would have is... will the std fuel pump flow enough to keep the weber happy?

will it make a noticeable amount power over std carby and if so would you recommend it?

2coupedup

Post by 2coupedup » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:48 pm

webber 32/36 is a good conversion if you have a good set of extractors and exhaust, plus a coil + spark upgrade go along nicely... the right jetting in the carby is also important... most of the hoses can still be used... i used all mine except 1 that goes from the airfilter to somewhere on the carby i think(i can remember but its not hard...)... but its a vacuum one so it works if you just block it off... can send some pics if you pm me...
I LIKE THEM PRETTY YET TOUGH...LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subie_1st_timer

Post by subie_1st_timer » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:25 am

i dunno where everyone finding these cheap as EJ's from but im not seein anything that cheap around the newcastle area. yeh an EJ would be nice but for now just not interested.... unless one comes up for a couple hundred bucks of course but lately seem to be shit outta luck around here, especially with an AWD box but i really wanna keep the D/R style box if i do it... anyway now im getting myself off topic

im not looking at doing the weber as a power up, just see it as a more reliable and easier carb to have tuned and get parts for etc and after talking to the carby bloke here in sandgate he definatly recommended the weber over getting the stock carb rebuilt so yeh, even if someone has a cheapy they lookin at sellin drop me a line, 2coupedup PM sent

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:46 pm

subie_1st_timer wrote:i dunno where everyone finding these cheap as EJ's from but im not seein anything that cheap around
I double ditto that, If these people that find these cheep as chips ej's , how about finding me one . The cheapest i can find for a half cut is close to $3,000 so i have 80% of what is needed to do the ej conversion. Still need addaptor plate and i take it a few other things.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2coupedup

Post by 2coupedup » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:42 pm

picked up an ej20 with 69000 on it with loom ecu alt air box exhaust for 700 from sussex...

they are out there u just gotta be lucky 2 find one... i also picked up a nice eaton m45 supercharger to go along with my conversion for 400 plus postage with teflon coated roters :P worth bout 5000 lol... fun for me soon
I LIKE THEM PRETTY YET TOUGH...LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:27 am

i'm all for the weber onto the ea engine. the kit sounds like a good idea because it comes with adapters and linkages and should just bolt on and they jet it to suit your engine before you get it (allegedly)...

i would be keen on the idea of putting a dgv carburettor bonnet onto it instead of a pancake filter, and the putting a air intake hose to the drivers side of the engine bay and mounting a hilux air filter and air box over there with a cold air intake...

the majority of the pollution gear can be removed with the carburettor, it is all crucial to making the carburettor and vac secondary's on the hitachi work properly. keep the canister and the fuel lines obviously. i'm not sure that i'm fussed on air injection, i would try and remove it. basically anything that you don't need, remove and have blanked off properly. if it is not there and doesn't look like it was ever there, then nobody will know. trust me, no cops are that smart, and if you aren't being a complete smeghead you will never get hassled anyway.

i rebuilt my carburettor and got the throttle shafts rebushed, which cost a few hours of my time and probably about $120 all up... a lot cheaper than a weber and that was my main concern. my car is much nicer and much more drivable now (the old fella i bought it off wouldn't recognise it anymore).

your money, so obviously your decision. an ej conversion would be nice... but thats a LOT of money and a LOT of time and effort to spend...

Pommiebrat

Post by Pommiebrat » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:15 pm

I'm doing this conversion at the moment too. Looks like all the additional tubing that goes into making the Hitachi working better can go. Have wired the automatic choke to one of the wires that went into the Hitachi. You can also blank off one of the fuel returns on the Weber. In terms of getting air in, I have converted the original subaru air box and am fitting a raised air intake this weekend. This allows me to wade deep water whilst running a K&N high performance filter.

What i did was cut about an 8cm square out of the bottom the subaru air box to get rid of the circular mounting hole for the original Hitachi and allow the Weber to fit in. Then I took a piece of 4mm aluminium and cut it to cover the whole of the bottom of the air box. I then used one of the gaskets in the Weber kit as a template and cut a hole in this aluminium to fit onto the Weber. The aluminium was attached to the original air box using pop rivets and selaed with clear silicone sealant.

I have then fitted a TJM snorkel originally designed for a Toyota 60 series to the RHS and connected it through the hole by the battery where the indicator cables run.

Have to wait a while to see how well this all works as I still need fuel tank etc. but it looks the mutts.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:00 pm

Sounds similiar to my setup but i have a stainless steel snorkel. It works really well and i still get around 10L/100km.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

kona480

Post by kona480 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:57 am

i have seen these on ebay aswell. how much more power do they give it? what do they actually do(power, economy etc.)

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”