Front lower ball joint replacement

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Kaffine

Front lower ball joint replacement

Post by Kaffine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:50 pm

Hey all

Just an ask for some quick advice. I'll be changing the'83 wagons lower ball joints this weekend and wondered if there was a easy way of accomplishing this. I've read the manual but some real life advise would be great.

Thanks
Kaffine

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:59 pm

I havent read the manual as it was quite an easy job , just it is a good idea to give the shaft a good spray of crc or similar a few days before to make them easier to knock out .

Mike.
ImageImage

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:11 pm

Depends how good n stuck they are. For super welded in types, drop the ball joint, the two 17mm nuts holding the radius rod on and the 14mm bolt on the cross member and get the arm onto a bench. Remove the 17mm slotted nut on the ball joint and belt the crappola out of it with the hammer, fit the new joint and move on. If you need to reuse the balljoints then removal is different and involves a bigger hammer.

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Kaffine

Post by Kaffine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:13 pm

AHA!

just as I thought, Ya see the manual mentions something about a 'puller', now I was sure this was a spelling error and they meant to say 'Hammer' now I did buy some new ball joints so all have to worry about is the amount of swing room I have under the wagon. HEHEHE

Thanks all for the advise
Kaffine

smoov

Post by smoov » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:21 pm

a puller is actually a fork looking type of device which you are meant to use to pull out the ball joints with. it has a slant in the fork, where you hammer the end of the 'puller' and the fork end wedges itself further and further in between the ball joint and its 'socket' the more you hit it with, hence 'pulling' the joint out with.

if you still don't understand, i can take a photo tomorrow for ya ;)
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Kaffine

Post by Kaffine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:36 pm

Hey smoov

thanks for the offer but your desription says it all I've seen them around, I may even have one someware deep under all the hammers. Now you did say that the puller is 'meant' to be used to pull out the ball joint by this I gather that a hammer and a large lump of wood could be used in its place or are you going to make me go search for that elusive puller from the depths of my garage. gee come to think it may still be in its wrapper. hehehehehe.. I always thought the back yard mechanics was a contact sport..MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Chat soon
Kaffine

smoov

Post by smoov » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:38 pm

glad to hear that you got the visual in your head ok...

i had to re-read what i wrote at least ten times, making sure it all made sense!!! :lol:
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Kaffine

Post by Kaffine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:49 pm

And what makes you think that what is written in a forum has to make sense... :wink:

I spent the hours of light after work cleaning the rims and noticed I only have 1/3 of a can left so it may be another trip to supercheap for some of that $2.99 spray. I also found a photo of my old subaru '83 wagon i bought about 7 years ago a sand coloured wagon with the name of 'desert rat' inscribed on the rear gate, why did I sell that....must get my act together and get some photos of my current wagon so i can see how it improves..

chat soon

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”