Tappet Chatter my last annoying noise

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Kaffine

Tappet Chatter my last annoying noise

Post by Kaffine » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:01 pm

Hey All

I've had my '83 for a whole 3 weeks now and have eliminated 2 exhaust leaks a loose engine mount and a very loose oil filler cap but the dam passenger side tappets are still noisey, the stereo deafens the racket but in the back of my mind I know its still there. :(

I've had the rocker covers off and checked the gaps 0.25mm inlet and 0.35 exhaust which be the mid point between the Gregorys manual tolerences ( the guage slides thru with a bit of help not loose) but still the chatter is there. The springs seem OK no breaks.

Need some help from those in the know

Oh yeah its a Ea81 if thats not bleeding obvious. :roll:

Also feeling a bit a kick thru the steering wheel if I back off the accelerater in 1st gear..

Thanks in Advance :)

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:26 pm

My last ea81 i got a mobile mechanic to do my tappets.... best $40 i have ever spent. Also your tappet noise could be related to your oil pump. Not sure how to test this though.

Steering... im not sure about that... would have to drive it and have a play to work that one out... Steering ball joints maybe.

Dave

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:34 pm

I've heard some people prefer to do the tappets wit the engine running, just tighten them till the noise stops. I don't know how well this works but I do know oil goes every where.

As for the steering, if theres no clunk or other noises when it happens it could be unevenly worn tyres, I've had this a few times, if this is it you'll probably find that the car pulls to one side when you punch it and the other side of you jump off the accelerator suddenly.

Try doing a tyre rotation.

Otherwise it could be tie rod ends, ball joints, worn bushes, theres more but they're the most obvious ones.

But with those there should be an associated noise when it happens.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Kaffine

Post by Kaffine » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:57 pm

Aha thats it ,the guy that did my CV boots said that the ball joints were in need of replacement guess that answers that, the front tyres are new. I was thinking of doing the tappets with the engine running but I thought it would be hard to keep the spanner on whilst the tappets were bouncing up and down..to be honest I thought it would look quite funny to watch. If all else fails I'll give it a go and bring the video along for some comic relief..

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 pm

I 2nd that... would love to see someone working with them little spanners on the tappets while it's going. AHAHAH. Funniest thing i have heard all night.

Dave

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:27 pm

Nener mind adjusting while it's running imagine trying to do up the lock nuts :lol: :lol:

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”