Binding diffs on L Series fix found

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
steptoe
Master Member

Binding diffs on L Series fix found

Post by steptoe » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:52 pm

My L had some slight diff bind when shifting out of 4WD back into FWD even on loose dirt. Tyres were all same size numerically 175/70-14 Michies on front and Toyos on the back but they musta had differing rolling diameters coz my simple fix was four tyres of same size same brand. It now snicks beautifully in and out of 4WD even just on wet tar whereas before needed some reasonable effort on the lever to do so even on wet grass and loose dirt.

Happy

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:32 pm

My 4eat started torque binding so bad that I had to give it a heavy pedal in tight low speed turns in parking lots and such. I found a receipt where a tire outfit had installed 1 new tire for the prior owner. Now tire outfits will only install a full set of new tires on awd vehicles. I think even a 3 to 4 mill difference in diameter is pushing it. I check tire pressure regularly also. I guess your situation makes sense also even with p/t 4wd. Glad tires fixed it for you, I tried a new set of cheap tires and friction modifiers ( a subaru dealers recommendation ) in hopes it would come back....it didnt.
Cheers

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:47 pm

yes... it's a must on Subaru PT 4WD or AWD to use all same brand and size tyres on them. I'm almost sure it's written in the owners manual. It is also a VERY good practice to rotate your whells on regular intervals as uneven worn tyres can create issues.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

little_red_L

Post by little_red_L » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:33 pm

also, i've read somwhere in these forums in the past, and found it to be reliable info myself... that if you reverse 5-10 meters when you get bind, it simply slips back into 2wd.
Red 1990 L series sportswagon: sports muffler, 4" lift, pod filter, powersteer conversion, pug 14's and a coupla stickers. with 27"s on their way. Everything else? Standard. For now....

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:00 pm

I thought that would've been your idea from the start! I've primarily had the same brand of tyres all round, but at different levels of tread front to rear. Currently the rears are about the same but the fronts is one well worn and one relatively new :( The front is only like this due to the scrubbing of the front tyres after less than 4000km on the inside edge. The tyre joint put the front scrubbed tyres on the rear and the rear onto the front - one still roadworthy, the other a new spare (a week or two on the rear).

I've not really got a problem with binding as such - I find dropping the clutch with the EJ does the job on a loose surface, otherwise its generally easy to slip out with the foot on the clutch...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:28 am

whenever i try to get out of 4wd is get onto dirt doing some speed and lock all brakes the wheels stop but diff contiutes for one gazillionth of a turn thus reversing the effect of the torque lock but as for a permament fix i cant think of any sorry

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:52 pm

All these weird and wonderful techniques lol :)
Just drive onto some loose dirt and shift out of 4x4 with the clutch in. Works every time and it's what the manual says to do.
How people get in this situation is beyond me anyway as you should usually already be on loose dirt when you are in 4x4....after all you would be offroading right?

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:53 pm

All these weird and wonderful techniques lol :)
Just drive onto some loose dirt and shift out of 4x4 with the clutch in. Works every time and it's what the manual says to do.
How people get in this situation with their drivelines binding up on tarmac is beyond me anyway as you should usually already be on loose dirt when you are in 4x4....after all you would be offroading right?

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:15 pm

AndrewT wrote: How people get in this situation with their drivelines binding up on tarmac is beyond me anyway as you should usually already be on loose dirt when you are in 4x4....after all you would be offroading right?
sorry andrew well im on loose dirt coming down my drivway all 1km of it down a rough goat track at roughly a 1:3 angle so yeah it needs 4wd lol. its just i somtimes forget to revert to 2wd before hiting the tarmac at the bottom

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”