Recondition or replace brumby gearbox?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Spin

Recondition or replace brumby gearbox?

Post by Spin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Hi My newly acquired 1984 Brumby has a lot of oil leaks around the gearbox. When I checked the oil level it was virtually empty! My question is would it be cheaper to remove the GB and fix the leaks or put in another GB? What could I fit? I notice there are always a lot of L series wagons being wrecked, could I fit one of those GB's to my Brumby? Would it be a direct bolt in with mods? If not what would you suggest? thanks Spin.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:46 am

A few people have fitted an L series 5 speed into the brumby. If you look in the gearbox section, you should find what info you need.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:19 am

Yes, the 5 speed gearbox is a good upgrade.
Make sure you get one from a Touring Wagon to get the 1.59:1 low range and the 23 spline output shafts.
Settlement Creek Racing

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Unless the oil is coming out of the gearbox input shaft you can replace the seals with the gearbox in position, you do have to remove the CV's and tailshaft though. As already been said now would be a good opportunity to upgrade to a 5 speed gearbox. You will also need to replace the clutch plate at the same time as they are different from the 4 speed input shaft spline. You will also need to adapt the 5 speed gear selector and low range lever as well as adapt the longer L series tailshaft or get a custom sinlge piece shaft made.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:48 pm

can you specifically tell us where is it leaking from?
if its leaking from where the drive shafts/drive train areas, these are seals and costs about $8 (each) to replace but if its leaking from the joints then the gearbox has to be removed to re-seal hence might be good timing to rebuild or replace to l series with 5 speed like one of these guys said above. I can tell you now that rebuilding the gearbox would cost you between $1500 - $2000 whereabouts you can get 2nd hand one for about, $80 minimum upwards depending which wrecker you're at.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Mouse

Post by Mouse » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:42 am

Is the gear box making any noises , if not i would suggest that you look at fixing the leaks getting another second hand gear box might be opening up another can of worms.

Spin

Post by Spin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Thank you for the replies. You have all given me some great advice and options. Firstly I will check on the weekend exactly where the oil is coming from. Based on that, I will then consider my next option. The gearbox was somewhat noisy until I put more oil in it! Seems ok now although the gear shift has a lot of movement in it but never having owned one before, not sure if that is what they are all like? Will let you know what I find next weekend. thanks for your help Spin.,

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:03 pm

sloppy gearshift is an unrelated problem and easy to fix.
do a search here on how to fix it.
Settlement Creek Racing

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Spin wrote:Thank you for the replies. You have all given me some great advice and options. Firstly I will check on the weekend exactly where the oil is coming from. Based on that, I will then consider my next option. The gearbox was somewhat noisy until I put more oil in it! Seems ok now although the gear shift has a lot of movement in it but never having owned one before, not sure if that is what they are all like? Will let you know what I find next weekend. thanks for your help Spin.,
It would be good idea to power wash the gearbox to give you better clearer indication of where the leakage is.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Does anyone know of a the part number for the front driveshafts oil seals? I just wanna order them online after being shafted at the Subaru dealer... was quite pissed off about it!

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Member FROG is your best bet..will probably contact you or his details are on here in the members list. I've bought before thru him and he has been most helpful.
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:26 pm

brumbyrunner wrote:Yes, the 5 speed gearbox is a good upgrade.
Make sure you get one from a Touring Wagon to get the 1.59:1 low range and the 23 spline output shafts.
To correct some information: To do the L series 5 speed gearbox and have the 23 spline diff output stubs and the good 1.59:1 low range you need any 5 speed dual range gearbox from the NATURALLY ASPIRATED L series. The MPFI and MPFI turbo have 25 spline counts. The MPFI turbo has the dodgy low range (1.19:1) I believe.
subybrumby wrote:Member FROG is your best bet..will probably contact you or his details are on here in the members list. I've bought before thru him and he has been most helpful.
I can vouch for FROG as well. Many parts have keep oz post in business and FROG with a job ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”