Interested in what's available down under

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
suparu

Interested in what's available down under

Post by suparu » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:03 am

I'm very interested in the dual range 5 speeds available down under (and I I suppose Latin America and Europe, but it may be easiest to get from down under??).

I have some questions on what was made for and is available in Australia.

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong (this is regarding 5 speed manuals):

-EA81 ("MY" series?) transmissions are 3.70 final drive with a 1.44:1 low range and are PT4WD (loyale in USA)

-EA82 ("L" series?) transmissions are 3.70 OR 3.90 final drive with a 1.59:1 low range and are PT4WD (loyale in USA)

-EA82 turbo transmissions are 3.90 final drive with a 1.19:1 low range and are PT4WD (loyale in USA)

-RX trannies are 3.70 final with a 1.59:1 low and are FT 4WD with(?) locking center diff

-XT6 (in USA) are 3.90 final with a 1.59:1 low and are FT 4WD with locking center diff

-EJ18?? I've seen a couple in older USA imprezas but don't know much about them. Maybe 4.11 5 speed?? (not sure)

-EJ22 (liberty down under?), or first gen liberty (legacy in USA) are 3.90 final with a 1.19:1 low range and are FTAWD (USA had some 4.11 final 5 speed single range FT AWD, mine's a 95, thus second gen legacy, and is 3.90 final SR FT AWD)

-EJ25 forester are 4.11 final with a 1.44:1 low range gear and are FT AWD

-EJ25 outback (australia) I think were 3.90 final with 1.19:1 low gear

-EJ25 impreza (down under) are 3.90 final with a 1.59:1 low range gear and are FT AWD

and beyond that I don't have any ideas, like newer/second gen legacy/liberty or second gen forester (?2003-2005?)

And I'm sure turbos mix it up more...

I'm interested in a discussion verifying what's really around down under. This will really help me narrow my search and what it is I'm really looking for

Since I'm kind of old-school and LOVE a manual transmissio, What would be ideal for my interest and application (and I understand it can be made by marrying up to 3 different transmissions) would be a FT AWD, locking center diff with 4.11 final and a 1.59:1 low.
(I would love LOW gear so as to be easier on my clutch when off-road or crawling and towing or pulling rafts out of boat lauches)

BUT, What would be quite practical and probably more plug-and-play (if it comes this way) would be a 4.11 final with 1.44:1 low (again, 1.59 would be better and could be created but again with more customizing) to bolt up to my EJ22 legacy.

Or second most practical would be a 3.90 final (straight bolt up and no rear diff swap on my current rig) with 1.59:1 low (I think this is came in an australian impreza?)

I'd prefer a 4.11 final to compensate for my taller tires and would prefer a 1.59:1 low, for obvious reasons, BUT a 1.44:1 low would be fine!

OR, I could live with a 3.90 final (since that's what I've been driving for 6 years on tall tires) with 1.59:1 low.

SO, let the discussion begin
I'd especially like to hear from you folks in Australia and New Zealand.

Thanks,
-mark-

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:22 pm

My Outback - 2002 EJ251 manual had a 4.11 ratio but no idea what the low is.

I swapped it over the Easter weekend for a turbo Forester box with 4.44 ratio and LSD in the rear.
The Outback box and diff is sitting at a mate's house in his garage...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:59 pm

suparu wrote:I'm very interested in the dual range 5 speeds available down under (and I I suppose Latin America and Europe, but it may be easiest to get from down under??).

I have some questions on what was made for and is available in Australia.

As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong (this is regarding 5 speed manuals):

-EA81 ("MY" series?) transmissions are 3.70 final drive with a 1.44:1 low range and are PT4WD (loyale in USA)

-EA82 ("L" series?) transmissions are 3.70 OR 3.90 final drive with a 1.59:1 low range and are PT4WD (loyale in USA)

-EA82 turbo transmissions are 3.90 final drive with a 1.19:1 low range and are PT4WD (loyale in USA)

-RX trannies are 3.70 final with a 1.59:1 low and are FT 4WD with(?) locking center diff

-XT6 (in USA) are 3.90 final with a 1.59:1 low and are FT 4WD with locking center diff

-EJ18?? I've seen a couple in older USA imprezas but don't know much about them. Maybe 4.11 5 speed?? (not sure)

-EJ22 (liberty down under?), or first gen liberty (legacy in USA) are 3.90 final with a 1.19:1 low range and are FTAWD (USA had some 4.11 final 5 speed single range FT AWD, mine's a 95, thus second gen legacy, and is 3.90 final SR FT AWD)

-EJ25 forester are 4.11 final with a 1.44:1 low range gear and are FT AWD

-EJ25 outback (australia) I think were 3.90 final with 1.19:1 low gear

-EJ25 impreza (down under) are 3.90 final with a 1.59:1 low range gear and are FT AWD

and beyond that I don't have any ideas, like newer/second gen legacy/liberty or second gen forester (?2003-2005?)

And I'm sure turbos mix it up more...

I'm interested in a discussion verifying what's really around down under. This will really help me narrow my search and what it is I'm really looking for

Since I'm kind of old-school and LOVE a manual transmissio, What would be ideal for my interest and application (and I understand it can be made by marrying up to 3 different transmissions) would be a FT AWD, locking center diff with 4.11 final and a 1.59:1 low.
(I would love LOW gear so as to be easier on my clutch when off-road or crawling and towing or pulling rafts out of boat lauches)

BUT, What would be quite practical and probably more plug-and-play (if it comes this way) would be a 4.11 final with 1.44:1 low (again, 1.59 would be better and could be created but again with more customizing) to bolt up to my EJ22 legacy.
G'day Mark,

I've just learnt from this thread by dibs that some Ej20 foresters have a 1.44:1 low range, I thought all Dual range EJ boxes were 1.19:1 which is only useful to have so that you can swap out to the L series low range.

The MY 4 speed gearbox forget about it. Old technology that doesn't fit and is not worth the effort anyway.

The L series PT 4wd box is good for 4wd'n but is limited to its front wheel drive "black top" driving and the associated handling that comes with front wheel drive; it is also limited to the 3.7 or 3.9 diff ratios unless you do a cut and shut on the pinion shaft to the desired diff ratio. Low range is the best standard that you can get! Locked centre when 4wd is engaged = a plus.

The L series (RX coupe II) FT 4wd gearbox with lockable centre diff is the better of the two - once you drop the 1.59:1 low range in. I believe it would have better black top handling than the Front wheel drive box above. Same limitations in diff ratios as above too. Cut and shut will be the only way to solve this. Best box for on road/off road if you're willing to go the whole hog with a decent diff ratio IMO. It is slightly shorter than an EJ series box, meaning a lengthened tail shaft would be needed.

L series gearboxes can be built into an EJ dual range casing (front split casings only used) without any issues if its a Gen I box, Gen II onwards theres a few tricks to it I believe. I've done a swap with a Gen I box, very easy to do. The advantages of this is it will bolt directly onto your EJ engine and you retain the stock EJ clutch/flywheel/starter etc. You will need a custom gearbox crossmember with this gearbox regardless of what casing it is in. The rear casing houses the centre diff (AWD version)/rear drive engaging mechanism (PT 4wd version) and has to stay with the gearbox internals it came with. Hope this makes sense.

As far as my EJ gearbox knowledge goes:

Gen I Liberty Dual Range AWD gearbox: 1.19:1 Low, 3.9 diff.

Gen II Liberty Dual Range AWD gearbox: 1.19:1 Low, 3.7 diff.

Impreza dual range AWD gearbox: 1.44:1 Low, diff ratio unknown (hadn't thought about that until now...)

Early Turbo gearboxes I know to be 4.111 diff ratio, single range.

Some foz's have 4.11 ratio diffs, but I don't know which models to look at there etc.

As for building an EJ gearbox its like lego. You can put the 1.59:1 L series low range into an EJ dual range box with 4.11 diff ratio as well, but the crown wheel of the diff will need some meat shaved off to allow the physically larger L low gearset to fit in and work as it should. There are members here (PeeJay I think) who have done this with success.

Hope that's a start/help. From what I understand of the states, your biggest hurdle will be finding an EJ dual range casing. Best of luck!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:36 pm

I might add that the L Series RX sedan Oz market did not come with FT4WD or 5MAWD, though some may have at the end of the run, like the 4 speed auto AWD in LTurbos GLTA . I think the AWD L series boxes came out of the AWD Vortex turbos that sold for nearly twice the price of a VL Turbo in basic trim (so we did not get many) Discopotato03 has a box in his project

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Correct above...
the dual ranges behind EJ engines were either - 1.19, 1.447 and 1.59 low range.

I dont think I've seen an XT/XT6 with dual range in Australia's market.

Early Foz had 1.447:1 behind EJ20, but EJ25 has 1.19 - same with Outback & Liberty..

the 1996-1998 (maybe 1999/2000) Impreza had 3.9 with 1.447 low range behind EJ18/EJ20.

Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 pm

AlpineRaven wrote:Correct above...
the dual ranges behind EJ engines were either - 1.19, 1.447 and 1.59 low range.

I dont think I've seen an XT/XT6 with dual range in Australia's market.
Which EJ model came out with 1.59:1 as the standard low range? I know yours has it but I also happen to know that you put it there :p I thought EJ came with either 1.19:1 or 1.44:1.

XT/XT6 were single range AWD with lockable centre diff. Dunno why they'd need the locked centre... Disco had a single range AWD XT box built into a dual range for his L turbo, Ellie.

Cheers

Bennie

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:49 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Which EJ model came out with 1.59:1 as the standard low range? I know yours has it but I also happen to know that you put it there :p I thought EJ came with either 1.19:1 or 1.44:1.

XT/XT6 were single range AWD with lockable centre diff. Dunno why they'd need the locked centre... Disco had a single range AWD XT box built into a dual range for his L turbo, Ellie.

Cheers

Bennie
nah, yeah EJ18/EJ20 Impreza 1992-1996 models. They had 1.592:1 low range. You gotta be lucky to find one!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

suparu

Post by suparu » Tue May 11, 2010 3:16 am

bobbyjimmy wrote:My Outback - 2002 EJ251 manual had a 4.11 ratio but no idea what the low is.

I swapped it over the Easter weekend for a turbo Forester box with 4.44 ratio and LSD in the rear.
The Outback box and diff is sitting at a mate's house in his garage...
dual range? is this a turbo OB? is it still or going to be sotting around for a while??:rolleyes::-D

suparu

Post by suparu » Tue May 11, 2010 3:23 am

good info in here bennie, thanks!! i got your post in offroadsubaru forum too, thanks again..

so how about turbo-ed rigs down under, fozzies and outbacks??

sounds like i could make a 4.11 dual range with 1.59:1 but would need 3 trannies... D?R ej box, a 4.11 box (OB here) and an EA82 for the low range...

maybe the illustrious impreza would be good, but still 3.90 huh?

And yes, D/R EJ didn't make it to the states.. I'm aware of ONE :???:

If i could get a 4.11 dual range then up the low to a 1.59:1, that'd be ideal.. I could source the EA low here, just need the D/R 4.11 from there... :cool:

ideas??

maybe bobbiejimmie's old OB 4.11?? ;)

El_Freddo wrote:G'day Mark,

I've just learnt from this thread by dibs that some Ej20 foresters have a 1.44:1 low range, I thought all Dual range EJ boxes were 1.19:1 which is only useful to have so that you can swap out to the L series low range.

The MY 4 speed gearbox forget about it. Old technology that doesn't fit and is not worth the effort anyway.

The L series PT 4wd box is good for 4wd'n but is limited to its front wheel drive "black top" driving and the associated handling that comes with front wheel drive; it is also limited to the 3.7 or 3.9 diff ratios unless you do a cut and shut on the pinion shaft to the desired diff ratio. Low range is the best standard that you can get! Locked centre when 4wd is engaged = a plus.

The L series (RX coupe II) FT 4wd gearbox with lockable centre diff is the better of the two - once you drop the 1.59:1 low range in. I believe it would have better black top handling than the Front wheel drive box above. Same limitations in diff ratios as above too. Cut and shut will be the only way to solve this. Best box for on road/off road if you're willing to go the whole hog with a decent diff ratio IMO. It is slightly shorter than an EJ series box, meaning a lengthened tail shaft would be needed.

L series gearboxes can be built into an EJ dual range casing (front split casings only used) without any issues if its a Gen I box, Gen II onwards theres a few tricks to it I believe. I've done a swap with a Gen I box, very easy to do. The advantages of this is it will bolt directly onto your EJ engine and you retain the stock EJ clutch/flywheel/starter etc. You will need a custom gearbox crossmember with this gearbox regardless of what casing it is in. The rear casing houses the centre diff (AWD version)/rear drive engaging mechanism (PT 4wd version) and has to stay with the gearbox internals it came with. Hope this makes sense.

As far as my EJ gearbox knowledge goes:

Gen I Liberty Dual Range AWD gearbox: 1.19:1 Low, 3.9 diff.

Gen II Liberty Dual Range AWD gearbox: 1.19:1 Low, 3.7 diff.

Impreza dual range AWD gearbox: 1.44:1 Low, diff ratio unknown (hadn't thought about that until now...)

Early Turbo gearboxes I know to be 4.111 diff ratio, single range.

Some foz's have 4.11 ratio diffs, but I don't know which models to look at there etc.

As for building an EJ gearbox its like lego. You can put the 1.59:1 L series low range into an EJ dual range box with 4.11 diff ratio as well, but the crown wheel of the diff will need some meat shaved off to allow the physically larger L low gearset to fit in and work as it should. There are members here (PeeJay I think) who have done this with success.

Hope that's a start/help. From what I understand of the states, your biggest hurdle will be finding an EJ dual range casing. Best of luck!

Cheers

Bennie

suparu

Post by suparu » Tue May 11, 2010 3:24 am

AlpineRaven wrote:nah, yeah EJ18/EJ20 Impreza 1992-1996 models. They had 1.592:1 low range. You gotta be lucky to find one!
Cheers
AP
And thanks for your info to AP! I saw your other thread with your complete EJ low range swap.. LOTS of good info in there... I saved it on the HD for later reference ;)

cheers,
-mw-

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Tue May 11, 2010 10:53 am

suparu wrote:dual range? is this a turbo OB? is it still or going to be sotting around for a while??:rolleyes::-D
Yep, dual range.
Non-turbo - we didn't get the turbo OBK's here.
Was still going ok till Easter (centre diff was on its way out - binding up after a decent drive) then I swapped in a 4.44 box and diff from a turbo Forester.

suparu

Post by suparu » Wed May 12, 2010 9:05 am

bobbyjimmy wrote:Yep, dual range.
Non-turbo - we didn't get the turbo OBK's here.
Was still going ok till Easter (centre diff was on its way out - binding up after a decent drive) then I swapped in a 4.44 box and diff from a turbo Forester.
Hmm, seems less than ideal for my purposes.. although upping the stock low range to 1.59:1 would require opening the box, then maybe a rebuild of the center diff? Hmm, sounds above my ability though :(
Want to donate it to my project in the US and I'll cover shipping? :cool:

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed May 12, 2010 7:41 pm

suparu wrote:Hmm, seems less than ideal for my purposes.. although upping the stock low range to 1.59:1 would require opening the box, then maybe a rebuild of the center diff? Hmm, sounds above my ability though :(
Want to donate it to my project in the US and I'll cover shipping? :cool:
Outback has 1.19:1 low.
You could use single range centre diff in dual range box, it'll fit.
You'll need to convert the low range gearing in outback box from l series. See my signature.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

suparu

Post by suparu » Thu May 27, 2010 3:26 am

I like where this thread is going and what to keep it stimulated...

Been busy as stay-at-home dad these few months so my online presence if limited... ;)
So, sounds like (from bobbyjimmy) second gen outbacks had dual range with 4.11 final drive? Any other confirmation on this claim?

I've copied this thread (and yours alipineraven) for later review..

But it sounds like to get a 4.11 dual range FT AWD with 1.59:1 low, there are a few ways to go about it...

A: Get a legacy D/R and make it 4.11 and use EA82 to get 1.59:1 low...
B: Get Fozzie D/R (for its 4.11) and use EA82 to get 1.59:1 low... ??
C: Get second gen outback D?R and use EA82 to get 1.59:1 low...
D: Get Ausie D/R halves (shell only) and use U.S. outback 4.11 5MT guts plus use EA82 to get 1.59:1 low...

Then there's the allure of an RX? lockable center diff to throw in the mix too?

I've gotten wind of another D/R AWD box here in the U.S. so I'm looking into that, but what would it take to get a D/R box from Aussie land to U.S.ie land? If I can source a D/R box here, that would save me a grand and a half in buying and shipping, then an EA82 would be cheap here to get the real low, and if need be, and OB 5MT or first gen legacy 5MT with 4.11 would also be readily available here for the 4.11 parts...

Thisproject is down the road and probably a piece-y-piece venture but trying to get my story and info straight so I have a clue how to go about it and what to go about acquiring along the way, without ending up with too much superfluous stuff not needed...

Alpineraven, your thread is and will be most helpful, thanks for that link!!

Keep the sweet info coming, tips and tricks and things to look out for with this mod.

-mark-

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu May 27, 2010 8:35 pm

suparu wrote:I like where this thread is going and what to keep it stimulated...

Been busy as stay-at-home dad these few months so my online presence if limited... ;)
So, sounds like (from bobbyjimmy) second gen outbacks had dual range with 4.11 final drive? Any other confirmation on this claim?

I've copied this thread (and yours alipineraven) for later review..

But it sounds like to get a 4.11 dual range FT AWD with 1.59:1 low, there are a few ways to go about it...

A: Get a legacy D/R and make it 4.11 and use EA82 to get 1.59:1 low...
B: Get Fozzie D/R (for its 4.11) and use EA82 to get 1.59:1 low... ??
C: Get second gen outback D?R and use EA82 to get 1.59:1 low...
D: Get Ausie D/R halves (shell only) and use U.S. outback 4.11 5MT guts plus use EA82 to get 1.59:1 low...

Then there's the allure of an RX? lockable center diff to throw in the mix too?

I've gotten wind of another D/R AWD box here in the U.S. so I'm looking into that, but what would it take to get a D/R box from Aussie land to U.S.ie land? If I can source a D/R box here, that would save me a grand and a half in buying and shipping, then an EA82 would be cheap here to get the real low, and if need be, and OB 5MT or first gen legacy 5MT with 4.11 would also be readily available here for the 4.11 parts...

Thisproject is down the road and probably a piece-y-piece venture but trying to get my story and info straight so I have a clue how to go about it and what to go about acquiring along the way, without ending up with too much superfluous stuff not needed...

Alpineraven, your thread is and will be most helpful, thanks for that link!!

Keep the sweet info coming, tips and tricks and things to look out for with this mod.

-mark-
G'day Mark,
Your welcome.. The Australian version 2nd Gen Liberty & Outback are 3.7:1 diff in the gearbox & rear diff along with 1.19:1 low.
3rd Gen Liberty are 3.9:1 diff with 1.42 low range, 3rd gen outback has 3.9:1 with 1.19 low.
Forrester has 4.11 with 1.42 low range.

You cannot use EA82 centre/locking in AWD box it wont fit/work as its completely different.

You cannot use single range AWD to convert dual range - again wont work because of the shaft is all in one piece in single range AWD.

So best bet is to source any AWD dual range box, even better if you could get impreza box because it already has the low range what you wanted, 2nd best gearbox is 1st Gen Liberty box because you dont need to machine anything.

You could use 4.11 or 4.44 final drive in dual range box but you will need to machine the crown/low range selector.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

suparu

Post by suparu » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:08 am

Thanks AP,

So the best way to get a 4.11 final, dual range, AWD is to get a forester box?

Cheaper may be to do a liberty box and make it 4.11, but i'd still have a lame low gear, thus another tranny to make it worth while low... thus like 3 trannies

AP, you say second gen liberties are 3.9 with 1.42 low?
then that could be made into 4.11 with a US outback tranny's guts, no?
(A couple folks here have taken EA82 4x4 trannies and made them 4.11 instead of their stock 3.9 final)

I would be happy with the fozzy 1.42, of course 1.59 would be better, BUT having dual range AWD would be better than my single range. AND 1.42:1 isn't too far from the best 1.59:1, particulalr when compared to have 1.42:1 to having NO low range ;)

So, would the forester box (4.11 with 1.42:1) just bolt up to my EJ22? I'd get keep my new clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing and pressure plate with a fozzy box too, right?

So for ease and only slightly less than the most ideal setup would be to source a forester box, do a straight tranny, bolt-on swap and call it good?

SOOOOO, does anyone down under know anyone who could help me out with finding a good used forester 5 speed? And help me figure cheapest shipping from there to here?
It sounds like it would be 4.11 final and 1.42:1 low gear, full time AWD... :cool:

That would be neat!! :-D

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:27 am

suparu wrote:Thanks AP,

So the best way to get a 4.11 final, dual range, AWD is to get a forester box?
Yes you can do that way, it will have 1.42 low range.
suparu wrote: Cheaper may be to do a liberty box and make it 4.11, but i'd still have a lame low gear, thus another tranny to make it worth while low... thus like 3 trannies
Yes you either will need 2 or 3 transmissions, if someone else has 4.11 crown & pinion from single range or WRX/Legacy box, it will fit/work but it has to be pre-98/99 box.
suparu wrote:
AP, you say second gen liberties are 3.9 with 1.42 low?
then that could be made into 4.11 with a US outback tranny's guts, no?
(A couple folks here have taken EA82 4x4 trannies and made them 4.11 instead of their stock 3.9 final)
1st Gen Liberty has 3.9:1 final drive with 1.19:1 low range.

2nd Gen Liberty has 3.7:1 final drive with 1.19:1 low range - same with 2nd Gen Outback.

3rd Gen Liberty has 3.9:1 final drive with 1.42 low.
3rd Gen Outback has 3.9:1 final drive with 1.19 low.

I would be interested how he did it with 4.11 in EA box!
suparu wrote: I would be happy with the fozzy 1.42, of course 1.59 would be better, BUT having dual range AWD would be better than my single range. AND 1.42:1 isn't too far from the best 1.59:1, particulalr when compared to have 1.42:1 to having NO low range ;)
If you can find Foz box with 1.42 low range, you still can install L series'
s EA's low range in Foz box - that would involve cracking the box open.
I know the differences between 1.19:1 low and 1.59:1 - it was a BIG difference and it was LOT better, 1.19 is nothing - cannot help you to get out of big trouble situations! ie. stuck on 75° hill in 1st..

suparu wrote:
So, would the forester box (4.11 with 1.42:1) just bolt up to my EJ22? I'd get keep my new clutch, flywheel, throw out bearing and pressure plate with a fozzy box too, right?
Yes, it will straight bolt up on your EJ22, even 8 bolt gearboxes will bolt on 4bolt engines. Yes replace clutch & bearings while your on that area.
suparu wrote: So for ease and only slightly less than the most ideal setup would be to source a forester box, do a straight tranny, bolt-on swap and call it good?
yep possibly best option.... see next message..
suparu wrote: SOOOOO, does anyone down under know anyone who could help me out with finding a good used forester 5 speed? And help me figure cheapest shipping from there to here?
It sounds like it would be 4.11 final and 1.42:1 low gear, full time AWD... :cool:

That would be neat!! :-D
With Forrester Box, the only catch is - sourcing it is very limited as they aren't in "cheap" "pick a part" wreckers, I missed out once but the wreckers I go, you would see 1 Forester being wrecked per every 350 Subarus (Liberty, L Series, Impreza)... Bigger "money" wreckers are likely to have it, there is a wrecker I know in Moordialloc that might have them but I don't know their prices - I would be guessing roughly $600.

The wider range of dual range boxes is 1st Gen Liberty, very few 2nd Gen as well. And also 1st Gen Liberty box is easier to modify than other boxes - (no machinery required unless your fitting 4.11 ratio).
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

coxy

Post by coxy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Some other options are that some of the home market model EJ engined cars had as standard locking centre diff dual range boxes,as Jap imports they are virtually non existant here but some came into New Zealand,Kiwi Stubbie from memory on USMB found some as was willing to help out.
These could also be found on yahoo auctions Japan if you translate most probably they were sold in the Northern Islands of Japan.
Importers will also chase up special orders if you prepay a deposit and butter them up with some liquid throat massage elixir,no doubt over there as well as here.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:42 pm

coxy wrote:Some other options are that some of the home market model EJ engined cars had as standard locking centre diff dual range boxes,as Jap imports they are virtually non existant here but some came into New Zealand,Kiwi Stubbie from memory on USMB found some as was willing to help out.
I think you're mistaken for the EA82T GT2 touring wagon like the type that Chris Rogers got his hands onto. There is no EJ series subaru with a locking centre diff - and if you find one out there I highly doubt that it is from factory...

If they are out there why haven't we heard about them until now and why did subaru discontinue one of the best things they came up with - even though it wasn't really mass produced??

Cheers

Bennie

suparu

Post by suparu » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:14 am

coxy wrote:Some other options are that some of the home market model EJ engined cars had as standard locking centre diff dual range boxes,as Jap imports they are virtually non existant here but some came into New Zealand,Kiwi Stubbie from memory on USMB found some as was willing to help out.
These could also be found on yahoo auctions Japan if you translate most probably they were sold in the Northern Islands of Japan.
Importers will also chase up special orders if you prepay a deposit and butter them up with some liquid throat massage elixir,no doubt over there as well as here.
I remember that debocle on USMB, I think it was kiwishooter trying to move those parts on USMB, but he got railed by a couple people for being new to the group and being "suspicious" by his good intentions. LAME!!!
I should shoot him PM and see what his story is with those trannies.

I wouldn't mind a locking center diff 3.9 dual range with alame 1.19 low...
It could be worked into the tranny i really want with some time and effort (4.11 and a 1.59:1 low)...
coxy wrote:These could also be found on yahoo auctions Japan if you translate most probably they were sold in the Northern Islands of Japan.
hmm, interesting... please elaborate on what I'd need to do with this idea. . .

I kind of burned up a bunch of my year-old clutch this weeknd, backing my little camp trailer up the driveway :(

SO the dual range is MORE AND MORE appealing, or the cheap, maybe easier ption of just getting a local outback 4.11 automatic :(
I'd really, REALLY rather have the D/R 5 speed, but the 4EAT would be a cheap, easy and quick way of getting better (4.11) gearing and better towability....

thoughts, ideas? support? :)

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”