ERG gasket Brumby wanted

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
badga880

ERG gasket Brumby wanted

Post by badga880 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:21 am

There is a round gasket between the exhaust outlet and the ERG fitting and the engine pipe does anyone know where I can get 2 as everywhere I have tried says no longer available any suggestion for a replacement would be great
Thanks

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 07, 2014 7:25 am

is this a gasket that sits in a groove or recess of the cast iron lump that bolts to heads exhaust port between the Y pipe 'header' ? Think I have seen a gasket in the cast iron thing, never emovd or replaced it, but any silicone should do instead, just apply it so no extra goes inside and shoots towards the cat - might not like it.

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Wed May 07, 2014 10:11 pm

I'd probably just make sure you use a copper based heat proof silicone :)
steptoe wrote:any silicone should do instead, just apply it so no extra goes inside and shoots towards the cat - might not like it.
My cat doesn't like silicone, he has learnt not to come near me when working on cars, lol....."here mobile rag, where are you?" lol

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 07, 2014 10:18 pm

silicone is pretty heat proof ! Your cat reminds me of neighbours cat that came over when I was doing the front wheel bearings of my old Ford, using the hub cap to wash the bearings in fuel. Before I knew it , the cat stopped to take a drink from the hubcap, obviously not put off by the smell, saw me and pissed off across the road. But, halfway across he stopped dead in his tracks, coughed, spluttred and died. He ran out of petrol :p

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:45 pm

I found some at my local exhaust guy. Was close to something else and worked perfectly. I also use some of that CRC Exhaust Cement, which probably would have worked on the old ones?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:48 pm

Proton mouse wrote:My cat doesn't like silicone, he has learnt not to come near me when working on cars, lol....."here mobile rag, where are you?" lol
Not that this affects the OP but I highly recommend not using silicone on any EFI cars, it tends to give the O2 sensors false readings, so I stick to the CRC stuff for all cars :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

badga880

Post by badga880 » Thu May 08, 2014 5:58 am

Ok thanks for the info will have to go with adding a bit extra sealant on old gaskets ...Steptoe yep the round ones in the groove .
Thanks again people

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 08, 2014 7:23 am

just wondering if it is the sealing rings from Diesel Toyota's cast iron exhaust manifold that'd be same size ? The six cylinders at least - used a two piece manifold, with a round male/female type join with a ring seal

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”