Brumby - what do I need to do to keep it running smooth?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Robbo78

Brumby - what do I need to do to keep it running smooth?

Post by Robbo78 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:18 pm

So I have myself a 1991 Brumby with 220,000 km. The service book records that the last dealer service was at about 170,000km (though I am sure it has been serviced since then).

Never having owned a subaru before what sort of thing should I be paying attention to to keep it running sweet?

What about timing chains? Do thse need to be replaced (does it even have them).

...so as you may have picked up I'm pretty clueless but keen!

Are service manuals available etc.

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:01 pm

The brumby motors are as simple as it gets, no timing chains/belts or anything fancy like sensors to worry about.

All you really need to do is change the oil, plugs, leads and filters when needed, your's should have an electronic distributor so no points to worry about.

One thing to which is the thermo switch in the radiator that turns on your thermo fans tend to die and just not turn them on.

You can just take the wire off the back of it and attach it to any earth (I use -ive battery terminal) this will make it so that as long as the key is on acc or higher then the fans are on.

You can also use an overide switch to give you a bit more control of them.

Also occaisionally you may want to adjust your tappets if they get a bit noisey, makes no real significant performance difference but makes the engine a lot quieter.

I think thats about it.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:18 pm

Yep, that's about it.

Filters, oil and water. Try not to let it get too hot either.

wildhorse

Post by wildhorse » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:10 pm

whats the result of letting it get to hot. like underload going up a 6 mile hill towing a trailer beyond it's recommendations?

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:16 pm

Very easy to crack heads between valves or blow head gaskets.

Robbo78

Post by Robbo78 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:16 am

No worries guys thanks for the tips...

I'll keep an eye on the thermo fans to make sure they swith on.

One other thing ... is it standard for there to be two thermo fans on the radiator? My brother in law only has one on his 1990 brumby (no A/C).

Would I be right in assuming because mine has A/C the extra fan is a factory thing?

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:00 am

Yes, you are correct. The fan on the driver's side is the thermofan, the fan on the passenger side is the AC fan that is activated when the AC is in use.

stinky

Post by stinky » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:25 am

Also make sure you use good quality coolant and not water in the radiator!

wildhorse

Post by wildhorse » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:49 am

MUDRAT wrote:Yes, you are correct. The fan on the driver's side is the thermofan, the fan on the passenger side is the AC fan that is activated when the AC is in use.

Both my fans activate at the same time with or without the A/C on. Seems to cool things down well.

Robbo78

Post by Robbo78 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:51 pm

So from what I'm reading it seems like a good idea to bypass the thermo switch for the normal fan and the A/C activated fan and just have them run all the time ...

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:53 pm

In some conditions it can make the engine run too cold but generally it's fine.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:09 pm

Robbo78 wrote:So from what I'm reading it seems like a good idea to bypass the thermo switch for the normal fan and the A/C activated fan and just have them run all the time ...
Yeah but throw in an override switch on the dash too .. that way if it's
REALLY cold you can turn them off. Or better yet have a switch to switch it between "always on" and the thermo switch.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:58 pm

you really don't want them both running all the time, unless you are doing the six miles up hill with trailer and 25+ degrees

it is not too hard to renew the switch in the radiator if it does stop working

my a/c has gone to make way for other things, still have two fans, have two a/c switches on dash side by side, being manual on/off for fans.

often thought when in traffic I should have a relay set up through brake light circuit so when stopped and foot on brakes, fans cut in.!

make sure you have EA81 cast into block behind dizzy or no plastic timng belt covers at front to ensure you do have the cog driven camshaft engine and not some updated powerhouse, before you go taking our advise their is no belts.

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:23 pm

jono wrote:make sure you have EA81 cast into block behind dizzy or no plastic timng belt covers at front to ensure you do have the cog driven camshaft engine and not some updated powerhouse, before you go taking our advise their is no belts.
All Brumbys had EA81's. Its quite a bit of a fiddle to fit the EA82, you have to cut the chassis rails even more extensively than if you were fitting an EJ20T! It will be an EA81.
jono wrote:often thought when in traffic I should have a relay set up through brake light circuit so when stopped and foot on brakes, fans cut in.!
I know a guy who has a two door HQ with a 400 chev (they are prone to overheating) and he has his thermofan set up like this. Much smarter than having it on all the time I must say, but IMO not as good as a dash override switch.

Remember also that having a fan running at freeway speed will actually work worse than not having it on. Downstream or upstream mounted, a running fan will cause less air to flow through the radiator, by causing either a vacuum pocket or pressure pocekt depending on which side it's mounted. I've found this to be quite noticeable in my coupe, which is very sensitive with its cooling system.

Robbo78

Post by Robbo78 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:45 am

All sounds like great advice.
Yeah but throw in an override switch on the dash too .. that way if it's REALLY cold you can turn them off. Or better yet have a switch to switch it between "always on" and the thermo switch.

Cheers,

Robbo

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:57 am

I gotta say, I think the way Subaru designed it in the first place is the best way to have it set up - just make sure all your sensors are in good working order, your fans work properly and your radiator is full of good coolant.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”