3 cly subaru blowers

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
spike
General Member

Post by spike » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:53 am

last celtic warrior wrote:Methinks someone is taking the p!ss... :rolleyes:
honestly WTF. efi carbi?? its single point injection, just go a efi from ea82 i think
supercharger-turbo?? yes its done really expensive and very little room to move under bonnet.
put it this way lots of money, lots of engineering.
and english??

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:28 pm

it all gos with what u use to do it and how much money u want to put in to it .
if u think about it u can build one cheap .if u do it the right way from the start .
i are going to go with a carbie blow thro as it is cheap way of doing it if your fuel psi going in to your carbie is hire then your boost psi i can not see any prolongs.
will find out the hard way .with lots of testing

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:40 pm

spike wrote:honestly WTF. efi carbi?? its single point injection, just go a efi from ea82 i think
supercharger-turbo?? yes its done really expensive and very little room to move under bonnet.
put it this way lots of money, lots of engineering.
and english??
don't get pissy, well not unless you have all the know how..... which you may have some of but not all.

efi from a 82 is mpfi (seprate intake port for each cylinder) - 81 heads only have a single intake port for both cylinders on each side.

for starters the intake wouldnt bolt up.

82 heads wont bolt onto a 81 because of were the cam/cams/push rods/belts are on both engines.

depending how hands on you are and how legal you want it to be, it wouldnt cost the earth to build.

if i was you i'd either do something like the plane builders- ea81 with a 82t turbo or something around the same spec, carby draw through style. i think some seals within the turbo need swaping out if its a wanted to be reliable with petrol getting suck through it.

or a small toyota supercharger slapped on there.

but at the end of the day it wont be a super car, it will how ever be a lot of fun building and driving. just be carefull of who you line up at the lights to avoid embarassment. :rolleyes:

google ea81,turbo and light plane and see what it turns up.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:05 pm

In the US, the L series got SPFI on the EA82, which used the single port heads.
This means that the SPFI intake fits on an EA81

There is a write up on the USMB on how to convert an EA81 to SPFI

Fuel injection is really the only way to go for forced induction
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:06 pm

with the blower in there and a turbo u get lots of low down go off the line and the turbo gives u top end .
it will all be custom build intake so it will all fit under the hood run as much boost as i can run it at safe so i think around 12psi max to start off with and work way up from there .

phillatdarwin

Post by phillatdarwin » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:11 pm

Suparoo wrote:In the US, the L series got SPFI on the EA82, which used the single port heads.
This means that the SPFI intake fits on an EA81

There is a write up on the USMB on how to convert an EA81 to SPFI

Fuel injection is really the only way to go for forced induction
if fuel injection is the way to go y it that top fuel drag cars all run carbie on them that have a blowers .
and thay do not run a ECU .

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:49 pm

phillatdarwin wrote:if fuel injection is the way to go y it that top fuel drag cars all run carbie on them that have a blowers .
and thay do not run a ECU .
Because top fuellers run at full throttle only. They don't care about fuel consumption or driveability. For a street car EFI is definitely the way to go. Even SPFI (where the injector is positioned where a carby would normally go, rather than individual injectors for each intake) will crap all over a carby.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:47 am

id swap out to an ea82 with mpfi
or keep the ea81 and build a mpfi from scrach, not thast hard really.(ive done it before for a datsun motor and cant see a problem with an ea81)
suck throughs better as the carbi is standard, with blow through you need to make the carbi, floatbowl, gauge. bloddy hard, have seen it done on another datsun motor took about 3 years to build and design to work.

try a twin stage set up lot easier in my mind well maybe not with carbi.
supercharger will take kw from motor to start with and thus when you get the high end it still sucks but not enough.

btw the max id run is around 9psi.
the best WRX/liberty motors built for drags will run at about 2 bar and blow. ea81 probably wont be strong enough

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

you cant mpfi a standard ea81 because the intake port (on each head) is split between two cylinders, i belive turbo 81's had one for each cylinder tho. you could spfi it, but you would need gear from other makes of car as i havent seen a spfi subaru over here (not saying they don't exsit here, i just havent seen one).

i didn't realise you wanted a blower and turbo setup, anything can be done check out the link VVVVVV 3cyl subaru blow'n and turbo'd (page 5 for clips and some pics)
http://subarujusty.proboards.com/index. ... 807&page=5

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Turbo EA81's had injectors in the head, so they still used the standard single runner intake.
I believe the injectors pointed into just before the valve.

neterida is right about top fuellers, they dont need to be driven at part throttle, so they dont need FI

Save yourself a lot of headache, go fuel injection. If you dont wanna source parts from the US, make an adapter to fit a Camira (or any other similar TBI setup) injection throttle to the carby manifold.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:40 pm

Suparoo wrote:Turbo EA81's had injectors in the head, so they still used the standard single runner intake.
I believe the injectors pointed into just before the valve.

neterida is right about top fuellers, they dont need to be driven at part throttle, so they dont need FI

Save yourself a lot of headache, go fuel injection. If you dont wanna source parts from the US, make an adapter to fit a Camira (or any other similar TBI setup) injection throttle to the carby manifold.
If you use the Camira setup I know where you can get the std GM ECU modified to be programmable from a laptop for a couple of hundred bucks. I used to run one of these in my 84 Corvette that had been changed from SPFI to MPFI.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”