Interested in what's available down under

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Point

Post by Point » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 pm

hydraulic push clutch.

I have checked the hydraulic clutch pedal assembly from the forrie and it fits into a 93 G1 Liberty, and also you can convert the Forrie box to cable clutch by removing the clutch fork pivot ball and screwing it into the lower hole, then fitting the cable clutch parts.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

suparu

Post by suparu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:34 am

AndrewT wrote:the bar across the top of the forum (User CP, FAQ, Members List, Calendar etc) has a "Classifieds" button.

click it and follow the instructions.
You have to be a paid member.

Is there a donation minimum for this site, particularly to allow posting in the classifieds, and how do I donate on this site?

Thanks,
-mark-
The first time I read the dictionary, I thought it was a book about everything.
-S. Wright-

If at first you don't succeed, rev harder!

suparu

Post by suparu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:38 am

Very good info Point,

So it will not be too much hassle to fit a gen 1 AUS forester gear box to my US legacy, as far as functioning clutch actuation is concerned....whenever I am able to get that magic box and have it swim across the pond then hike to my house :rolleyes:

Thanks!

-mw-
Point wrote:hydraulic push clutch.

I have checked the hydraulic clutch pedal assembly from the forrie and it fits into a 93 G1 Liberty, and also you can convert the Forrie box to cable clutch by removing the clutch fork pivot ball and screwing it into the lower hole, then fitting the cable clutch parts.
-S. Wright-

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:50 am

suparu wrote:Hey Seagull,

Sorry to raise suspicions but you are wise (especially this day and age and on the internet) to be cautious. I realize I'm new to this thread (as well as offroadsubarus.com) but I have been around other subaru forums for a while (namely USMB for going on 6 years). ...-
Mark is a Good Friend of mine, I Know him Personally, he Came to my Country and I Took him for a Ride in one of my Subarus.

Also here in Latin America we Have those Dual Range EJ Transmissions, but is Very Hard to see a Subaru in a Junk Yard, here in the Caribbean Tropics Cars trend to Last Forever Somehow...

Could I Ask if in Australia was Available a Dual Range Automatic (4EAT) in Some Models?

Kind Regards.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Loyale 2.7 Turbo wrote:Mark is a Good Friend of mine, I Know him Personally, he Came to my Country and I Took him for a Ride in one of my Subarus.

Also here in Latin America we Have those Dual Range EJ Transmissions, but is Very Hard to see a Subaru in a Junk Yard, here in the Caribbean Tropics Cars trend to Last Forever Somehow...

Could I Ask if in Australia was Available a Dual Range Automatic (4EAT) in Some Models?

Kind Regards.
There is no D/R in automatic and I've never seen one, only comes in manuals.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:48 pm

Thank you for your Kind Answer.

suparu

Post by suparu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:23 am

I have more questions. . . :)

What years of 5 speed gear boxes came with a vehicle speed sensor in the tranny (I assume just older ones, maybe older than 2000??), vs. which transmissions did NOT have this VSS?

I have a lead on a couple D/R 5 speeds (YIPPIE!!!) one has this vehicle speed sensor provision (this one is 3.90 final drive) and the other gear box does not have the vehicle speed sensor provision (this one is 4.11 final drive, as you know this is what I'd prefer).

Will one work specifically as plug-and-play in my 95 legacy/liberty, or would both work in my car?

I assume this VSS is a specific circuit/plug/part that works the speedometer physically or maybe electronically?
And if one gearbox has this sensor, how does the one w/o the sensor work the speedometer?

bottom line, do I need a transmission With the VSS, or do I need a transmission WITHOUT the VSS?

thanks for your knowledge. . .

***EDIT***
here's more info from a recent email,

"The good news the one with the speed sensor and the male stubs for the front diff is a 3.9 final drive.

But since you are looking for a 4.11, that is the one without the vss."

So 3.90 final drive, has speed sensor and male stubs for the front diff... Does that mean it uses female front CV axles??

and the 4.11 without a VSS has transmission code 6J-TY757XRBAB and (I think) is speced for a 2004-2006 Legacy/Liberty JDM and Australian models.

Will this work in my 1995 legacy?

The info, as I saw it third hand and originally from a Canadian forum, is this...

Transmission code: 6J-TY757XRBAB
2004-2006 Legacy JDM and Australian models.

5-speed manual transmission
Gear ratio - 1st 3.454
Gear ratio - 2nd 2.062
Gear ratio - 3rd 1.448
Gear ratio - 4th 1.088
Gear ratio - 5th 0.780 -
Gear ratio - reverse 3.333
Final reduction gear ratio 4.111
Dual range reduction ratio 1.196"

So will this (04-06 leggo/liberty) gear box with 4.11 bolt and plug into my 95 leggo and work after accounting for clutch differences (hydro vs. cable and push vs. pull)? Or will this be a bear to make work with my speedometer?

differences between male and female front axes are also a concern. . . I assume I have male inner CV axles, thus female front diff in the transmission? Or am I wrong there?

I guess I don't know if my car has male or female ends in the transmission's front diff...
Ooh, then there's the rear. I assume all my CV axles are male-male, thus I'd have female in the transmission and in the rear diff?

Am i on topic there or am I wrong?
:confused: :???: :???: :confused:
-S. Wright-

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:46 pm

I know that the early liberty boxes have both cable and then VSS setups. The gen 1 has cable and the gen 2 has the speed sensor, they are interchangeable on these gearboxes. As for the later models I couldn't give you a definite positive or negative answer to the question. But AFAIK it should be interchangeable on the later gearboxes as well due to the sensor being external - could be wrong though.

It sounds like you're getting very close to getting the gearbox and rear diff sorted. And yes, the front diff stubs means that you will need "female" CV cups (sounds a little wrong) to fit to your subi. I'm pretty sure all manual gearbox diffs use male stubs... But again I'm willing to be told wrong and learn something new...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

suparu

Post by suparu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:09 am

El_Freddo wrote:I know that the early liberty boxes have both cable and then VSS setups. The gen 1 has cable and the gen 2 has the speed sensor, they are interchangeable on these gearboxes. As for the later models I couldn't give you a definite positive or negative answer to the question. But AFAIK it should be interchangeable on the later gearboxes as well due to the sensor being external - could be wrong though.

It sounds like you're getting very close to getting the gearbox and rear diff sorted. And yes, the front diff stubs means that you will need "female" CV cups (sounds a little wrong) to fit to your subi. I'm pretty sure all manual gearbox diffs use male stubs... But again I'm willing to be told wrong and learn something new...

Cheers

Bennie
Thanks Bennie!

While in a perfect world I would love a gen 1 FOR gear box (97-98 ), BUT beggars can't be choosers. And given what I've come up with in 3+ years, I might be relegated to grabbing what first comes available. :(

BUT, if that means a (gen 2?) legacy/liberty box, that also means bolt-on application. Of course I'll do the GL/EA low gear swap, but I might just leave it 3.90 rather than getting a third box to make it 4.11.

That can be done down the road at some point. Besides, 4.11 might not be that noticeable of a change behind an ej22.
The numbers say "it would be better to turn 27" tires", but the time and money might say, "do the low gear and put the transmission in".

At ay rate, here are some pix of the trannies in question.

SO, the 3.90 gear box, with male stubs out the tranny, and VSS (pictured in back in the first photo) looks like a straight swap with my current gear box (with male stubs)..

So, price-dependent (crossing fingers for a good shipped price ;), I may end up with a 3.90 FD 1.19:1 low, BUT a dual range AWD in the states and in my car!!!
I'll swap the low (thanks AlpineRaven for the super-sweet write-up) gear but maybe just leave it 3.90 for now...

Can anyone verify the era/generation of this gearbox, based on these photos (the one in back in the top picture, the one with male axle stubs sticking out)?

:mrgreen: SO CLOSE!! :mrgreen:
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:10 am

and photos of my USDM 5MT with 3.90 FD
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:25 am

Here's a good side-by-side...
When I flip between the 2 pictures, the gear boxes are pretty close but with some (hopefully minor) differences.
On more detailed further inspection, the photo with the bell housing on the left is showing the female axled gearbox (I think this is the 4.11 from an 04-06 legacy).

ImageImage

ImageImage
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 am

BUMP

Well he wants $1400 for the 4.11 box (no VSS) and $1100 for the 3.90 box with VSS and male stubs. That's Canadian dollars (the US dollar is now DOWN from AUdollar AND CANdollar.. Wow, we suck now economically!

Hmm, that's about what the one Aussie 3.90 box that made it here was going for a few years ago, $1400 U$...

Spendy methinks! BUT, it's here and doable I guess. . . .

hmmmmm,
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Fri May 06, 2011 6:01 am

AlpineRaven wrote: I would be interested how he did it with 4.11 in EA box!
Hey AlineRaven,

I know this is a slow long time delayed response, but regarding your response to me saying I'd heard someone here int he statesmarrying an EA dual range to EJ AWD...

This is the project I was referencing...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... hp?t=98796

And I've since been directed to this thread also (although haven't gone through it yet)...
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... p?t=106140

Thanks again for all your previous help and direction in my D/R EJ questions and hunt...

I'm still working on it, although there are a couple in Canada right now... But a bit our of my price range (3.90 FD male tranny with 1.19:1 low, and a 4.11 final, female tranny, with 1.19:1 low)

Ooh yeah, one more thing... I read somewhere in AUsubaru that you have a good axle ratio calculator (updated Subaru calculator for the gearbox)...
Found it here: http://www.ausubaru.com.au/showthread.php?t=16198
would you mind bouncing that my way?

thanks,
-mark-
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Wow, so I haven't been here in a while...

I did find a 99 OB 5MT locally and swapped it in my car. That gave me reverse again (YAY), but more importantly i now have 4.11 axle ratio!! It made such a difference!!
WOW!!
So now, with 27" tires, the car is responseive, accelerates well, has low end, is much torque-er and a stronger (although also slightly shorter) 5th gear.

It's still a single range, but now I have 4.11 FD!!

Anyhoo, on the dual range note... i'm still looking for a gen 1 fozzie DR 5MT, but in theat continuing search, I came across a thread where a guy back east in teh US got a DR Aussie 5MT shipped to him. He dropped it in his 6" lifted forester and shows GREAT results.

At any rate he got his Aussie DR from these guys: http://www.alldrivesubaroo.com.au/

Does anyone have opinions or feedback about All Drive Subaroo down by Sydney??

I haven't gotten any pricing but it looks like they sell 2nd hand gearboxes that they've also gone through, as well as FULLY rebuilt gearboxes (4 different packages) with altered front diffs, modified 5th gear and different low gears. It looks like these guys do it all!!

I'm curious for your feedback, my Australian friends.

thanks,
-mark-
-S. Wright-

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Cool, I'm also going with 4.11 soon and good to hear that it has such a difference:) I've also got 27' tyres and used to have 3.9 ratio:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:04 am

I've never heard of these guys so i can't tell you what they're like I'm sorry.

Once you get your dual range sorted you won't know yourself!!

Cheers

Bennie

suparu

Post by suparu » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:27 am

guyph_01 wrote:Cool, I'm also going with 4.11 soon and good to hear that it has such a difference:) I've also got 27' tyres and used to have 3.9 ratio:)
You will be satisfied with 4.1s and 27's At first I didn't think so much about it, but after driving the 4.11 swap in daily driving and a bit of mild wheeling, yeah, it's noticeable!!

now, [for me] to get a low gear :cool:
-S. Wright-

suparu

Post by suparu » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:32 am

El_Freddo wrote:I've never heard of these guys so i can't tell you what they're like I'm sorry.

Once you get your dual range sorted you won't know yourself!!

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah Bennie, that's the truth!! ;)

I will keep you all updated as I progress in this new conversation with all drive subaroo.

They did write back and wanted where in the US I am (zip code and state) and to know what I was looking for to help them with their quote on a [gone through] second hand gearbox. :D

only 5 years in on my search, and I DO want to extent thanks for those folks who've stepped up to offer and help me on this quest!!!

logistics and details on an international junkyarding venture are and have been difficult and problematic at best, but a big thanks to those of you who've offered to help out!!

Ooh, other offers to assist are still welcome, AND likewise if I can do anything to help you guys out let me know!

-mark-
-S. Wright-

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:50 pm

suparu wrote:I will keep you all updated as I progress in this new conversation with all drive subaroo.

They did write back and wanted where in the US I am (zip code and state) and to know what I was looking for to help them with their quote on a [gone through] second hand gearbox. :D
I've just checked them out last week - another mate is looking at the same thing... I'd steer clear of the clutch pack LSD and go for the mechanical unit as it is pretty much maintenance free compared to the clutch pack that needs regular servicing (read: pull and split gearbox each time!!).

What I reckon you're after suparu is the 4.11 front diff with mechanical LSD, 1.61:1 low range (:twisted:) and what ever the 5th gear is that you're using for cruising if you're happy with it now. And if you're feeling really cashed up go for the RA 1st and 2nd gearsets as they're apparently thicker/stronger than the regular gearsets...

Cheers

Bennie

suparu

Post by suparu » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:38 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I've just checked them out last week - another mate is looking at the same thing... I'd steer clear of the clutch pack LSD and go for the mechanical unit as it is pretty much maintenance free compared to the clutch pack that needs regular servicing (read: pull and split gearbox each time!!).

What I reckon you're after suparu is the 4.11 front diff with mechanical LSD, 1.61:1 low range (:twisted:) and what ever the 5th gear is that you're using for cruising if you're happy with it now. And if you're feeling really cashed up go for the RA 1st and 2nd gearsets as they're apparently thicker/stronger than the regular gearsets...

Cheers

Bennie
Yeah, I'm curious about their "mechanical" LSDs advertised in their (aka alldrivesubaroo) built gearboxes.

I was quoted AU$1015 for an inspected second hand gearbox with 4.11 FD and 1.44:1 low (aka 1st gen fozzie), and AU$850 shipped. So with currency exchange that's about U$ 1910....I'm not sure I want a dual range AWD THAT badly :(

But there's an Aussie fella on subaruforester.org who's willing to help me. he found a 2000 Forester 5MT for AU$850, but turns out he needed it for his rig.
Yay him, boo me :???:

At any rate, my search has yielded info and help. I know where to get a gone-through box, how much and how much shipped, so there's that source. AND I have someone who is willing to keep an eye out for me. So if he can figure ouot the shipping thing, I might be able to get one shipped for around U$1500, eventually.
(I know, you guys might think that's kind of steep for a tranny, but WE DIDN'T GET THOSE HERE.... :cool: and after 6 years of researching I know of 3 that have made it here... I'm sure there are more, but still, it would be a VERY unique and quite capable rig to have!!)

Still very jealous you guys have dual range AWD, even if they're nearly all 20% reduction (save early foresters and imprezas), you can mod them to be good.

Hey Bennie, how's your friend's build with alldrivesubaroo?
-S. Wright-

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”