forester clutch problem

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
revmarty

2002 Forester Clutch

Post by revmarty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Forester with the same clutch pedal problems, but it doesn't seem to be a leaking hose issue. No sign of leaking fluid and reservoir remains full. I notice what seems to be a hydraulic pump sitting near the power steering reservoir, and it seems the clutch lines run into this. Is this the case? :confused: And if so, is this pump suppose to be running when the engine/ignition is on? I've been trying to locate a service manual to get more info, without luck, and as a pensioner I can't afford a mechanic to start a fishing expedition! Any help GREATLY appreciated!

rebuilder

Post by rebuilder » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Revmart, there should be any sort of pump system involved with the hydraulic clutch, well not that ive seen.
when you depressed the clutch pedal, is the slave cylinder actuating, or are you getting no response?

revmarty

Post by revmarty » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm not very mechanical minded (if you need your PC fixed let me know, but not a car!), so I'm flying a bit blind here. If I can get info I have friends who can do the work, but none of them know much about Subaru's...

Anyway, from what I can see the cable from the clutch pedal down to the ??? cylinder (lower right hand side of engine bay) works, but that's about it. Push the pedal down and that's where it stays. No loss of fluid from the reservoir and no sign of leaks. Sorry if that sounds vague, but I don't have a service manual so I don't know what everything is called!:???:

The reason I asked about the pump is because one of my friends seemed to think that the hydraulic line from the clutch system snakes back to what appears to be a pump assembly at the front left hand side, next to the power steering reservoir. Looking at it there are 4 hydraulic lines going into the top and 2 in the side, and it connects to the wiring harness behind the driver side headlight.

Point

Post by Point » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:48 pm

that sounds like your ABS. nothing to do with the clutch.

my forrie's clutch was a little 'sticky' at first, but after a bleed it has come good. If yours is real bad you may need to rebuild or replace the master and or slave cylinders. Try bleeding it first.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

poprock1

sticky clutch

Post by poprock1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:58 am

Hi, following this with interest. Having owned many pre-hated cars the suggestion which seems best to me was the one about a sticking piston. This has happened to me on early holdens; it indicates a worn cylinder sleeve, the piston chatters and eventually grabs. My quick solution was several light taps with a small hammer ( NOT Toonga's FBH ). The final fix was a new one. It will be interesting to hear the end solution:cool:

rebuilder

Post by rebuilder » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:27 pm

ahh revmarty what u may see moving is the clutch brake hold, which is known in SUbarus as the Hill-holder system.
the system allwos u to point up a hill, press the brake and clutch, release the brake, and not have the car roll backwards untill the clutch is released.
this operates independently from teh hydralic system.
Your hydraulics can still be fault if this system appears to be working.
concentrate on the clutch master cylinder, as what poprock sais about a sticking or "bypassed" piston may be and most likely is the issue. only way to fix is to replace!

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”