hughybabes comes back for help !!

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
hughybabes

hughybabes comes back for help !!

Post by hughybabes » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:20 pm

I dont know whether the long threads are still on here when I got lots of help from the forum, with an EA 81 twin port motor rebuild. The motor is going incredibly well but the '84 wagon is showing its age, with terminal rust refusing to stay away after painstaking treatments.

I have bought a '92 Leone Wagon in very good condition for a very good price and plan to drop the twinport motor into it.

The Leone came cheap because it wasnt running and Rego had run out. After some poking about, I have found it was a timing belt that caused it to die. It will need new rear shockers and maybe fronts as well. Tyres will come off the EA 81. I will have to get it re registered with the EA 82 motor in it because of the anti pollution requirements for a '92 model car.

Obviously, I dont want to spend much on getting the motor running for the re registration. I have got a replacement timing belt for $5, but while the timing cases are off, it would make sense to find out where oil has been leaking from. There is oil on the drip trays, round the rocker covers, over the sump and cross member. Hard to see where it has come from. Are there favourite spots that this model leaks from?
1984 sportswagon
ea81 twin carburettor motor.
"d-shaped" siamese exhaust port heads.
mild low torque cam. electronic dizzy.
2.5 inch engine pipes; 2.25 tail pipe; rear sports muffler.

tony

Post by tony » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 pm

either the oil pump seal or the crank seal. you have to do the same work to check either of them so pays to do both to be sure. not hard but bit tedious.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 pm

The 13" rims on MY and L series are different slighty, ie they may not fit on the front of the L. if the engine is only going to be in there for rego i would just clean it up and leave it at that, it probably isn't worth your time / money to play with it...... Although VRS kits are only worth like $100 (Valve Regrind Set, Almost all gaskets except sump, which is around 20)
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:31 pm

nice to see you back in here teach. any work you do, account for all washers, nuts and keep that special mate of yours away. I remember an incident that caused you some grief :)

Jonno

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:10 am

We forget nothing here.
Hi Hughy.
Matt
1989 Subaru WonderBrumby II
EJ22 Dual range AWD lifted, widened and much happier now thanks very much.

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

Jet boat..webbered EA81 with a hybrid tin dish welded and glued to it.

hughybabes

Post by hughybabes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 am

thanks guys for the info. Yeh Matt, I tend to agree with you about just cleaning it up but then I don't want to see oil coming too freely from some spot that could have been remedied while partially stripped down. The rims on the L stay on the L ; thanks for the info though. Who would have thought they would be different ?

Have heard that front cam seals tend to leak a bit. Anyone got experience of replacing them?.

Hey there Steptoe! That same guy has offered help on this project. He will be on a rope to one of the carport posts so he can look but not touch !!!
1984 sportswagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:05 pm

the camshaft seals sit in bolt removable housing behind the cam sprocket. There is also an O ring seal , blue in colour from Subaru that fits between housing and cam box. Buy genuine. Easy, just painstaking as everythng else is working on these - yet you gain a respect for the engineers.

You are still friends !! Maybe give him the job of theatre assistant "SCALPEL" , "scalpel"

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 pm

steptoe wrote:Easy, just painstaking as everythng else is working on these - yet you gain a respect for the engineers.
Sorry Steptoe - but what respect?! I know the painstaking bit but respect for the 'engineering' of the EA82 is a joke!!! I could go on about the dodgy cam box design, disco could probabily drop in with a few as well...

Hughy, didn't know you were in vic mate! Anyway, I'd probabily have a go at the RWC with the dual carbs - especially if you know the guy/girl isn't fussy!

If you're really keen on the EA82: The oil pump can leak and make it look like a sump gasket/rear main seal. The cam boxes can leak between them and the head. The O ring in the head gasket can leak oil too, had this happen several times :( Also consider doing the water pump and hose while you're in that area.

Or best yet, ditch the EA's and upgrade to an EJ :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

hughybabes

Post by hughybabes » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:38 am

Who is this Brumberty character ?? I remember a guy who typed like you but his name was Tasbrat! How is the wonderdog , Matt.
G'day El freddo. If I transplant the twinport motor before re reg it wont pass due to lack of anti pollution crapolla. It may seem like a backward step to some; putting an EA 81 motor into a '92 model , but this motor flies !!
Thanks, Steptoe. I will have a go at those cam seals before I put the belt on. I was hoping thats what they were like to do.
1984 sportswagon

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:46 pm

hughybabes wrote:Who is this Brumberty character ?? I remember a guy who typed like you but his name was Tasbrat! How is the wonderdog , Matt.
G'day El freddo. If I transplant the twinport motor before re reg it wont pass due to lack of anti pollution crapolla. It may seem like a backward step to some; putting an EA 81 motor into a '92 model , but this motor flies !!
Thanks, Steptoe. I will have a go at those cam seals before I put the belt on. I was hoping thats what they were like to do.
You got it right about Brumberty - he is a character! Not that I've met him... One day ;)

I do understand your thinking with the EA81. I wish I had thought about it earlier too, ah well, I guess I'll just have to focus on the EJ22 for now :twisted:

What you can do is drop the EA81 into the L then swap the intake manifold for the L series one with all the anti-power, sorry, anti-pollution gear that you need. I really think if you find the right RWC dude he won't care, I've got a mate with one like that...

As for the intake manifolds, they should be a direct swap and hopefully there shouldn't be any re-tuning of the carbie to run the EA81. Once you've passed the RWC and got it rego'd (the guys at vic roads are only after numbers, not the details of what is missing off the engine) then swap the intake manifold back to the twins. The bonus of this is that you'll have the engine number on the rego and won't have to go in to get a new rego sticker and your vehicles details updated after swapping engines over if you stick with the EA82.

Food for thought anyway. I'd get rid of my EA82 if I didn't need it right now...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

hughybabes

Post by hughybabes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 pm

"""As for the intake manifolds, they should be a direct swap and hopefully there shouldn't be any re-tuning of the carbie to run the EA81. Once you've passed the RWC and got it rego'd (the guys at vic roads are only after numbers, not the details of what is missing off the engine) then swap the intake manifold back to the twins. The bonus of this is that you'll have the engine number on the rego and won't have to go in to get a new rego sticker and your vehicles details updated after swapping engines over if you stick with the EA82."""... El Freddo

mmmmm.,,, El Freddo;...... I like your line of thinking but have a feeling the manifold sizes are different between the 'EA 81 and '82. Can someone short circuit my frustration and tell me that inlet manifolds are a direct swap from ea81 to ea82 ..... or not.
1984 sportswagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:35 pm

I keep hearing that the EA81 and EA82 intakes are interchangeable on the carby versions, someone has said there is a bit (as in minor) of manifold or block to remove to facilitate fitting the EA81 twin carb manifold to EA82 carby heads. The exhaust headers are also supposedly interchangeable between normal carby heads too

Oh, and Bennie, the respect comes from working on cars that have components that are almost inaccessable. Try the Triumph 2000 & 2500 with their 18 yes EIGHTEEN bellhousing to engine bolts !! Or the newer stuff Ford Focus Zetec 2.0 timing belt - no marks, and supposed to be replaced at 60 or 65k.

hughybabes

Post by hughybabes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:24 pm

why cant i reply ??? TESTING
1984 sportswagon

hughybabes

Post by hughybabes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Been typing for ages and then says Im not logged in ???
1984 sportswagon

hughybabes

Post by hughybabes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:26 pm

mmmmm. Maybe getting somewhere.
I'll retype it again for the third time after this. !!
1984 sportswagon

hughybabes

Project changes focus !!

Post by hughybabes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Here we go !! Cleaned all the oil from around motor, replaced timing belt with a "good one" from wrecker. Turned over ok. Completely re assembled and it runs like a dream !! Quiet as ! after initial tappet noise. Its been running for a while, drives very well and no sign of major oil leaks. Just accumulation over time.
Current thinking is to keep EA82 and do the simple cheap tricks to give one the simple cheap pleasures !!
Means I have the EA81 twin port motor to move on.
Best way to do this ?? I am after suggestions.
It was reco'd 25k kms ago. It is running beautifully. (It has a dual range gearbox that was fully reco'd at the same time)
It needs someone with a special project....for this special motor.
Hey Brumberty...... You were going to originally power the Jetboat with one of these motors. You know what they can do! This is another project for you. Twin Jet boats.....One subi motor challenges the other. You could bring it into your real estate advertising somehow !!
Hey Steptoe !!!. This is the motor for you ! Think of a project. You will love the engineering ! You love that sort of stuff. A motor that the Subi engineers designed for a plane but it also turns wheels on the road !!
Any ideas as to where to go next with this ? I'm high on elation and a coupla wines !!
1984 sportswagon

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:57 pm

I be interested in the Carbies, as i already have all the rest. I could possible swap for a Weber to keep the engine running.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:39 pm

just pulled this for Silverbullet. Am i getting old or was Hughybabes saga on his EA81 real dual port rebuild before everything collapsed in here in , was it 2005?

hughybabes

Yes It Was

Post by hughybabes » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:40 am

A big Hi to all you all old farts who were around in the early 2000's.
I have been traveling extremely well in the1992 wagon for all these years. Not my daily driver but weekend bush getaway vehicle.
I retired recently and have just ordered myself a 2015 Outback 3.6R. The sales person wanted to know a bit about my ealy exploits with subies, so thats why I am snooping around.
Does anyone remember who bought my suby with the twin port motor and the unique rear timber bumper? He flew down from Queensland and drove it back. I just want to know whether he made it or not !!
1984 sportswagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:45 am

Hiya Teach ! I don't think the buyer ever came in here to declare their snare. Ten years ago ?? OMG !! Your EA81S came from Brumberty Matt in north east tassie from memory . There is a Matt up in QLD, think he has an EA81S in one of his, but not a red or orange beast - yours was red or orange wasn't it ?

Nice choice of retirement present. Another member is sitting on an order for same. What colour have you selected ? Been told 12 week wait have you ?

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”