MY accelerator cable

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Cliff R
General Member

MY accelerator cable

Post by Cliff R » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:48 pm

I was going to take the MY Wagon to work tomorrow for a run so I could prepare the Suzuki Grand Vitara to change the LH steering shaft which apparently is worn and has caused the car to fail rego.
BUT, tonight the accelerator cable on the MY broke.
I failed to recognise the idle issue was being caused by the cable and instead kept going back to the carby linkage looking for an issue,,, DOH !!!

Anyway, do we know if there were different sorts/lengths/sizes of accelerator cable on the MY's/Brumby's or are they all the same.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:53 pm

All the same, carbie L series cable will work too.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:31 pm

L cable has different fitting at pedal end , no? I think L cable is next size up in the outer cable and its threaded rod bit ? MY and Brumby have all been same when I have looked, and genuine was about 40 bucks. Can you repair by using an inner cable from a bike shop ? I used to make my own handbrake cables with correct size mild steel ends, 1.0mm hole drilled and solder in with soldering iron - held hand brake stresses.

In US the aftermarket cables I got were a bit sloppy in the end fit, and longer from LHD cars :)

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:44 pm

steptoe wrote:L cable has different fitting at pedal end , no? I think L cable is next size up in the outer cable and its threaded rod bit ?
Nope, bought an L series cable from a dealer once and it was a perfect fit. When I tried to explain to the guy what car I was talking about (81' wagon) he couldn't think back far enough past L series :roll:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:37 pm

OK. I have only pulled them out, never tried to interswap them. Now Cliff is worried :)

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Went to the local wreckers today for a cable.
Was quoted $40 and stated (basically) this was a bit steep.
Got the price down to $30 (pays to ask doesn't it)
As the public isn't allowed past the front counter (don't get me started on this issue) I gave them my original, stuffed cable as a sample and they came back with a good cable.
I believe it came out of an MY wagon but as I couldn't have a look, I don't know exactly what the L series cable would look like as a comparison.
The next closest wreckers is about 40 minutes away and as I don't have the time to go there for a couple of weeks I will have to wait to check things out.
Before I fit the new cable I want to ensure it is all lubricated up.
I have somewhere a cable lubricator. It clamps and seals around one end of the cable outer sheath and also seals around the same ends inner cable. WD40/RP7 is squirted into the side of the lubricator and the lube is forced down into the inner section of the cable.
In my case I want to use some white liquid lube like is used in a stick form to normally lube hinges etc. It is in a spray can. There is no way this cable wont be lubed up or I will end up in the same boat with a busted cable again.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:10 pm

best stuff I have found for cables and many other jobs is the heavy duty Lanotec, leaves WD556 for dead ! They probably deserve the 30 bucks for getting cable out of firewall intact

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:10 pm

steptoe wrote:They probably deserve the 30 bucks for getting cable out of firewall intact
Very true! :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Willy Fisterbottom

Post by Willy Fisterbottom » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:51 pm

L series won't fit MY. L series has a ball on cable at the pedal. MY has a cylinderical shape like carby end.
I broke my accelerator cable a few months back in my MY hardtop, I ended up McGyvering the choke cable for a hand throttle to get me home.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:37 am

That's what I left out in why no same, but guess a SA delivery market was a little different, or the genuine parts guy was a funny bugger

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:49 am

Sheesh, the amount of confusion when asking for parts on these cars :roll: I remember the conversation well;
"I need an accelerator cable for an 81' wagon"
"Is that the L series?"
"No, the model before that"
"BEFORE that?! that's an old car! All I can find is L series cable, try it and if it doesn't work we will refund"

So he must have given me an MY cable without realizing it?? Beats me...let my previous comments be stricken from the record :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:16 pm

You have to be careful, some wreckers call the MY Series the L.Series.. wombats !!

Just make sure you tell them 1980-1984 model with the EA81 motor, otherwise they might think you're referring to the pre 1980 EA71 model.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Yep, went through the whole "it isn't an L series it is earlier, they were known as the MY series though both the MY and the L series may be known as a Leonie"
I don't think that "computed" very well.
Anyway, the Sooby is back in action. I forgot how excellent the cable lubricator attachment was. Put it onto one end of the cable and even with the fairly thick Lanolin/white spray lube it pushed all they way through to the other end of the cable.
I still cant believe how focused I was on trying to find an accelerator issue with the carby and totally ignoring the accelerator cable.
Need to remember to think outside the box in the future.
Will also remember to get a hold of another spare cable when time permits.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:19 am

put an order in with rockauto, they are about $6 each, just may need some file work on the crimped end to find the carby, are a few inches longer than RHD MY cables :)

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”