Idle hunting and stalling h6

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
hydrowill

Idle hunting and stalling h6

Post by hydrowill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:12 pm

OK so my H6 outback is getting regoed soon. One last problem is that it is hunting a little bit at idle.
Also if you disengage the clutch at high revs the motor will die, eg if coming to a stop at lights and you go from third or fourth or whatever to neutral then the motor will stall, however if you downshift almost to a stop then it will return to idle OK. Have got the engine management light on, it won't go off however because the car has been converted to M/T.

Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:15 pm

hydrowill wrote:Have got the engine management light on, it won't go off however because the car has been converted to M/T.
Ahhh...always fun converting auto to manual or vice-versa. Someone here will have some useful tricks for you
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:25 pm

So you're running a manual ECM now?

I'll bet your ECM code is for vehicle speed.
Common problem with lots of cars stalling on coast to a stop.
Regards

Gary ;)

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:31 am

No still have the auto ECM, there was no manual h6 gen 3 outback. It has basically been tricked into thinking it is in neutral so there are no issues with the auto trans controller. But yeah the speedo is not running through the computer it's hard wired into the dash.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:17 am

Have you checked the codes to see why the check engine light is on?

I think you should connect the speed sensor input of the ECU to the speed sensor that is supplying the dash.

Who did the conversion?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:49 am

There are two speedo senders on the auto trans that go to the tcu then from there to the cruise control. That's about as far as I got going that way an nothing was really working so I went straight into the dash. So there should be an input into the ECM? Bridge a wire from the dash to the ECM? I did the conversion.

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:51 am

And no I hadn't checked the codes cause I wasn't sure how to do that on the h6

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:05 pm

Im pretty sure the H6 doesnt have the black plug required for reading stored codes, but should have green connectors that when connected with the ignition, but not running should make all relays cycle on and off and will show current faults.

To read stored codes you will need an OBD-II reader, it plugs into a 16pin "D" shaped connector below the steering wheel and hooks up to either a laptop or some models can bluetooth it to your andriod phone. Can be bought for under $30 off ebay
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Yeahp I know the plug. Looks like I'll be investing in one of these leads. Will the check engine light cycle the codes.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Actually, if you just pulled the auto box out and replaced it with a manual, where did you connect the speed sensor wire from the manual box? If you just spliced it into the green/black wire and didnt cut it, it should still be sending a signal to the ECU and the OP connector

This is the op connector and its located under the steering wheel near the wiper de-icer relay and the power window circuit breaker

Speed signal wire is green/black and terminates at pin 5, second row down from the top, second pin in from the left.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm

My car does the same thing (also manual converted H6).

I've had my car diagnosed and it has no codes coming up. I have replaced TPS (twice), IACV, MAP sensor, all 3 oxygen sensors with no change. Been to two Subaru mechanics with a good reputation who were also stumped.

Have you wired up the car to be in neutral or to be in gear at all times? Al at AMauto who did my conversion solved some issues he had by doing on of the above. Can't remember what he did in the end though, i'd suggest sending him an email to find out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Few so It's not just me then. Wired it to be in neutral all the time otherwise the car won't start.

Spoke to al briefly on the phone, he was kinda busy tho I gather from the call.

May have to go for a holiday to noosa some time to get him to check it out. Ah well I hope it gets through the rwc.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 pm

hydrowill wrote:Few so It's not just me then.
Haha no its not just you lol. You could also send Dulagarl a PM (not sure if he's on AUSubaru though, you can find him on OffRoadSubarus.com). He also has a manual converted H6
May have to go for a holiday to noosa some time to get him to check it out. Ah well I hope it gets through the rwc.
Thats the best excuse for a trip to Noosa I've ever heard lol :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Yeah well considering I'm heading to Byron in a few days I might just have to shoot up an go surf noosa too, what a shame. Yeah Gannon I just spliced it in so it should be still connected. I find it weird how the speedo sometimes sits on 20kmh when you are stopped though. I tried a computer reset but now it is idleing at like 1500rpm and doing weird revvy shit wtf. I might try another reset and just let it idle whilst the computer is re learning instead of driving it round.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:40 pm

NachaLuva wrote:Haha no its not just you lol. You could also send Dulagarl a PM (not sure if he's on AUSubaru though, you can find him on OffRoadSubarus.com). He also has a manual converted H6
The only thing with Dualgarl's H6 is that it's not factory ECU etc - where as Hydro will's and Venom's H6s are... That's where the issue comes in.
hydrowill wrote:I tried a computer reset but now it is idleing at like 1500rpm and doing weird revvy shit wtf. I might try another reset and just let it idle whilst the computer is re learning instead of driving it round.
It will be learning it's idle etc. Driving it around will be no good until it's settled. I freaked out the first time I did this too!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”