Gearbox issues

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
cal

Gearbox issues

Post by cal » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:51 pm

hello all i have a problem My 91 liberty gx it's not the 4wd its just standard. what my problem is i tired roll starting in reverse ( dumb idea and never should do but under the circumstances it was the only way possible being on a hill in the middle of nowhere by myself)

and it didn't start it anyway so after waiting for hours on said hill i get a jump start when i go to put it in reverse it didn't move, car didn't stall when i took my foot of clutch almost like reverse never existed

. but after warming it up lets say a 1 km drive it goes in reverse and works fine as if nothing happened all the other gears work fine there is no unusual sound coming out of the gear box and when reverse does work when it's warmed up it doesn't clunk in or anything goes in smooth makes no evil sounds.

when i was looking at the gearbox i noticed it has a dipstick and when i pulled it it says its almost empty but i thought that manuals didn't usually need oil top ups any ideas on what has happened or how to fix or if i even need fluid I'm a lot confused thanks in advance.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:41 am

Hey Cal.. have a look under your car and see if you see any major oil leeks.. if not I wouldn't stress. I can't understand why it wouldn't go into reverse after the incident but would suggest you drain the fluid, check for metal bits and if nothing then refill the correct amount & type of gearbox oil.

Cheers,
Paul
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

cal

Post by cal » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:14 am

no oil leaks it's got me buggered

seagull

Post by seagull » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:15 am

bent selector

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:37 am

A lot of people dont realise there is a dipstick there, which is unuasl for subaru manual boxes to have.

If you have reverse back - not to worry but does the shifter get into gears correctly - if it doesnt it might need adjustment or repair split pin/or replace worn rubbers etc.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”