Twin Turbo EJ20H Questions

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Bradenrm

Twin Turbo EJ20H Questions

Post by Bradenrm » Wed May 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Hi Guys,

I've got a possible opportunity to get myself a twin turbo motor (complete with exhaust), loom, ecu, even a clutch-for around $500.

Obviously I'm fairly keen..

I have a 97 impreza sportswagon with a Naturally Aspirated (gutless :( ) ej20. The car comes fitted with nothing in the way of security like immobilisers, alarms, e.t.c.

My questions are-
Will it fit? (It's DOHC) I understand it can be difficult in a left hand drive vehicle.
Will I need an ignition barrel and key(s) to suit that ECU? What are my options? I'd like to use the standard barrel.

Anything else I should look into? I'm waiting on a history of the engine (other than was bought for a project and partially stripped) and whether or not it runs isn't much concern. I figure I'll build it up (I'm not allowed to drive it for 4 years, P plate restrictions) or if it's shagged, I'll get my $500 worth in learning :)

Thanks,

Braden

H-top

Post by H-top » Wed May 16, 2012 7:02 pm

you are in victoria and have a left hand drive suby?

that engine wont be immobilised.

how are u with wiring?
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Bradenrm

Post by Bradenrm » Wed May 16, 2012 7:14 pm

It's not LHD, it's normal, the only problems with installation I've been able to research is that it won't fit in a left hand drive car

Why won't the engine be immobilised? Can i use my original ignition barrel?

Wiring, mmm not great, If I get it i'll send to loom to gannon to check out and I'm keen to learn.

H-top

Post by H-top » Wed May 16, 2012 7:26 pm

your barrel has nothing to do with an immob anyway.
not all engines have them and especially none of that vintage.

but your car is not LHD so why the question? not being rude, im just not getting it?

that chassis is designed for a DOHC engine so its not an issue.

you will need along with many other parts;

a turbo crossmember
turbo radiator
ALL of the TT solenoids and sensors
lots and lots of wiring
and welding.

and bigger brakes etc for compliance
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Bradenrm

Post by Bradenrm » Wed May 16, 2012 8:00 pm

Alrighty, it'll fit :) awesome.

Now I'll need to track down a twin turbo crossmember from a liberty/legacy or will a turbo crossmember from a GC impreza suit?

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed May 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Really for what its worth, you are better off selling your impreza and buying a WRX, an early WRX can be had for 5-6K and will save you lots of hassle.
Failing that, get a 96 or 97 WRX front cut. That way you wont have to separately source brakes, crossmember, ect as H-top has pointed out.

If you do want to stick with this motor, you are better off ditching the 2nd turbo and finding a single turbo up pipe and TD04 turbo, and then blocking the left over turbo coolant/oil lines and run as a single turbo, it will save you headaches down the track.
I can convert the twin turbo loom to single turbo so it should plug into your Impreza. You will have to find a single turbo ECU though. Problem is that the TT system is very complicated and there is lots to go wrong when you use it in a conversion, especially if you have to find parts to complete it.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Bradenrm

Post by Bradenrm » Wed May 16, 2012 8:15 pm

So in spite of the fact that it's a complete motor e.t.c. for cheap, even by the time i've sourced brakes, e.t.c. I'm better off getting a WRX?

I've done stacks of searching and reading on converting to wrx and always found it concluded to be cost prohibitive, though I thought maybe with the engine et. al. being so cheap it'd work out in my favour. If that's not the case (I trust you guys 100%) then I'll buy myself a tablet for my birthday instead lol :)

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:42 pm

depends on if you are doing the work yourself the wrx will be a lot easier, and you also get there better suspension and brakes already
also i havnt heard many good things about the twin turbo set up
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”