Help!!

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
wrx99-000

Help!!

Post by wrx99-000 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:48 pm

hey, finally saved enough to buy myself my dream car, 99 wrx, started when i was 16 now 19, took me 3 yrs but i got there! the car has been perfect for 3 months, but recently hasnt been going like i first bought it. the problem was the air flow meter, now that i changed that the car returned semi normal, i mean like now at least the rev's go past 3000 rpm. the problem now is that it doesnt redline as fast as it used too when i first bought it. its been well looked after and serviced. but still doesnt go as hard as it used too. umms what else can i say its completley stock like my friends but when i go in his 99 wrx its like when i first bought my car!!! redlines like myn used too.

does anyone have any idea's so i know what im talking about when i go to subaru?

thanks in advanced and i cant believe i found this website.. definatly going to put in a reference on myspace.

thanks again

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 07, 2008 11:05 am

How's the condition of the turbo?

I'm no turbo guru, but there are some around here that are and will have a great body of knowledge to draw from.

Good luck

Cheers

Bennie

PS welcome to the forum!
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cam

Post by Cam » Wed May 07, 2008 11:10 am

wrx99-000 wrote: redlines like myn used too.
And how often would it be redlined?

Fuel, ignition would be the first things i'd check...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 07, 2008 5:33 pm

I thought a little more about what I posted - it was a post and run situation...

How long has it been since your fuel filter has been replace?

Does the fuel pump make any nasty noises/work properly? A lack of fuel pressure will not allow the engine to rev freely/properly/high or at all in some cases

Is there any internal damage from redlining all the time? Any smoke produced?

Other than that I'd check the oxygen sensor, but I don't think that would have anything to do with this problem you're experincing...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Wed May 07, 2008 5:49 pm

Id also check for any air leaks, any or different whistling sounds.

And also the cat, if they melt which I guess is quite possible from a faulty air/fuel mixture they can really restrict the flow.

wrx99-000

Post by wrx99-000 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:10 pm

turbo is in a1 condition and so is the engine(replaced by subaru), its only been redlined by myself a handfull of times but what i meant was taken close to redline (high rpm 5 - 6000)..... fuel filter hasnt been changed, but no unusual noises, im thinking its a sensor of some sort.. similiar to the air flow any ideas... thanks heaps

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed May 07, 2008 10:57 pm

If the problem was tracked to the air flow meter then I'd say the lingering issues would be directly related to that.

If the car was run and driven for a while with a faulty air flow meter (running like crap) then it's pretty likely your spark plugs have been all fouled up with soot etc.
Take them out and either clean or replace, see if that improves things.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Wed May 07, 2008 11:06 pm

and maybe reset the ECU to?
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu May 08, 2008 6:12 am

If it feels like a sensor to you then maybe it is. It is very hard to tell what it is when you aren't driving it. However, it could be a number of things as already suggested.

If it feels like the engine is retarded and timing or sensor is out, then it is a good chance the knock sensor is making the computer pull the timing back. Could be a number of faults. Dirty plugs, poor fuel, bad air flow sensing.

If it feels like the car is just lacking all round then it could also be a number of things playing up. Air leaks in the inlet. Check all clamps are tight from the Air flow metre, to the turbo, to the intercooler to the throttle body. If the engine has been out and/or the air flow changed there is a very good chance that one of the clamps has been missed.

Check that all the lines running to the boost controller are on. One from the manifold, one from the turbo, one from the waste gate. They will run up to the boost controller on the drivers side strut tower.

wrx99-000

Post by wrx99-000 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:53 pm

yeh i think it might be the plugs! because everything else is secure, ive checked a few times. ill check them out tomorrow.
thanks for your time guys.... ill repost when i figure it out!

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”