4wd light on when it shouldnt be (L series)

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
daveosubi

4wd light on when it shouldnt be (L series)

Post by daveosubi » Thu May 15, 2008 4:50 pm

Yesterday on the way to work I noticed the 4wd light was intermittently lighting up, I didnt notice any weird sounds like it was actually going in. On the way home it was the same but sometimes fairly dim. I was driveing more sprirted than usual but was thrashing it.

I also did notice it happening on all the bottom gears ie. 2nd and 4rth.

I suspected the gb mount again but the dr leaver still had clearance in the console underload, and a after a quick look underneath and it seemed good still. Im guess some electrical problem but what?

I also noticed this while my head was under there, should this shaft be exposed like this? (it's from the back of the gearbox

I'm sure I saw a post about this but couldnt find it searching

Any ideas?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 15, 2008 4:57 pm

Hey Davosubi!

I reckon your on the money with the electrical issue, make sure there's no water in the plugs on top of the gearbox - there should be two white plugs from memory under the spare wheel. Water or enough condesation could be shorting it out, the switch may be faulty - thats mounted on the side of the gearbox...

I can't see the pic due to school server restrictions (bans/blocks certain image hosting sites :evil:). But i'm guessing that you're looking at the 4wd lever that comes out of the gearbox. If you use 4wd often enough a part of this shaft will look clean or polished with no mud/road grime on it.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Thu May 15, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks El Freddo

Yep it's some exposed shaft for the 4wd, whew!, Ive looked underneath a few times when it's been on a hoist but havent noticed it before, must have been grimey.

Condensations sounds like a goer, it was foggy and cold yesterday morning but it seemed to only happen in 2nd 4th not 1st or 3rd so possibly a switch still?

I forgot to mention it hasnt happen at all today, and the weather has been better. It did happen all day yesterday, in the morning afternoon and night.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 15, 2008 5:38 pm

My brake fluid light comes on with these cold mornings, it'll stay on til later in the day, there's enough fluid in there so no problems.

The switch could still be dodgy, but def check out the wiring plugs first ;) Its the easiest to do. Maybe get under the car and check for any damage in the wiring before pulling the switch if nothing else works...

And those little oil seal rings on the 4wd shaft (two of them) and the one for the gear selector are expensive buggers - $80 for the three of them. Crazy!

Good luck with it

Cheers

Bennie

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Thu May 15, 2008 6:53 pm

isnt the 4wd light on the actual kind of lever inside the Cabin ??

(i didnt read all posts so dont no if it was mentioned)

i thought there was only the switch for the "LOW" side of things on the box
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Thu May 15, 2008 7:12 pm

i have another suggestion. those white plugs are connected to some bolts on the side of the gearbox. check the tightness of those bolts they can cause flickering of the light..

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Thu May 15, 2008 7:30 pm

My LO range light does the same thing. On sometimes, then off, flickers sometimes. If i actually use the lo range gears though it definitely lightens up another notch, so its not a mechanical issue. Once i've used lo range it usually goes off for a while before starting again.

Cars still going so i just ignore it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 15, 2008 8:58 pm

Matatak wrote:isnt the 4wd light on the actual kind of lever inside the Cabin ??

(i didnt read all posts so dont no if it was mentioned)

i thought there was only the switch for the "LOW" side of things on the box
It may be that way for the MY (don't think it is though), but its defenetly not that way with the L series - both High and Lo range lights are switched from near the rear of the gearbox, not from the lever inside the car.

The lever's rod goes through the back of the gearbox, with a series of mechanisms to engage the rear end (turing on the 4wd dash light) then another push to lo range moves the rod further in, engaging low range (through the rod that goes out the front end, rear of the gearbox, pushing on the little lever just behind the bell housing) and turning on the lo range light.

The rod that goes into the gearbox and out the other side (on the rear extension housing) is not a one piece unit, its actually two pieces that make the selecting of hi and lo 4wd a rather complicated process... It all relies on some ball springs to help hold bits and pieces together as you engage and disengage hi and lo range. I'm just glad that I didn't drop any of those balls into the gearbox trying to get it all back together...

Hope that helps with how it all works.

Cheers

Bennie

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Thu May 15, 2008 9:06 pm

OOOO yer.

that was a dumb post, i see now.

confused myself coz i hooked the 5speed up and coz the MY's do have the 4wd switch on the lever it turns on my LOW light on dash. (shouldnt be hard to swap around but doesnt bother me much lol)

i guess the switch itself culd be shorting out inside or dead. also check its tight
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

twilightprotege

Post by twilightprotege » Thu May 15, 2008 9:21 pm

i have the same issue, and i think it's just the switch on the box. i've cleaned everything and even taken the switch out to clean it, still comes on. it's not a problem, just annoying.

06 Foz, 2" lift, 225/70/16 tyres

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Matatak wrote:OOOO yer.

that was a dumb post, i see now.

confused myself coz i hooked the 5speed up and coz the MY's do have the 4wd switch on the lever it turns on my LOW light on dash. (shouldnt be hard to swap around but doesnt bother me much lol)

i guess the switch itself culd be shorting out inside or dead. also check its tight
Maybe, but at least it was coherent. I must say (and it is off topic) I'm impressed with your posts these days, namely how well they are now written.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”