early dual range gurus - help me out!

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:31 am

all parts are from a 1992 GX. both ends of the cable have a 10mm ID eye and an 8mm OD pin. The box has been out of the car at some stage though as the transfer housing is very clean compared to the rest of the box.

I fitted the bushes on the weekend and there is no slop at all now. It seems to have given me slightly more throw and the few times I have tested it the gears have engaged properly. I am sure the slop is meant to be there though so i still dont really understand whats going on. Might be something wrong with the box internally.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:39 pm

vincentvega wrote: Might be something wrong with the box internally.
For your sake I hope not! If you do open it up swap your diff ratios out to 4.11:1 - you won't be disappointed!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:13 pm

vincentvega wrote:1. I cant reliably select low range. i pull the lever all the way up and more often than not when I let the clutch out (in neutral) i get a grinding noise and the dual range lever moves forward. Is there adjustment on the dual range selection cable?
There is no adjustment on the cable but from what I've read in later posts is that you are missing the rubber bushing that comes with the new cable. Unfortunately they are not available separately. You could make some up using some nylon rod and a lathe. As for the grinding, then I think this has something to do with your second question. Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging enough and this is making the input shaft to continue to spin a little, this making it grind in to low and hard to select 1st. The easiest way to check this is to try and select 1st gear and or low range when the engine is off. Another thing to check is gearbox oil. If it's too thick, then your shaft and synchros won't slow down enough.
vincentvega wrote:2. i have trouble engaging first gear when stationary. A blip on the throttle seems to help but sometimes I have to engage second then it lets me get first. very annoying when trying to take off from the lights! When the car is rolling first is very easy to get (even at a reasonable speed) its just when i'm stationary.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:14 pm

read my last post mate I have already fitted bushes front and rear. ended up cutting down a 30mm bronze bush into the sizes I needed.

the clutch is disengaging. i get grinding when i let the clutch out, not when the clutch is in. the problem was not enough throw on the low range selector causing low range not to engage fully.

I dont think oil has anything to do with it as 1st is still hard to engage with the engine off. I run redline lightweight shockproof. not sure if it is considered thick or not?
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:46 pm

vincentvega wrote:read my last post mate I have already fitted bushes front and rear. ended up cutting down a 30mm bronze bush into the sizes I needed.
Sorry for missing the part about you making new ones.

vincentvega wrote:the clutch is disengaging. i get grinding when i let the clutch out, not when the clutch is in. the problem was not enough throw on the low range selector causing low range not to engage fully.

I dont think oil has anything to do with it as 1st is still hard to engage with the engine off. I run redline lightweight shockproof. not sure if it is considered thick or not?
Again, I'm sorry if I'm upsetting you, as I didn't read anywhere (in the below posts) that you mentioned that in grinds when you let the clutch out. I don't understand why you'd be selecting gears or low range whilst letting out the clutch but I must be reading this wrong.

Oil plays a very large part in allowing gear/synchros to work correctly. I'm sure is like putting standard transmission fluid in a Subaru automatic instead of Dextron III. If it's hard to get in to gear when the engine is off, then I think you'll need some higher help.
vincentvega wrote:2. i have trouble engaging first gear when stationary. A blip on the throttle seems to help but sometimes I have to engage second then it lets me get first. very annoying when trying to take off from the lights! When the car is rolling first is very easy to get (even at a reasonable speed) its just when i'm stationary.
vincentvega wrote:You misunderstood my first gear problem. I can get 1st whilst moving quite easily, even at a reasonable speed. I have trouble getting 1st when im stationary. I am getting used to it though so i'm not too worried.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”