Converting EA flywheel for EJ

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
subarooster

Converting EA flywheel for EJ

Post by subarooster » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:02 am

G'day all, I'm at that point now where pretty much the only thing holding me back on the conversion is the flywheel. I've been told to have it machined to bolt onto the EJ but i'm just not sure how to go about it. How did everybody else do it? I'm just wondering how you'd make a template and whether anyone has taken their newly adapted flywheel to a drivetrain place and had it balanced? Any information would be greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers, Tom

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:10 am

subarooster wrote:G'day all, I'm at that point now where pretty much the only thing holding me back on the conversion is the flywheel. I've been told to have it machined to bolt onto the EJ but i'm just not sure how to go about it. How did everybody else do it? I'm just wondering how you'd make a template and whether anyone has taken their newly adapted flywheel to a drivetrain place and had it balanced? Any information would be greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers, Tom
As far as i know, and did myself with our current project that is in the subie boys folder in the restoration area of the forum . We used a EJ flywheel.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:24 am

Tom, to get the right answer I think you may need to tell which gearbo you intend to use. Sounds like you keeping L Series 5 speed? Search is your friend. Among others , El Freddo has a huge thread on EJ conversions covering many aspects

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:55 am

Obviously he's intending to use an EA gearbox.
Elongating the holes slightly until they fit by using a long skinny round file works perfectly fine. This has been done in several conversions I am aware of here, and did it myself and had no issues what-so-ever in any of them. Just abit of a sore arm straight after completing the work as it can take an hour or two!
The flywheel is held absolutely true in the middle by the spindle anyway, the bolts don't contribute to how centered it is, just hold it on there.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 am

I sent mine to an engineering place, told them I wanted the EJ bolt pattern on the EA flywheel. $80 and 4 days later it was done. They had filled the EA holes and redrilled EJ patten holes. Never had a problem. Did the same thing for two other EJ-Ea gearbox brumby conversions and had no issues at all. The flywheel was shaved to match the new clutch kit but that's all.
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:29 pm

AndrewT wrote:Obviously he's intending to use an EA gearbox.
Elongating the holes slightly until they fit by using a long skinny round file works perfectly fine. This has been done in several conversions I am aware of here, and did it myself and had no issues what-so-ever in any of them. Just abit of a sore arm straight after completing the work as it can take an hour or two!
The flywheel is held absolutely true in the middle by the spindle anyway, the bolts don't contribute to how centered it is, just hold it on there.
try more like 4 hours min. this was the hardest part of the whole conversion. id def pay for it to be done if i did it again

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:45 pm

haha well I dunno, I found it quite easy. Was using a good quality file (which makes a huge difference), and I'm not a pussy :)
It worked perfectly, and it was free, so I liked it.

GOD

Post by GOD » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:29 pm

I have an even better idea - get it done at an engineering shop for free ;). Gotta know the right people though.

It's 10 minute setup + 10 minutes work on a mill, and there's no need to plug the old holes. If you find the right shop, a carton should cover it.

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

subarooster

Post by subarooster » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Cheers for the help fella's. :) I thought it was going to be a long and painful activity. Makes me feel alot more motivated for the conversion. Well in the next week or two, there may be a ej20 conversion thread to keep you all posted. :D Cheers

Current Projects: *Offroad Racing MY Touring Wagon.
* EA82T Jap spec L series Wagon.

Previous rides: *Supercharged EJ25 Rwd Brumby
* 2 x 91' L series Ej20, 3 inch lift, mud tyres.
01' Liberty B4.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”