Boosting EA82

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
smsubarus

Boosting EA82

Post by smsubarus » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:53 pm

Hello
I've got a 1987 RX Leone. I was just wondering what would be the safest maximum level to boost the turbo?
Car has 2.5 inch exhaust straight from the turbo with high flow muffler, also has a toyota supra top mount intercooler. Car always runs on BP ultimate fuel.

Thanks.
Current Subies:
87 Leone RX Turbo (Car Club Car)
85 Leone RX Turbo x 2
87 Leone Turbo Auto ?
86 XT Vortex
04 Impreza GX (Fiance's)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:50 pm

How long is a piece of string?

I ran mine on 10psi for over a year, but unfortunately a dodgy radiator fan caused it to overheat.

Some EA82T's are able to run high boost for ages, some cant handle it. It mostly depends on the condition of your engine and well it has been looked after
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:54 pm

With a standard EA82T never rebuilt, (Given lifetime maintenance and overall condiotion) the higher the boost over standard (factory) the shorter the life and reliabilty compromised. FHI Engineers at that stage in Subarus develpoment always swayed towards reliability and longevity in their mass produced goods. Consider that a EJ?? series engine has 5 main bearings + Wasted spark ignition + 2 exhaust ports per Cyl head. Versus EA82T's 3 main, Single coil with dizzy and only 1 Exhaust port per head, and you begin to get the basics as to why you cant go far in stock form without injecting some serious clams in improving ( so far as weight and parasitic loss reduction) the EA82T for what it is and can be.

H-top

Post by H-top » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 am

No knock control i take it?
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”