Will the Manual but fit in to an auto car

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
schultzie

Will the Manual but fit in to an auto car

Post by schultzie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:19 pm

hey finally getting enthused about doing up another subaru just wondering will my manual 4spd box fit in to where the auto use to be.. and how hard will it be to fit it, if no different ot the manual apart from the interior trim and obvesly clutch peddle... then ill be gettin a subee really soon again...

Also has any one got any experience with supercharging the ea81?

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:26 pm

Yes the manual will fit, as far as I know just change the interior trim and change to a manual pedal box.

Steve @ Rising sun has played with super charging a bit, I think the general consensus was that EA81's don't take forced induction all that well, unless you can get one with "twin port" heads.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:29 pm

thanks for the advise on the auto...

should i prehaps just wait for a L-series turbo to come up?
it is just that i have all the gear for the My and im definatly having trouble mooving it all...

what should i do?

AlpineRaven

Re: Will the Manual but fit in to an auto car

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:36 pm

schultzie wrote:hey finally getting enthused about doing up another subaru just wondering will my manual 4spd box fit in to where the auto use to be.. and how hard will it be to fit it, if no different ot the manual apart from the interior trim and obvesly clutch peddle... then ill be gettin a subee really soon again...

Also has any one got any experience with supercharging the ea81?
You could install 5spd manual dual range box for $120 if you source one from Pick A Part yard and install in behind EA81 engine. Worth doing. But only mod is the floor shifter is, you'll have to cut some out to make it fit for the gearstick.

Thats something I would do with EA81 series.
Cheers
AP

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:46 pm

yeah... but then you need to mod the clutch peddle box, and the 4spd has a better lowrange than the 5spd the and the 3.9 diff also makes it better compared to the 3.7 the 5spd, this car is not going to be a daily driver... i will have my pannel van for that...

i have 2 reasons for gettim another subee.. 1 i miss it, and secondly i didn not enjoy the company of another club i went on a cruise with... us subee guys are of a different class...

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:51 pm

Not all 5 speeds are 3.7. My wagon runs a 3.9 5 speed.

No mod to the pedal box is necessary, you just need to source another one from a manual and swap it over (short easy job)

The hardest bit will be getting the bloody torque converter off!!!
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:00 pm

ill be putting the motor in from the old car... (i am sick of looking at the old girl with all her frontal damage... just wish it wasnt a write off... oh well..
i have been trying to source a good body for ages one with out rust and i have finally found one..

so once i have put all my gear in to the new body ill be sorting out a super charger... and then some real fun... well i would like to think so any way,

werent the 3.9 5spd's rare as all rocking horse shit? eithor way im not stressed as i say it will be a club car and a weekend car that if it gets broken in to im not going to loose over 10g worth of gear...

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:01 pm

schultzie wrote:
werent the 3.9 5spd's rare as all rocking horse shit? eithor way im not stressed as i say it will be a club car and a weekend car that if it gets broken in to im not going to loose over 10g worth of gear...
I've seen plenty of 3.7:1 & 3.9:1 gearboxes at the wreckers.
Cheers
AP

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:21 pm

I guess the more important question is how much money are you prepared to throw at it ?

schultzie

Post by schultzie » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:25 pm

that is it exactly... like i say i have all ready got all the gear... hell i have enough spares to suit MY's to build 3 complete cars...

im lookin at a body for around 300, supercharger for 200, plumbing ect 100 and water injection 100, reg and insurance 800
easy eh

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”