motor recon places

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
damosbrumby91

Post by damosbrumby91 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:38 pm

so GOD is that list everything that is needed for the conversion I'm just wondering if u needed to mod anything like cut anything to make the different that engine fit? Wana just find out most things that I would need to do if I went to chuck a ej18 in mine?

GOD

Post by GOD » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:36 am

That spreadsheet is every dollar i've spent on the car. I've thought of one more thing to add to the list in post #17 above: make an engine stay rod (you might get by without one, but the engine will clunk around when off road). That should be it for my conversion (i.e. 1996 EJ18 into 1993 carbie 5 speed L series).

If you're keen you can do more things like making the radiator out of the donor car fit, adding a fuel surge tank and changing the gearbox at the same time. Some people also make up little wedges to sit between the engine mounts and crossmember, but that didn't look necessary for my car.

From memory the EJ18 was slightly narrower (rocker cover to rocker cover) than the EA82, but slightly longer front to back. So in the L series there is heaps of room around an EJ18. Your Brumby might be a bit different - I seem to recall hearing that the chassis rails are closer together. Talk to Matatak, Cam or Subarino about that.

I'll get exact measurements of the EJ18 in the morning.

And to get even further from the original topic: if you are the Damian I think you are, we have 5 friends in common on facebook. Small world eh?

Dane.

damosbrumby91

Post by damosbrumby91 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:22 pm

hey if it's Easyer email it to me on damianclaffey@iinet.net.au

Wozzy

Post by Wozzy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:30 pm

Have you had quotes from motor reconditioners? Rather than use your old motor and do it up, just get a swap recon. they usually fit them in a day.

If you want to fit it your self and got heaps of time to play around then rebuild your engine. That will save you heaps cash wise.

GOD

Post by GOD » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:48 pm

EJ18:
420mm from the back of the adapter plate to front of the crank pulley
710mm rocker cover to rocker cover

damosbrumby91

Post by damosbrumby91 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:58 pm

ahh k cheerz heaps dane ill measure that up tommoroa see how it would fit, im in between with the conversion im not to sure what i wana do, id like the extra power and more reliable ej than the carby ea82 might have to hit ya up n have a look at your beast n get a few tips ay

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”