awd drive vs 4x4 gearbox for l series

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
masterguitarshreader

awd drive vs 4x4 gearbox for l series

Post by masterguitarshreader » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:14 am

Iam looking at doing an ej conversion at some point for my l series the gearbox that i have is fairly worn so the question is get another ea gearbox or convert to all wheel drive there is pros and cons for both i like the l series gearbox is offroad and it low range is awsome if they made an air locker for this i would defiantly stick with the ea box, So how good is the all wheel drive this system of road and what sort of $$$ whould i be looking at for this conversion any info would be awsome , thanks
no more 91 l series, no more liberty sedan , 92 l series this time i will do all the mods i wated to do with my last l series, lift , wheels ,kings, roof basket, snrokel

someguy

Post by someguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 am

In my opinion the EA 4WD gearbox is alot stronger, and tougher then the EJ Gearbox.

The only downfall with keeping the EA box is that you will need an adapter plate to bolt the box to the engine
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 am

ea l series internals into a ej box and keep the awd part of the ej box people have done it

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

daza

Post by daza » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:54 pm

The Awd box is better on road, the 4wd box is better in extreme 4wding.
How much time do you spend on each?
I reckon i could count on one hand the number of times the center diff has let me down.
Daza.
:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:31 pm

someguy wrote:In my opinion the EA 4WD gearbox is alot stronger, and tougher then the EJ Gearbox.
what drugs are you on? :)

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

someguy

Post by someguy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Keffa wrote:what drugs are you on? :)

alex
a few :P

But its just personal experience.

Had a few AWD boxes crack under pressure when going offroad but I am yet to kill an EA box and I have been pretty rough on it
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:23 pm

masterguitarshreader wrote:Iam looking at doing an ej conversion at some point for my l series the gearbox that i have is fairly worn so the question is get another ea gearbox or convert to all wheel drive there is pros and cons for both i like the l series gearbox is offroad and it low range is awsome if they made an air locker for this i would defiantly stick with the ea box, So how good is the all wheel drive this system of road and what sort of $$$ whould i be looking at for this conversion any info would be awsome , thanks
TOONGA wrote:ea l series internals into a ej box and keep the awd part of the ej box people have done it

TOONGA

You can use EA Internals in EJ box with EA rear casing to keep part time 4WD that way you dont need an adapter plate..

You cannot use EA internals in EJ box with EJ transfer case - it wont work/fit.

The only difference between EA & EJ box is that EJ AWD has centre diff which EA doesnt have.
EA box is better for 4WD off road useage, with AWD is better on the road and basic off road but no good for extreme off road, Ive considered about welding my centre diff but never had the time.

You could use EA's low range in EJ box like what I did.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:27 pm

i agree with above. Ive broken many EA boxes, but to be fair ive never had en EJ box, highly doubt the EA is stronger than the EJ tho.

If youre worried about strength im sure using the EA transfer gears should be okay, as they dont seem to break very often, ive broken one EA transfer gear before and that was with turbo getting air over a sand dune and hitting full boost in the air and when the wheel touched the ground the transfer is what decided to break. She was running 17psi at that time tho.

EJ box with EA low range gears fo sho!

sorry if im dribbling junk, im bored at work ahaha
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:19 pm

I have had both ea turbo and ej22 awd boxes i have the pleasure of breaking both more than once.
It depends how much offroading you do i would prefer the awd just better to drive, I do take it to extremes and it's center diff only let me down once and i don't have an Lsd
The ea is a good box if you won't to have the wheels spinning up a hill the whole time lost of fun tho, But Fwd when in 2wd is not that good on wet roads doing a hill start with an ej motor

If your just a casual offroader Awd is the go if you like hard offroading go Ea

Jan
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:42 pm

TOONGA wrote:ea l series internals into a ej box and keep the awd part of the ej box people have done it
Like me. All the work is done in the shed while your L gets around with your standard L setup so long as you have a second L box to pull down and the EJ gearbox to swap casings with.

Big pro in my book: No need to mod any gearbox crossmembers/gearshift linkages/tail shafts etc, it'll bolt straight in. No adaptor plate needed. EJ box comes with stabiliser rod bracket on the gearbox. Retains stronger EJ clutch etc.

Con: Break that box and you'll have to build another one.
AlpineRaven wrote:You cannot use EA internals in EJ box with EJ transfer case - it wont work/fit.

The only difference between EA & EJ box is that EJ AWD has centre diff which EA doesnt have.
Actually AP, the difference is that the lower gearset on the AWD box is independant to the pinion shaft, which is what it it uses to spin on. The EA box the pinion shaft is solid with the lower gearset moulded to it. If it was independand you could swap it to the AWD box one and have an AWD (semi open centre diff), L gear sets in L case with L low range... and 3.9/4.11/4.44 diff ratios. Or you can just drop the EJ internals into an EA casing.
Keffa wrote:i agree with above. Ive broken many EA boxes, but to be fair ive never had en EJ box, highly doubt the EA is stronger than the EJ tho.

If youre worried about strength im sure using the EA transfer gears should be okay, as they dont seem to break very often, ive broken one EA transfer gear before and that was with turbo getting air over a sand dune and hitting full boost in the air and when the wheel touched the ground the transfer is what decided to break. She was running 17psi at that time tho.

EJ box with EA low range gears fo sho!

sorry if im dribbling junk, im bored at work ahaha
Crazy! Anyway, I don't think the build quality of a standard NA EA box to an NA EJ box is any different. Internally they are the same with exception to gear ratios and the centre diff/4wd engaging mechanism rear casing. A turbo box would be stronger from factory IMO.

L series low with EJ is the bomb!

I wish wanky was still getting around - I know its captive nut problems and I aim to aviod this/not drive like alex :twisted: :p

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”