AWD without a Centre Diff

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Gannon

AWD without a Centre Diff

Post by Gannon » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:26 pm

Have you ever heard of a torque limiter (the thing found on PTO driven farm equipment to protect your tractors gearbox when you hit a stump)

They also use them in manufacturing www.ringspann.de/uk/products/p45/p45rs.htm

What if you were add one of these between the gearbox and the rear diff.

You would have engine power to all 4 wheels, but it would slip (but still maintains preset torque) under high strain and enable your car to corner without binding up the gearbox.

The ones designed for slashers are about 6" in diameter and have 8-10 springs that allow the pressure/torque threshold to be adjusted

Just a crazy idea i had

What do you think
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:53 pm

hmmmm could work kinda like a viscous diff in a lib box me thinks
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:32 pm

That is just a rather agricultural (pun intended) LSD isnt it?

Brumby Boy

Post by Brumby Boy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:24 pm

Suparoo wrote:
Just a crazy idea i had

What do you think

Dont we live on crazy ideas around here???
Long live the 1990 Subaru Brumby 2" lifted and soon to be mig locked
RIP 1992 Brumby

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2507954
http://www.myspace.com/brumby_boy

few self-respecting ricers would spend the time to modify a Daewoo.

mattims

Post by mattims » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:04 am

i believe it would be pretty harsh. It relies on static friction so it would grip and bind the gearbox then slip with a clunk and grip again.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:07 am

I agree with Mattims. Also how you going to bind it up so it dose not release for 4WD? or are you just talking about on road use only.
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:57 pm

Yeah i was thinking on road use only.

My thoughts originated from the viscous coupling in the early AWD auto forester and liberty gearboxes. I read somewhere that the front wheels are connected permamently to the engine, and there is a proportion sent to the rear axle, controlled by the viscous coupling.
Or something along those lines.

I thought about it binding and releasing with a clunk, but i read this on a website...
During the slipping process, input and output rotate relative to each other and the preset limit torque continues to be transmitted.
So i figured that it shouldnt be all that bad (clutch LSD's work in a similar way)

Are there any other ways of achieving what i wanna achieve? What do other AWD systems use?

Lets make this a brain storming session!!!
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Hey Gannon, Just dug up this while doing a search.

Sorry to see the discussion didn't go any further - did you actually look any further into it? I'm guessing not :???:

I reckon the easiest way to test it would be on a part time 4wd gearbox, locking in 4wd with the PTO's torque limiter hanging out the back of the gearbox... :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:50 pm

El_Freddo wrote: I reckon the easiest way to test it would be on a part time 4wd gearbox, locking in 4wd with the PTO's torque limiter hanging out the back of the gearbox... :D
Yeah my fab skills weren't all that good at that stage, but my idea was to attach it to the centre bearing carrier between the gearbox and the diff.

revmax

Post by revmax » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:21 pm

good idea. would it withstand 6000rpm/200kmh or 3000/100kmh
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 pm

Most PTO driven equipment is designed for 540rpm, but some machines also run on 1000rpm. Id say if it was balanced properly, it would be ok

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 pm

cant see it lasting 5 minutes. its designed as an overload protection not something that is slipping every time you turn a corner
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:51 am

Corect and thats why it wouldn't work . They are designed to be an overload protection device and they would not take kindly to constant slipage .

And erm no , the gearbox drives the center diffs hemisphere which drives the cross pins and then the planet gears on these pins drive the side gears . One side gear is effectively the front diff pinion and the other turns the riser or "transfer" gears to the rear output and tailshaft . The load is balanced driving in a straight line or around corners till a wheel slips . Then the power (torque) goes out the path to the most lightly loaded wheel ie the slipping/spinning one . The viscous hub is just there to limit how fast one side gear can turn compared to the other side one . Being really road cars these need to be quiet and unobtrusive which also limits their effectiveness as an off road traction aid . If they had a serious middle LSD they do clank and do bind and thats part of the compromise .

For an all out competition tarmac car the 4 Matic system is best because it gives the best trade off of RWD characteristics with all paw traction . Its the system Nissan used in the original GTRs though in race trim they flicked all the G sensor electronic control gear .
What they do is have fixed RWD as in an inline engine and gearbox . The back of the gearbox has a transfer case with a multiplate wet clutch a la motorbike and a front output shaft connected to a front diff housed in the side of an aluminium engine sump . They use hydraulic pressure to vary the load from free to direct drive , smartys use the power steering pump as the pressure/fluid provider . In the road cars the wheel speed sensors detect slip and the ECU signals the wet clutch to progressively power the front diff .
The system doesn't wind up because when the wet clutch lets go all the drive is from the rear diff .
The race cars had what looked like a hydraulic handbrake with 5 or 6 steps ie from free to direct front diff drive , aside from launching the drivers set it to taste and left it alone . No way Nissan could do this with road cars so they have all the problematic electronic crap . They still had to build understeer into the roadies because Joe average wood duck always kills himself in cars designed to oversteer or understeer less anyway ...

There is no ultimate system other than long travel coil suspension attached to 6WD and four lockable diffs . In other words buy a 6WD Pinzgauer .

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:01 pm

discopotato03 wrote: There is no ultimate system other than long travel coil suspension attached to 6WD and four lockable diffs . In other words buy a 6WD Pinzgauer.
http://www.4x4road.com/tipspinz.html

Oh yeah baby :mrgreen:

Make those stupid Landcruisers look lame lol ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:08 pm

thinking about all this traction is fine, but i do not accept the old saying
who needs articulation if you've got lockers
we can lock the front and rear but until we start going mad with lift and flex. While offroading (rock hopping) isnt really my scene i know that this system doesnt do it all.

i think a rear locker would be better, then lock the center up

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:49 pm

You do realise this thread is 5 years old?

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:03 pm

yeah ahaha wondered why it got opened up again

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:11 pm

spike wrote:yeah ahaha wondered why it got opened up again
My fault :???:

Interesting discussion though, I reckon it'd work - if you've ever used one of these on farm machinery they cop a beating! Longevity wouldn't be an issue, the issue would be the rotational speed.

Gannon, don't take people's comments personally - they're not out to attack you, even if it seems like they are. Some of the best idea came from something crazy!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:21 pm

El_Freddo wrote: Gannon, don't take people's comments personally - they're not out to attack you, even if it seems like they are. Some of the best idea came from something crazy!
sorry gannon wasnt aiming anything at you just throwing my ball into the room

the idea would work, but the revs and duration would be the problem
and the work in hooking it up and having to replace it would be outragous

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:52 pm

I think the issue with Subarus is suspension travel , even if you could lock every diff can you keep enough feet on the ground to keep moving .
Don't think 6WDs with diff locks can't have every wheel turning at the same speed without actually moving . A bit exciting when it weights 24 tonnes and trying to drag it up steep rock shelves !
I think the most unstopable one I ever drove was an army prototype Leyland Mastiff 6WD . Big wide 18Rx22.5 super singles tyres and real good suspension travel .

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”