temp senders 1.8 turbo

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
T'subaru

temp senders 1.8 turbo

Post by T'subaru » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:01 am

Hi guys, I just 'bout melted my Loyales 1.8 without much warning. Both my turbo cars run 1/4 gauge at temp. I noticed my gauge creep to less than 1/2 scale and return to normal. I thought time to replace t-stat then I had no power. I pulled over, it stalled and was hot! Too hot to touch much under the hood. It took over an hour on a cool eve before it would take water. Bad sender? I lost water fast from a hose that exits from mid engine and 90's down. Bad locatation for the sender?
Mark

Point

Post by Point » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:17 pm

i think it's pretty common in all cars. if you lose water quickly, the sender goes dry and doesn't give a true reading of engine temp. What they all need is a low water sensor. I've had this happen on a Nissan and a Mazda.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:07 pm

Ive actually considered adding a temp sensor somewhere on the head or close to the top of the cylinder, so i get a true indication of temperature where it matters most
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:03 am

My thought's also. I'm going to pull the engine from the loyal and rework it for my RX. I know the sender is really a thermistor, so I anticipate having to use an auxillary temp gauge and sender. It's a matter of where to place new sender.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”