EJ headbolt re-torque question.

Everything Engine, Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts for the EJ series models - NA & Boosted
Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:31 pm

The general rule is: If the bolts are tensioned, then turned X degrees, they are torque to yeild and should be replaced.

A few manufacturers give specs to measure the bolt for stretch, but this isn't fail proof either.

Twice I've had new bolts fail during torquing, and once many years ago reusing a set.

Is a wasted week end really worth the price of skimping on a few notes for a set of bolts? Not in my world. If there's aftermarket bolts available, I'm using them.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Nah re-use the old ones if not over heated. Do it after work on a Monday/Tuesday so it doesn't ruin your weekend!

The HGs and bolts that started this thread did me very well without being retorqued. I had run the engine at 120*C in soft sand at Robe, a few years later froze the blockat Hotham after not reading the new coolant bottle's label close enough. Two years later they gave up after having the AC re-gassed.

I reused those bolts with new HGs and all is well. I'd only do it on a set of bolts that I know have not been over heated. My work is my warranty - if it pops it's on me anyway so I'm happy to take the risk.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “EJ Drivetrain”