L series Air / Fuel Ratio

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Punisher

L series Air / Fuel Ratio

Post by Punisher » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:03 pm

I finally got around to doing a fuel economy test on my L series.
Turns out it used 42 Lt to do 358 k's , so that equates to nearly 12 Lt per 100k's

Thats all city driving, but going easy on the pedal. Pretty poor economy from what I gather. Ive used the engine cleaning spray, replaced the air cleaner, plugs ... Next thing would be to check the Air / Fuel Ratio ?

Can someone tell me the process to check and adjust the Air / Fuel Ratio on a carbied motor ( ea82 in a 94 L series )

Thanks

someguy

Post by someguy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:50 pm

Thats actually pretty good for a carbed EA82

You have to remember it's a fairly small engine in quite a large car, it has to work hard to do little tasks

mine averages 12.5/100k with the fuel/air ratio correctly set, serviced every 5k, new leads, distributor, new coil, filters etc etc.
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:37 pm

Well with my 92' wagon I get about 11 L/100km city cycle, consistantly. Mind you I have recently overhauled the carby which included re-bushing the throttle plate shaft so there is no undue play. Custom exhaust system (Engine pipes right through, 2" Cat etc) + the stuff you mentioned in your tune up. As for checking the A/F ratio (I've had a standard 18.5mm bung fitted to engine pipes for a EGO sensor), Needs to be done at tail pipe. Plus subaru put a plug over idle mixture screw from factory (So not to degrade Catalytic Converters job). You can drill out this plug BUT check mixture output first at decent workshop before screwing around (Pun intended) with idle mixture screw. Oh and by the way its a bit difficult sometimes to resist using the right foot to hear the music these things make with a new exhuast system

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:49 pm

Bit unfair on the carby with all the fuel quality changes taken place since they were built. I do about 12 per hundred on LPG in my turbo L so I am stoked when I compare to your petrol figures. You'd really need to find a workshop that can do exhaust analysed ratio and be able to rejet the carby if necessary as that is how most of it would be changed. Pain in the arse that would be with the hitachi , sourcing and changing jets and reassemble to check etc.....

Gees the mpfi turbo was pretty good on fuel then ????

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:52 am

Best I can get with a carbied 91 L series is 10l/100km on the highway and a corresponding drop around town of a couple of kays per 100 litres.Sounds about right to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Thanks guys
Its a bit dissapointing then if thats the best I can expect.
Similar sort of economy to a 6 cyl falcon :???:

But at least I know theres nothing wrong with it.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:37 pm

4 cyl economy being any better than a six or sometimes an eight compared across a few decades can be a little deceptive eh. The falcon has not got a front diff or low range !

FujiFan

Post by FujiFan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:50 pm

Just another motivating factor really to upgrade to EA82T or EJ?? series engines.

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:39 pm

What economy are people getting out of EJ's in an L series ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:24 pm

and when you answer this allow for any discrepancy of the odometer too please.

Still to hear of any EJer that wants their EA variant back !!

someguy

Post by someguy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:13 pm

steptoe wrote:and when you answer this allow for any discrepancy of the odometer too please.

Still to hear of any EJer that wants their EA variant back !!
I had an EJ22 in my previous gen 2 lib

And an EA82 in my current L

I am one of the crazies who prefers the EA

But that's just because I am a carburetor enthusiast, I am sure if I drove a carbed EJ I would love it but I am yet to find one.
* 1990 L Series Sportswagon (Daily Driver)

* WTB 1982-84 MY 4WD Wagon (Any Condition)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:22 am

Punisher wrote:What economy are people getting out of EJ's in an L series ?
Really if you're looking for economy from an EJ it just isn't going to happen. When you put your foot on the accelerator pedal you actually go somewhere - then you find your foot going further in, thus resulting in going somewhere faster :twisted:

Seriously though, the EJ - the EJ22 gen1 series uses a little more fuel than the EA82 MPFI but would still be doing better than you're getting now. This is also with a three inch lift - higher body = more wind resistance, its also got a rear bar with a jerry can thus more weight to move around too. Overall I'm happy with it.

After the EJ conversion the next best thing I did was shove a 2 and a 1/4 inch cat back exhaust system. Very Noice!

Once you go EJ - you don't go back to EA, unless its in another subi that will be EJ'd shortly after you take possession of it :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”