gearbox change

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
mr cactus

gearbox change

Post by mr cactus » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:44 am

Hi subi owners my L series will require a gear box change over as the current box grinds going into 3rd gear i have a spare box to throw in whats the best way to remove and replace the box by droping it out from the underneath or take it out with the engine:D also where can i pick up the bushes for the gear leavers here in perth :D

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:20 am

Fulcrum or repco.I would pull the lot out in one go.makes linning things up easier.
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

tambox

Post by tambox » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Depends on what tools you have and you.
Its quicker and easier to pull the box out.
Trickier, not impossible, to put back in if you have never changed one before.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:29 pm

If you have an engine hoist / jack take the box and the engine out together, as it really does make it easier to get it all back together again. and while you have it out do as many of the seals as you can.

If you can't get the bushes from anywhere in Perth, the member Frog is our parts got to guy.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 am

I also have a box spare that I have driven and know to be good, or was good until warmed up. Dunno if it was the oil needing a change, found the clutch was ready for the tip. Might be easier to try oil change, chuck in some additive G70 ? and maybe prepare to do clutch at same time. The boxes 4WD weigh about 55 to 60 kgs and are heavy on your guts if you try from underneath and built like me - picture stickman. I pull engine out first. Using chain block to assist with both box and engine

tambox

Post by tambox » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:47 pm

The box is heavy, difficult to lift, align and put back. I built a bracket that bolts onto the box and slips into the trolley jack, when I take the dish off. Slide the box under, roll it onto the jack and lift it up. Wheels and hydraulics on the trolley jack make it easy lift and align. Makes this job a lot easier for me and simpler than taking the motor out as well.

mr cactus

Post by mr cactus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks for the in put on this i'll run it out some more before i change it i have to many projects on the go and one that iam trying to complete at present, it's easy to pick up projects the hard part is finding time to work on them and i'am sure we all have that problem thanks :D

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Nice to see another guy from Morley ;) :) What colour is your L? I might of seen it around.... I see heaps of modded Soobs around morley (mostly lowered Foresters and Liberty's) Is it modded at all?

When I did the Forester a 30,000km ago I just dropped the box out. Wasn't too bad, did it with an experienced mate and I had never done it before. Wasn't real hard but a pain in the arse! All you really need is a trolly jack that goes quite high, lots of upper body strength, two people and thats about it.

I haven't done the motor and box as one yet but have done the motor separately and that was piss easy. Hell I'd rather replace the motor than swap over springs or shocks, it's probably quicker too.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:03 pm

mr cactus wrote:Hi subi owners my L series will require a gear box change over as the current box grinds going into 3rd gear
I don't think this is the reason to be swapping a gearbox! Third gear's synchro goes due to not using the clutch properly and miss matching speed and revs in the process; it also goes first in a suburban vehicle as it's commonly the most used gear to swap in and out of once on the move.

Other things you could look at: clutch adjustment or changing the way you shift into third - don't jam it in, let it slide in, this can take a bit to get used to.
Change the gearbox oil for something heavier to help with lubrication.

My gearbox sometimes grinds going into 3rd and/or 5th.
mr cactus wrote:also where can i pick up the bushes for the gear leavers here in perth :D
This will help with gear selection! And you don't have to remove the gearbox to do it.

But if you want to do it to see if it helps or to learn how to swap a gearbox, go for it! Also check out the condition of your clutch while you've got the box out - it's a good time to replace it if need be ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”