L-series gearbox vibration

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
subalex

L-series gearbox vibration

Post by subalex » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:37 pm

It seems my L-series wagon can't wait for funds to get the AWD gearbox from Jordan. In recent weeks the standard EA dual range gearbox has been making some light 'dry bearing' sounds and now it's got a decent vibration that makes the tailshaft vibrate at moderate throttle.

I've taken the propeller shaft off and plugged the back of the gearbox with a soft-drink can and some sealant to reduce the noise until I get the gearbox situation fixed.

Question is this: Before I covered up the back of the gearbox I found that I could move the output shaft with a little 'clunk' forwards and backwards. No movement up or down. At 335,000k's I'd expect some wear and tear but is this more likely to be bearings or gears? Can I swap some parts over from my single range 4WD gearbox I have for spares?
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:27 pm

sounds like the bearing for the rear shaft is stuffed

as for part swapping the only parts that will swap are the front cases
if u do a dualrange conversion (fabrication requried)

and the low range gearset is useful if u can find a dual range top and bottom gearsets to fit your centre diff pinion
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

subalex

Post by subalex » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:18 pm

Ok then, if it is the rear shaft bearing. Is that an easy enough thing to replace? Can I do that with it still in car, just take the exhaust system off or is it a complete disassemble to get to it?
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

subalex

Post by subalex » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Ends up just needing a new clutch kit. Got a nice new sports exhaust in the meantime hey :-)

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”