Getting a EJ22 ready for the l series conversion... help!!

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
guyph_01

Getting a EJ22 ready for the l series conversion... help!!

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:37 pm

Ok so i got this EJ22 but it has a blown head. I want to use it as it has done 105xxx k's and get it ready for the l series conversion...

I heard that it is possible to use sti or wrx heads and that give the engine more power? Is that true? Is it a simple question of putting the heads on and everything else is the same? plug and play?

Ok so i'll do the heads, change the Tbelt. Do you guys think i should get a new water pump, or replace the seal? Should i get new head bolts?
Also what else can a change apart from the rings or internals...

thx

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:00 am

I might be wrong here, but I think the turbo'd heads has different water channels/flows etc... I'm not sure, I think you can use non-turbo DOHC heads on EJ22 engine...
I'll let someone else to answer this...
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:20 pm

What about another SOHC head... I heard a guy used a ej16 heads to obtain more torque and low end power...

Im thinking to get a licensed wagon but do you think i could do it in a unlicensed one and get it on the pits? changing enything else that needs to be fixed.

Does anyone know of a towing wagon, licenced or not in WA going for a rather cheap price??? Can have a blown engine:P

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”