Testing for LSD in AWD?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
SuBaRiNo

Testing for LSD in AWD?

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:21 pm

I know how to test for an LSD in the older non-AWD subies but does the same apply for AWDs (specifically 01 forester GT)?

It has no sticker on the Diff at all... so if i jack up the back of the car and turn one of the rear wheels and the other turns the same way it's an LSD? If it turns in the opposite direction its an open Diff? Is this right?

I wasn't sure if the AWD gear box interfeared with testing this like this.

I made an assumption that all Forester GTs came out with LSDs but i could be wrong so i want to test it.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:38 pm

I think u are right with your thinking on which way the wheels should spin. But ultimately you could take a few minutes and whip the plate off and take a look. Would cost you some gasket goo...

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:19 pm

Prefer to not have to take it appart at all and prefer it to cost me absolutely nothing just for peace of mind. It would be silly to re-use the old oil i remove to take the cover off so that would cost me money especially if i need LSD special oil.

Can someone confirm my method of testing is the same on an AWD vehicle without having to remove anything?

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

If it is a forester LSD, chances are its the viscous type, which means that its practically an open diff untill you spin one wheel enough to heat up the fluid inside and tighten the coupling.

Im not sure how you would test it, other than take it for a spin in a wet, grassy paddock and watch both back wheels
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:51 pm

all sf5 forry gt's have lsd's
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:29 pm

All this time I've been thru the wreckers I've been looking for LSD as well, once I found an LSD diff but it was clutch pack one both rear wheels turned the same time, not opposite like what open diff would do.. but when i fitted VLSD in my previous liberty, the LSD was worn out but you could turn it around both at the same time..... I might be wrong tho but it was 2-3 yrs ago. I'm still trying to hunt down clutch pack LSD.

yes if it was being driven you would be able to know on wet grass after a couple of donuts.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:49 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:I'm still trying to hunt down clutch pack LSD.
You and every other subaru nut getting around the yards over here! That explains why you're frequenting the yards more than anyone...

Subarino, the method you spoke of is the only one I know of - the viscous type messes me up so I really don't know here. One way would be hang some circle work then jack up the rear before it gets to cool down :???: Thoughts anyway...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:02 pm

El_Freddo wrote:You and every other subaru nut getting around the yards over here! That explains why you're frequenting the yards more than anyone...
Thats damn correct.... wish wreckers apart from Jollys have online pages so you can view them instead of going to the yard.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:15 am

Yer I just figured it would be the easiest way to find out for certain. 5 minute job with you being the seasoned Subaru mechanic you are, and you probably have gasket goo already anyway. Rather than lots of posts of people saying yes this model does, maybe this other model does, perhaps it's lsd, not really sure, chances are this, chances are that, etc etc.
Obviously the best time to do it would be when it's due to have the oil changed, I didn't think of that, but I guess you might still have it under some kind of service warranty :)

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:07 pm

You have a good point Andrew. Might simply ask Subaru to check it when it goes in for it's next service. Was just hoping it was more common knowledge amoungst AWD subaru owners but it seams no one really knows for sure.

Dave

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:24 pm

My RX has a viscus LSD from a WRX, if you jack just one wheel of the ground and try and turn it it is reasonably hard to do so, not as much as a clutch pack though.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Is your RX AWD? And if so on a non-LSD diff with AWD, might it also feel like that?

Dave

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:47 pm

if you jack all 4 up and in nuetral spin a rear.

If its an Open diff i belive it will simply spin the opposite wheel the other way quite easily
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:18 am

SuBaRiNo wrote:Is your RX AWD? And if so on a non-LSD diff with AWD, might it also feel like that?

Dave
All RX liberty are AWD, they dont normally come with LSD.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

daza

Post by daza » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:31 am

If your Forrie has LSD it's viscous and a vlsd will act like an open diff at hand turned speeds.
It's donuts or open it.
Daza.
:D

p.s The vlsd doesn't use lsd oil, it's sealed so just diff oil.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:20 am

RX Turbo - It's got a Forrester AWD box and viscus rear LSD. The centre diff is so stiff I can hardly even turn it with a breaker bar. The rear diff is stiff even when cold, if it was an open diff there would be something seriously jammed up. I did have another VLSD here that acted like an open diff, but I suspected it was broken/worn so I didn't use it.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:11 am

i can jack up my liberty and see what happens. As i know for sure it has an open diff.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:37 am

AlpineRaven wrote:All RX liberty are AWD, they dont normally come with LSD.
Cheers
AP
seriously mate. think before post

my open diff one wheel went backwards when you turned the other forwards. All open diffs should do this.

with my VLSD they spin the same way... but thinking about that I am not sure if the tailshaft was turning or not whne I did that
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:23 pm

brennyv wrote:all sf5 forry gt's have lsd's
all gt forrys!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:26 pm

vincentvega wrote: with my VLSD they spin the same way... but thinking about that I am not sure if the tailshaft was turning or not whne I did that

You've got some problems if it wasnt turning.

All LSD's are pretty shit in an offroader. raise one wheel and literally most of your drive is going to go that way, and we all know subarus raise wheels far easier than alot of other cars.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”