Early EA81 emission gear?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
RatCamper

Early EA81 emission gear?

Post by RatCamper » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:29 pm

G'day. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this.
What emissions gear did the super EA81s have on them?
I put one of these in my VW camper. A pre-loved conversion from someone else that had theirs registered in SA.
because I'm registering in NSW I need something resembling the original emissions stuff on it.

I've given the Gregory's a good look over and can't really reach a conclusion.

What it does have is the PCV system and the coasting bypass valve. It has other plugged hoses associated with a charcoal canister and ???. But for all I know the carb could have come from a later version.
There is no sign of a thermal vacuum valve, and unless the bowl ventilation solenoid has been mistaken for an idle cutoff solenoid it doesn't have one either.
There is no fitting for a hot idle compensator on the air cleaner.

I don't know what's been chopped and changed over the years. What is it supposed to have? And what shouldn't be there?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Ratcamper this is what my emmision stuff looked like before I got the EJ motor

if anyone else out there wants to photograph their engine bay it may help

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:13 pm

I won't be able to do anything till the weekend but mine is an all original 1982 EA81 with manual cable operated choke.
Is this early enough ?
It does have power steering and A/C though

RatCamper

Post by RatCamper » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:25 pm

TOONGA, that is far more complicated than mine. My carb doesn't have those vac pots on the bar. i don't think it has the big lump on its right in the first photo either. My air cleaner only has the PCV connections too. none of those extra pipes.
Actually everything looks much simpler and different on mine. I think I may have missed slightly with year model. Any one know where I can lay my eyes on the engine and / or emissions section of an earlier Gregory's than 1985?

Cliff R I would really like to see your motor. I have a manual choke, no P/S or A/C, and it had a mech fan on its own pulley but the fan has been removed.

I have figured out what it does still have more or less from other sources except for one thing. You know where the temperature sender is on the manifold? Well, there is another sender or something on the other end of the manifold in roughly the same spot. What is it?

Mystery sensor.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:03 pm

I will have a look either tomorrow afternoon or over the weekend and take some pictures

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:17 pm

RatCamper wrote:Mystery sensor.
That is a temp switch (like the one on the radiator in the factory car) it is there because your engine came from a car with a manual choke that has automatic shut off. The factory car had a electromagnetic hold choke cable and when the engine got to desired temp, the power to it would stop causing it to retrack and thus in turn turn off the choke.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:24 pm

Ratcamper this is from the 1983 ea81 FSM

http://rapidshare.com/files/444773204/C ... System.pdf

It hurt my head looking at the California emmisions, but there are 2 other charts that you should be able to work out what you need.

TOONGA

RatCamper

Post by RatCamper » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks RSR555. I couldn't find what that mystery item was anywhere. I never would have thought it was for a semi automatic choke cable.

That emissions diagram is scary. The Cali mechanics should be paid more than doctors!

I think I'll have to print out the Canada emissions page and go crazy with highlighters. I don't have 90% of that stuff but some should be relevant.
It seems like everything i see makes me think earlier... earlier.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:26 pm

I have now taken about 18 pictures of my engine.
I am no expert in effectively/efficiently downloading pictures onto a forum.
Is there a good way to do this and not clog everything up.
Once the pictures are on the form you could indicate which pipes you need located and we could go from there.

poprock1

emissions

Post by poprock1 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi, my 20c worth is the possibility that it could be an imported motor c. 1980on. I bought a Jap one for my daughter's Sigma and most bolt-on stuff was different

openflame06

Post by openflame06 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Not sure how far you are away but ive got the inlet manifold with carby and pretty sure most of the emissions gear on it, my brumbys got a weber so i dont use it, just kept it for "legal" purposes

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Cliff R if you can resize the images to 19.5 kb per image, then you can attach them to your post if not give me a pm and we can work it out from there via email

TOONGA

RatCamper

Post by RatCamper » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Cliff R, you can also put photos up on something like photobucket. It has pre-done code to copy paste into forums. Its what I use because I couldn't be bothered working with the eccentricities of each forum.

openflame06 I have no idea where you are but I'm sure its nowhere near me. No-one ever seems to be. It's almost like some kind of statistical anomaly.

I think given what this motor has that I may be able to get away with just a charcoal canister. The fun part is actually getting one. I have a nice one which I pulled out of our dead EFI Magna. It even has a blanked pipe for the carby vent. trouble was it used an external purge valve. Electronic for FI and vac for carb'd. I can't seem to get my hands on the purge valve. Pity. The canister has a nice bracket with two bolts that I could find a home for easy enough.

It's totally off topic but I finished the cooling system (more or less) today. Stoked about that.

Anyway beyond charcoal cannister, PCV and the decel valve thing I don't think the motor has any kind of concession for any kind of emissions gear. How old would that make it?

Cliff R
General Member

EA81 emission photos

Post by Cliff R » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:13 pm

RatCamper

I have not forgotten about getting all the pictures I took of my engine to you but unfortunately, this is the first time since January I have had any real time to put some thought into sorting pictures out :cry::cry:. I will (hopefully) have more time over the next few nights to work on this so sorry for the delay but if the pictures are too late for you they may be of some use to others.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”