EJ22 convertion help

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
BRUMBI

EJ22 convertion help

Post by BRUMBI » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:36 pm

hey, started a new thread cos im sure im going to be asking a lot of questions. i will be doing a ej22 into rx turbo with minimal knowlage.

so heres my fist question im about to remove the old engine out what do people do with removal of the CVs can they be left in and just taken off at the gearbox side?

cheers kai
84 MY Sportswagon
92 Brumby
87 Rx Turbo

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:41 pm

you can leave the cv's where they are, shouldnt get in the way for the conversion. the box doesnt really move at all

BRUMBI

Post by BRUMBI » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:19 pm

im taking the box and engine out together (awd box going in) just want to know if i have to take the CVs out first or is there another way to get the engine/gearbox out.when i drop the engine or lift it up will the DOJ come of the trans?
84 MY Sportswagon
92 Brumby
87 Rx Turbo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:49 pm

G'day Kai,
If you want to leave your CV shafts in the hubs I've found on my L that to remove the shaft from the gearbox I had to jack up the front of the subi and seperate the control arm and the ball joint to allow the hub to swing relatively freely left and right.

My EJ conversion has pretty much halted at the moment :( I've just got too much going on to allow me to sit down and do the wiring...

Good luck, it'd be great to see what you think of the EJ over the Holley'd EA81.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:17 pm

if your rx use's the normal duel range L box the shafts have to go, splines on the gearbox side of the shaft are not the same (lucky there are shafts included)

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:19 pm

when youve got the box of its crossmember you cna simply push it one way and slide the Shaft of then slide the other way, cna leave the balljoints in and the strut in the hub this way.

no need to even take the wheels off really.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 pm

hey kai, i should be dropping it out later this week.
don't stress to much about it, to make it such a simple install i will be droping it all out the bottom in one piece (undoing strut tops/crossmembers) i won't need any of it.

this way i think its 6 strut bolts-4 engine crossmember bolts-6 radius/gearbox bolts, disconect tail shaft,brakes and steering knuckle and it all comes away.

i won't need suspension or hubs... so you could unbolt your whole front end then slide this one in its place.

i will do the same with the rear end, easier for me to take out and you to put in.

and the suspension is the adjustable stuff (unsure on your current gear). its only the power steering leak and gearbox mount you'll need to look into.

i will only be keeping the disk brakes.

hey el freddo if you caught on to my sale ealier you would have just need to bolt it all in, not a bad deal i don't think driveline/crossmember/suspension/shafts/wiring/lift kit $1000.00 wish i got it in a ready to go package. ;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:31 pm

shuffbag wrote:hey el freddo if you caught on to my sale ealier you would have just need to bolt it all in, not a bad deal i don't think driveline/crossmember/suspension/shafts/wiring/lift kit $1000.00 wish i got it in a ready to go package. ;)
Yeah I saw it mate, I've got the stuff I need except the gearbox - I also didn't have that amount of money at the time (unemployment off the back of uni doesn't help the savings :() and I really want to do it myself, even though it's going to take longer now with other commitments.

Cheers for the thought anyway.

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:54 am

no i was never in any rush, i enjoy having the car parked in my drivway

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:30 pm

Yes, you can leave the shafts in, you just need to remember to put them on before you lower the new gearbox too low into place. If your RX has a 'crappy' low range then it will have the right shafts in it already to just mount up to the DR EJ box your putting in.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

BRUMBI

Post by BRUMBI » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:33 pm

all very good info, to much to reply to thanks every one i know what im doing a bit more now. i was thinking of what maktak said but couldnt word it right. any ways shane what you have said you will do will be fine i hope it will all fit in the back of the brumby.

oh and elfreddo the ej22 is going in my rx and i will be selling the brumby if any one wants to make an offer.
84 MY Sportswagon
92 Brumby
87 Rx Turbo

BRUMBI

Post by BRUMBI » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:43 pm

just an update pic of how see stands at the moment...

just a quick question how hard is it to hook up the air con from ej22 to RX TURBO?
84 MY Sportswagon
92 Brumby
87 Rx Turbo

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”