Liberty Automatic AWD not working - No power to rear wheels!

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Tone

Liberty Automatic AWD not working - No power to rear wheels!

Post by Tone » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:07 pm

This was originally being discussed in this thread.
http://www.ausubaru.com.au/showthread.php?t=14583
I thought I would start a new thread as the other one predominantly was discussing manual gearboxes and viscous couplings.

My 95 2.2 automatic liberty is not sending any power to the rear wheels. I have just had this confirmed by a Subaru dismantler / mechanic. It definitely has no traction to the rear, something he has never seen happen to one of these. He suspects that it is an internal problem with the gearbox and that the most economical fix is replace with a 2nd hand automatic gearbox at $800 fitted with new seals, filter and oil. (or $550 to supply only)

I understand that the automatics have a hydraulic controlled wet clutch system, is it feasible to replace, or best just replace the entire box. Are there any other components that fail preventing the clutch from working?

If anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations for me, they would be much appreciated?
Self Confessed All Wheel Drive Addict. Been Driving Subaru's for many years. Not sure why I went astray and had an Audi Quattro for a year. Came to my senses and got myself another trusty Subaru Wagon!

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:22 pm

what about that fuse under the bonnet that makes only front drive work. ii think its near the brake master cylinder? someone?
"UNDERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"OVERSTEER" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"HORSEPOWER" is how fast you hit the fence.
"TORQUE" is how far you take the fence with you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If it works, pull it apart to see why.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:26 pm

I'd try putting a fuse in first.
An automatic box from wreckers if you pull it out yourself is less than $100.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:05 pm

you put the fuse IN to make it FWD.

when theres nothing in there its AWD.

checked obvious things like blown rear cvs or even the rear diff?

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:10 pm

the clutch and its control solenoid is easy to replace. you can do it with the box in the car but you will spill oil everywhere. All these parts are contained in hte rear extension housing of the box.

You have 3 main points of failure:

1. the TCU is keeping the clutch open resulting in FWD
2. the solenoid on the clutches is stuffed
3. the clutches themselves are burnt out.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:24 pm

vincentvega wrote:the clutch and its control solenoid is easy to replace. you can do it with the box in the car but you will spill oil everywhere. All these parts are contained in hte rear extension housing of the box.

You have 3 main points of failure:

1. the TCU is keeping the clutch open resulting in FWD
2. the solenoid on the clutches is stuffed
3. the clutches themselves are burnt out.
+1 :) Check these first

How are they diganosing that the auto is not driving the rear wheels?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Tone

Post by Tone » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks for all the responses.

I have tried fuse in/out to try to cycle the solenoid but no improvement.

CV's, driveshaft and rear diff seem OK, so it's all pointing to the clutch or control system

since posting I found this interesting article: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99- ... ssion.html

How do I first test TCU and Solenoid before jumping into gearbox changes?

Any ideas on what new clutch pack is worth? Or is it best to grab one from a used box?

Alpineraven, where do I find the wreckers that are cheap as that? The way you describe it is like a self-serve. I'm in Newcastle area, wonder if I can find one here?

Vincentvega, thanks for your input. Gotta say I love the look of that Gen1 Liberty in front of Ulura. I still miss my old Gen1 - it got to 340,000kms before I drove it in front of a Hilux, that killed it :-( I'm sure it would have easily made it to 400,000+ and probably without even needing a service.
Self Confessed All Wheel Drive Addict. Been Driving Subaru's for many years. Not sure why I went astray and had an Audi Quattro for a year. Came to my senses and got myself another trusty Subaru Wagon!

Tone

Post by Tone » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:31 pm

This forum is so good!

Some nice person posted a manual here showthread.php?t=7011

From that I found the pinouts for the TCU to test the resistance of the Soleniod "c" and at section 3.2-part 2 page 121 there is even details for a transfer clutch pressure test !

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:37 am

My lib has been everywhere mate. I just got back from cape york, i need to get around to putting some pics up at some stage.

dont stress about this AWD problem. You aren't damaging anything so you can take your time sorting it out.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”