heavy breathing

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
khanacross

heavy breathing

Post by khanacross » Thu May 20, 2010 3:23 pm

hi all ,the ej22 i just fitted to my brumby seems to breath heavy which is causing oil leaks ,if you slowly remove the oil filler cap with the engine running you can feel the pressure pushing against your hand ,since fitting the engine i have done front crank seal ,cam seals ,sump gasket ,rover cover gaskets ,i have cleaned the rover cover breather hoses and checked the pcv fitting ,,the engine runs well and seams to have plenty of compression (athough not done test) ,its not smokey at all ,,,just heaps of pressure ,,any ideas would be greatly appreciated ,,,thanks ...khanacross:confused:

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu May 20, 2010 6:54 pm

crankcase blow-by is normally associated with worn rings, I would do a compression test just to eradicate that from the list. I take it all of your breather hoses go to stock settings and nothing has been bypassed or blocked

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Every 50,000kms the Positive Crankpressure Valve (PCV) should be cleaned or replaced (if required) this will ensure your engine will have vacumm pressure inside all the time.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 21, 2010 5:29 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Every 50,000kms the Positive Crankpressure Valve (PCV) should be cleaned or replaced (if required) this will ensure your engine will have vacumm pressure inside all the time.
And this item almost NEVER gets checked or replaced...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”