Hard shifting auto outback

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
stamp_licker
General Member

Hard shifting auto outback

Post by stamp_licker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 pm

Got a problem with the auto in my 99 outback.Over the last 6 months or so on occasions the the auto will hold gears then slam into the next gear with a loud bang that you can feel through the car.It seems to happen when you are driving slowly for a while.The upshift,from 1st 2nd 3rd feels like the converter is locked or the line pressure hasn't backed off between shifts.
I normally dissconnect the battery to try to reset the tcu,which seems to work.Lately its become more common.Had the codes read and nothing showed up.Boxer said they had never heard of this before.
Fluid levels are good.
Got any idea's what it might be ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Hows the condition of the fluid? I've heard that can make a fair amount of difference.
Should be a nice red colour. If it's pale or browny the fluid needs replacing.
Possibly it might need a seal kit. I think these are relatively cheap and can be installed via the sump fairly easily.

stamp_licker
General Member

Post by stamp_licker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Fluids ok in consistency and colour but is due for replacement.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]aka the_postie
Building a hardcore postie:D

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:50 pm

stamp_licker wrote:Fluids ok in consistency and colour but is due for replacement.
Replace the fluid & the filter, like what AndrewT said, It also may need a service in the transmission. So replace the fluid first before next step.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

riksta

Post by riksta » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 pm

I was thinking that maybe the filter needs replacing like AlpineRaven said befor you do anything else.
I have have not had this with mine, the worst it dose is it holds a low gear longer than it should when gathering speed when I have the camper trailer on.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:23 pm

riksta wrote:I was thinking that maybe the filter needs replacing like AlpineRaven said befor you do anything else.
I have have not had this with mine, the worst it dose is it holds a low gear longer than it should when gathering speed when I have the camper trailer on.

Rik.
yep, I had an Commodore once a while back with no reverse when it gets hot, i changed the filter & oil, bingo reverse is back!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”