Supercharger for Subaru?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 24, 2012 10:50 pm

its pink, norfolk chemicals, waterloo st queanbeyan is what I can picture in ma head, yellow star logo in a circle. it's in me mates workshop supplies. surely export to the regions ? It sits on the crap and bubbles and fizzes away, knunbelievable neat , meant to be diluted big time, and they call it water based degreaser

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 24, 2012 10:52 pm

wire brush and dettol ?? oops, wrong forum :)

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Fri May 25, 2012 12:46 am

steptoe wrote:its pink, norfolk chemicals, waterloo st queanbeyan is what I can picture in ma head, yellow star logo in a circle. it's in me mates workshop supplies. surely export to the regions ? It sits on the crap and bubbles and fizzes away, knunbelievable neat , meant to be diluted big time, and they call it water based degreaser
sounds like a alkali caustic solution that fizzes and dissolves away Aluminum!;),
it sure does appear to clean up Al, just be careful to not over-extend it.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri May 25, 2012 6:30 am

Sandblast it. Thats how auto electricians make alternators and starter motors look like new when they rebuild them
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Fri May 25, 2012 9:29 am

Not recommended to pull apart these SC's so sand is a no go zome me thinks.

will try the petrol and brasso, tried silvo and no change.

Will also google the problem.

Blow off valves. Need one. Ebay full of cheap ones and good ones too. Forums full of cheapies that end up in bits inside your engine.

Paid $167.50 for a middle of the road price good quality Turbosmart (039 3542962) Melbourne.And it ahs a flange.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TURBOSMART-P ... 43b00d3c68

EDIT!!!!

that BOV is for a WRX standard replacement. The type I needed was, according to Turbosmart, a 32 or even better a 38mm BOV plumb back. A good quality one set me back $300 today. But have peice of mind. This one will need to be welded to the manifold.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat May 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Grabbed some alloy flat plate and tube and filed away. Made a manifold for the SC exit. will do the same for the intake and join with blue silicone 75mm tube (expensive sh*t.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun May 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Amazing what you find in a shed when you're looking.

This had to come off my ea81 when I stripped the external stuff off it.

And the bearing is in good nick. Likely it came from a past A/C belt system. I'll get my engineer to turn it so it can rest against the back flat of the V-belt.

Make a good idler pulley for the supercharger. I'll hinge it and make a slot adjuster bar.

What I'm planning now is have a good look at pulley sizes I have on the crank when I get my trike back from the engineer this week and settle on a pulley size for the SC. then take it to a pulley joint to find out if I can get a pulley fitted that can be interchangable. Dont want complications alter down the track because I'm reaching 10-12 psi and not the desired 5-6 psi

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sun May 27, 2012 6:03 pm

well had to clean off the 20 years old grease and crap off the SC. So got a rag...from the clothes line...bright piunk nicker the misses wont miss em, then used some baking soda (used a tupperware containe rthe misses wont know went missing) then used vinegar and water.

Not much success. So asked my misses and she suggested her portable hand steam cleaner. better success. So needed a scourer and looked inside. Misses walking around saying..."havent got scourers in this house."

Thinking??

Then got the pantyhose off the misses (no easy task without consent....) and that was an improvement. Meaning it was a good scourer.

Out in the shed I hear yelling

"where's my baking soda"
"where my tupperware box"
"where my pantyhose?" (now resembling black fish net stockings)

Gee no wonder a guy cant finish his cleaning.... see told ya....she didnt miss the pink nickers....

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 pm

Tweety wrote:well had to clean off the 20 years old grease and crap off the SC. So got a rag...from the clothes line...bright piunk nicker the misses wont miss em, then used some baking soda (used a tupperware containe rthe misses wont know went missing) then used vinegar and water.

Not much success. So asked my misses and she suggested her portable hand steam cleaner. better success. So needed a scourer and looked inside. Misses walking around saying..."havent got scourers in this house."

Thinking??

Then got the pantyhose off the misses (no easy task without consent....) and that was an improvement. Meaning it was a good scourer.

Out in the shed I hear yelling

"where's my baking soda"
"where my tupperware box"
"where my pantyhose?" (now resembling black fish net stockings)

Gee no wonder a guy cant finish his cleaning.... see told ya....she didnt miss the pink nickers....
Bugger choked on my lettuce salad (note to self please remind me not to read Tweety posts whilst eating) eheheh pink nickers would match the pantyhose by now, don't be afraid give them to her:cool:

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon May 28, 2012 9:15 pm

haha olddog642...

Not happy with the alloy manifold. reject!

Too thin and soft metal. Tried to limit weight. This trike has an alloy monocogue chassis, integrated fuel tank and was made to hit only 450 kgms which was the national maximum for this type of trike until Jan 2011.

So adding a roof (45kgms), subie engine 5 kgms, radiator coolant and pipes and two hefty riders along with towing a small caravan that is heavier than all others towed by a panther trike then you see why weight is a concern.

Found some steel pipe and 3mm steel. tomorrow will be attacking it.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Mon May 28, 2012 10:03 pm

This is the Datsun 1600-2L intake manifold I have purchased on ebay.

I'll cut off one half to use my delorto carbie on the SC. and have one half left over. Note how the tubes go towards each other to get up close which I need so it is directd into the square gap intake of the SC12.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue May 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Busy day today on the project. Cut some slots to make the opening more sqaure like for the exit of the SC. and my Dellorto carb + a spare carb came in the mail today. Image Then after cutting out the 3mm steel plate I tack welded the pipe to it. I'll get my engineer to weld it fully. Image Image and can anyone tell me what this hole is for and what I do with it? Image and in this pic there is the throttle on the left. I assume the lever on the right hand side of the picture is the choke???

Point

Post by Point » Tue May 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Tweety wrote:and can anyone tell me what this hole is for and what I do with it?
Float bowl vent. usually covered by the air filter
Tweety wrote: I assume the lever on the right hand side of the picture is the choke???
Yes.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Tue May 29, 2012 9:48 pm

thanks point.

I dont have a choke on my weber 32/36. and never seemed to need it either.

I'm planning to make a see through box at the end of the carbie to mount a cold air intake. so will make sure that hole isnt blocked off.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Tweety wrote:This is the Datsun 1600-2L intake manifold I have purchased on ebay.

I'll cut off one half to use my delorto carbie on the SC. and have one half left over. Note how the tubes go towards each other to get up close which I need so it is directd into the square gap intake of the SC12.

So another SC12 is on order to make use of the other half of this manifold?? :twisted:

That'd look sick - two SC12s, one hanging off each side of the engine! Probably more of a performance drain than performance gain though!

It's getting exciting now, and I'm not anywhere near your shed!!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed May 30, 2012 6:41 pm

hahaha

Today I made a third manifold for the exit to the SC.

The first two were either too heavy or poorly wleded. glad I made a third one as it came up great. 1.6mm exhaust pipe 75mm diameter= perfect for 75mm silicone tube.

Manifold should be here Friday.

The pulley on the Sc needs to be 150mm, same as the large crank pulley (I have a triple pulley on the crank) to give 6psi boost. With a VE of 79% it should be 8psi in real terms. So dont want to go under 150mm. I want exchangable pulleys so this challenge is coming up.

Also gotta look at the dellorto main jets and seek advice on what side I should run when I first get it running. Rason is that if I accidentally run it too lean it can stuff the engine.

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Wed May 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Third time lucky or was it fourth try? to make a manifold?

Anyway got it this time.

the 4mm gal pipe was too heavy. 1.6mm steel pipe from where I got my exhausts done. Tested my welding as it was easy to blow holes through it. but got there in the end.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Do two of everything so you can sell the kit once you have ironed out the bugs !!
A SCU looks more impresive than a hidden down the back turbo :)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 30, 2012 11:42 pm

Someone tell Tweets about a dremel style tool and those little wire brushes - better than silver overspray.....

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Thu May 31, 2012 8:08 am

Dremels are AMAZING!
Buy the real thing though, so worth it!

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres