Charcoal Canister, what does it do

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Dane

Charcoal Canister, what does it do

Post by Dane » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:49 am

G'Day All,

I had a search back through the old threads but couldn't find what the charcoal canister does?

I've got a little bit of flat spotting and suspect a dirty injector but found that the outlet or inlet to the canister had broken off, could this cause a flooding effect? (Having one line disconnected?)

Any comments greatly appreciated.

__JC__

Post by __JC__ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:14 am

G'day Dane,

The charcoal canister filters fuel vapour from the fuel tank - there will be an inlet (from the tank) and a purge outlet to the inlet manifold/intake depending on the set-up. The EJ22 looks like it's got a little pressure valve on the inlet line from the tank, it'll open as fuel in the tank evaporates and pressurises the system.

If the purge outlet to the inlet manifold is sucking in air that is not metered by the AFM then that might just be your problem. Block it off and see what happens I reckon. ;)

Jake.

Dane

Post by Dane » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks for the reply, it fills in the blanks nicley.

I had the Subaru equivalent of South Park's Underpants Gnomb's business plan.

Step 1

Get Underpants

Step 2

?

Step 3

Profit.

__JC__

Post by __JC__ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:35 am

haha! - nice work...sounds like most my plans

Keen to hear whether it makes a difference or not.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:08 pm

wondering if split intake boots or loose clamps after the A FM is causing yours and LTurbos problems

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:56 pm

all that on my L dose not work any more just all block and there for good looks .
small steel balls just the right size of the inside of the hose job done still looks the same but not working .

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:41 pm

I had a 99 WRX and one of the hoses going to the the canister kept falling off, car would run like poo without it attached, not much help but I know it made a huge difference on the way that car ran.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Dane

Post by Dane » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:25 am

Thanks for the replies, I got hold of some rubber impregnated super glue, drilled a hole larger than the pipe fitting and stuck it back in. Seems to be holding. No news on performance though... I sheared a bolt in the rear removing a lift block and the other side is not budging yet.

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:06 am

phillatdarwin wrote:all that on my L dose not work any more just all block and there for good looks .
small steel balls just the right size of the inside of the hose job done still looks the same but not working .
why the **** would anyone want to block off the charcoal canister???
Its all part of the fuel tank closed environment, it scavenges vapour from the fuel tank, the purge valve is opened in engine vacuum conditions so it also
goes to helping drive your car down the road, you paid for that vapour so why not use it, otherwise its bloody stupid just letting unused fuel vapour escaping to the environment like that:(.
Also, with a properly sealed re-fill cap,when you open the fuel refiller to re-fuel, there should not be a great rush of pressure of vapour, of course there is some vapour thats unavoidable.
In nsw there is a move to get service stations retrofitted with a vapour capture thingto avoid that also.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:52 am

A move ? It might work now a few more people are scared of the climate change being for the worse not the better. A fellow invented a vapour scavengng/recovery system for those sometimes concealed outlet pipes at your local servo nearly twenty years ago and it was allegedly banned or rejected by governments and/or fuel companies from what I vaguely remember. Some companies had these pipes fitted to their big company logo signs up on big poles, some have them out the back.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:11 am

from my tests, (removing it and trying)
it just forces the vapour back into a liquid form to be made vapour in the carby.
i think it ,makes the fuel a little faster flowing, basicly takes up space and makes sure that all the fumes are burnt and not released to atmosphere. just for enviromentally concious jargon

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”