Subaru engines on the scales

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
steptoe
Master Member

Subaru engines on the scales

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:45 am

Not gonna help those that want to know weights for freight calculations, but ... I had an EJ16 stripped to just heads and one rocker cover, so block, crank and pulley, no flywheel no accessories sitting on the scrap merchants scales - readout was 111kg BUT also had an EA82 short motor with oil pump, filter and sump still part of it on the scales at same time. 25 cents a kilo for irony aluminium above 100kgs, below is just 15 cents a kg ! Another trip back with a boot load of two EA82 carb heads fetchd 75c for the pair !, a battery and numerous rocker covers etc, EJ intake manifold - all up netted $36. Really not worth the time or effort to strip , collect (hoard) or transport :( . Was one good way to get rid of a coupla boat anchors as they would not fit in the sulo bin real easy. Scrap prices are down considerably - I used to get 43c a kilo for lead batteries under 100kg, get it over 100kg job lot pushed it to 48c a kilo, never could get a tonne to find what that rate was, now, down to 20c a kilo under a 100kg.

alang

Post by alang » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:10 pm

you needed some bags of cans and some copper wire to do aby good with the trip

Ratbag

Hey

Post by Ratbag » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:02 pm

And you ARE being right-royally ripped off ...

These are the prices per pound in the US for poor quality scrap in 2011.

I haven't noticed that aluminium prices have dropped since then ...

Even the prices quoted in the above link are absurd, considering the price per tonne of smelted aluminium ingots. Very little cost is involved in turning scrap that has already been smelted once back into high grade ingots ...

And everyone is encouraging us to recycle everything (a very good idea, IMNSHO ... )?

Then why not pay a fair price for the material offered for recycling?

Question of basic ethics, IMFAO.
-

Regards, Ratbag

MY06 2006 XS Fox 5MT/DR, aka Roo2 (mine ... )
MY10 2009 XS Fox Sports Auto, aka RonnyRoo (SWMBO)

Previously:
1993 Impreza 5MT, aka Roo1, traded in on Roo2 in Dec 2011 at nearly 18 y.o. and 234K Kms.
And a dreaded Camry that had seriously expensive oil leaks, traded in on RonnyRoo June 2012 at 18 y.o. and 168K Kms.

SWMBO & I have each driven more than a million miles, so far ...

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:51 pm

suppose I should get some shares in SIMSmetal .

Met an old dealer of scrap from Riverina who told me he had a contractor earning two grand a week improving his irony aluminium to alloy standard stripping and ripping out the ferrous bits

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”