EA82 Oil Pump Priming

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Wagonman

EA82 Oil Pump Priming

Post by Wagonman » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:47 pm

Hey Guys,

I have rebuilt an EA82 carby and have just got it running today and it was ticking its nuts off which was expected but it didnt stop and got hot pretty quick..

I have a nasty feeling that the oil pump isnt doing its job and want know how to check if its working or how to prime the oil pump?

Any help would be great!

Wagonman

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:13 pm

Did the oil pressure light go out?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:37 am

I've got an aftermarket oil pressure sender on there at the moment that i haven't hooked up yet.. I was gonna hook that up tomorrow with the temp guage aswell, but yeah good point that would definitely tell me if its working!
I guess in theory you could also take the oil filter or oil pressure sender off and see if oil squirts out right?

The oil pump was sitting dry for about 3-4 months after rebuilding it and i've heard since then that they need something to push against to be able to start pumping when they are dry but i dont know if this is true for the EA82.

Just figuring out what to do next before i start it again and possibly destroy it!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:56 am

i have removed oil filter and shoved suitable size pvc hose into the off centre hole, a funnel and just dribbled oil in to prime and that did the job, simply filling oil filter did not .

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:31 am

Sweet as.. i'll give that a go when i can and let you know if that helps. thanks steptoe.

Wagonman

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:28 am

I found it primes back from pump to sump if my memory serves me correctly, just gets rid of that air lock

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Not much you can do really other than what Steptoe has said. Just make sure it has some oil on the moving parts before you install it, only needs a smear to help lubricate things...

Always a nasty feeling knowing there's no oil in the oil pump on that first start up after rebuilding...

I remember on my EA82 rebuild before installing the cambelt I filled the engine with the usual amount of oil and ran the old cam belt on the oil pump, powering it with an electric drill. I did this for a few minutes and left it at that.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:29 am

Now, that is a clever idea! I once did simialr with a Falcon six before installing the dizzy over the oil pump drive shaft , an 8mm socket over the drive and turned by hand until oil gurgled out oil pressure switch hole.

onethousandhp

Post by onethousandhp » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:42 pm

I have been told in the past that you can pack oil pumps with Vaseline when new to help with priming. I recently put together a Rover V8 (for one of my other cars, not my Subaru!) and was having trouble getting oil pressure initially. I tried using Vaseline and found that this cured the problem.

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:22 am

The other day i got around to priming the oil pump. I got piece of vacuum hose i think and stuck it on the end of a little oil squirty can and shoved that hose as far down the offset hole next to the oil fliter thread and squirted a few times and then put the filter back and started it.. and it was all sweet.

I hooked up the oil pressure guage to check it and it read 50-60psi. Anyone have anything to compare that with?

She's still ticking like crazy but its alot better, i reckon i have to take it for a good spin and another oil change and hopefully it'll sort itself out. I didnt replace the lash adjusters when i rebuilt it cos they werent noisey before and there wasnt much movement in them when i took them out so they should be alright.

Wagonman

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:14 am

can take me fifteen or so km at op temp low speeds 40, 50 k to sort out the ea82 lifters that were quiet before and then noisy on reassembly. think even if you bleed on bench with singer sew mach oil it steel bleeds out before you get it together and running

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:24 pm

It took Baz - my sister's old '84 L sedan a drive from central vic to cairns before his lifters settled down! Sounded like a diesel when he left home...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:26 am

Thanks for your input guys.. It's a good thing i got big round trip of the Southwest coming up soon then, that should sort her out hopefully. But first i have negative camber issue on the on RHR wheel to fix (hub is bent i think)and I have no brake pedal pressure to sort out in the next few weekends.

She's getting there though.

cheers.
wagonman.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:50 am

better come in and correct things. EA81 was easy to prime by shoving a rubber fuel or trans cooler hose fitted with a funnel in the off-set hole of the oil pump with the filter off - not the threaded hole.

The EA82 I did the other day I discovered the oil pump offset hole goes up hill first and does not take oil in same way with hose and funnel.

Simply added the oil to full in sump, with spark plugs out turned engine over by hand on the cranks 22mm bolt with hand ratchet with oil filter off until it spilled out - drain dish is a good idea too :)

Then fitted oil filter and continued by hand to fill filter and prime oil galleries.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”