Recommend oil please EA81 Brumby

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
phantomD

Recommend oil please EA81 Brumby

Post by phantomD » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:50 am

Hi all,

I own an '89 EA81 Subaru Brumby with extremely low kms, approaching 18500 now (11800 when I got it this year). It's not for sale!

My mechanic is using Pennzoil engine oil (not sure what viscosity), which I am led to believe is causing my engine to ping. My service documents show that the dealer used Castrol GTX II for all services.

What brand/type of quality engine oil would you recommend to reduce EA81 engine ping? I am tempted to specify the GTX II.

Thanks in advance.

the gumbi brumby

Post by the gumbi brumby » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:14 am

i use penrite HPR15
E10 BLEND KILLS CARBY CARS AND RUSTS STEEL TANKS

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:16 am

18,500 kms on a 20year old Brumby. You gotta tell us this baby's history !!

I've not seen an oil grade or brand cause pinging. Perhaps you have confused it with fuel grade. A 20 year old with so few kms you'd think maybe if it went a few metres down the road once a week for groceries over 20 years it may have carbon build up causing pre ignition but your 6000km may have sorted that out. Fuel and fuel grade needs to be checked, so too the ignition timing.

In 30 year old design engine I use John laws preferred brand in a 20W50

steve_rising_sun

Post by steve_rising_sun » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:41 pm

Even the so called unleaded Brumby's ping away on unleaded, just run Premium or kill pistons. Oils will have very little affect. Only really thin oils will reduce load, yours is too old to run these
Steve

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:22 pm

I use penrite 20-50W because of the high kays but id be getting a second opinion on the pinging, usually timing or fuel is the cause of that. Ive never heard of oil being the cause but im open to suggestions.

phantomD

Post by phantomD » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks very much. I have always used premium fuel especially to stay away from the ethanol blends you get with regular petrol, also for the higher octane. I put BP Ultimate in my car once but I seemed to lose a lot of power out of the engine so went back to the usual 95ULP.

It would seem I am misinformed about the oil, I don't know as much about the specifics of the mechanical side as I'd like to.

As for the vehicle's history, it was a property work vehicle for many years before it sat undriven and ended up in my hands. I love my car but I would dearly like to get it running a bit better.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:00 am

an old fashioned cylinder decoke method was get some brake fluid and slowly dribble it down carby throat with fast idle or more revs until you think you've cleaned things up. Also produces a lot of toxic white smoke out the tailpipe so don't try it in confined space or near anyone who may cop the after effects

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”