ebay uni joints - anyone had luck?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

ebay uni joints - anyone had luck?

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:58 pm

G'day

Just wondering if anyone's had any experience with using the ebay uni joints.

Did the uni joint fit without issues of different spline count? And how well did it wear over time?

I'm weighing up some options with my drive shafts. I suspect the clicking on corners with any tiny acceleration and the grinding on deceleration to be due to a) the EJ, b) lots of towing and c) the flogging they copped up and down Mt Hotham last year. Robe was the last straw for them before they started complaining when we got home.

I'm basically wanting to have quiet reliable drive shafts and save some money by replacing the joints and boots. I can assemble them myself that's not an issue.

Any input on experiences with this that are shared would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:31 pm

yeah would also be interested in a cheeper driveshaft

I was wondering about pulling one of my second hands apart and seeing about clearancing and refreshing them, im not sure what makes them tick ( pun intended)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:02 pm

i used cheap ones in my wagon (whole shaft) although not from ebay, id expect them to be of similar quality.

all in all, i found them to be okay. The boots are what let them down, mind you boots didnt last very long on wanky wagon full stop.

they click when the bearing race wears out and the balls in the joint click in and out of position this cant be fixed, easier to try and find a new race or entire joint.

i do remeber once on the outer side of the joint i had trouble with the shaft that goes through the hub (the unsplined part) was too thick by a very small amount. Sounds dodgy but i just filed it down very carefully in a circular motion lol and it eventually came through and it worked fine.

i thought by uni joint you were referring to the tailshaft uni joints...

goodluck in your endeavours :)

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:49 am

I have been selling these for the last few months and have had no comebacks .... yet...
warranty is given .... with exclusions for lifted vehicles.....

http://www.anfdriveshafts.com/pdf/NEW%2 ... ALOGUE.pdf

I have been retailing them for $165.00 but will sell them to forum members here for $130.00 (subject to change without notice)

I would like to hear more from anyone who has run these for couple of years ????
Also would like feedback from people who have these fitted to a lifted vehicle

cheers Andy
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Blanket rule about lifted vehicles applies even for those with body lift that don't affect the CV angle at all?

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:44 pm

i bought an ebay cv once, it lasted less then a week on my landcruiser

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:36 pm

I'll have to ask on Monday if that's warrantable , be interesting to see
Supplier has been very reasonable (I've only had one issue with a rebuilt shaft for a H6 which they replaced with no problems)

Dave do you remember brand ? And did you have increased angles ?

Cheers Andy
AUSubaru member specials
email me

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:50 pm

angle was the same (as landcruiser has solid axle housing) cant remember the brand exactly, i went through 2 cheap ebay cvs now i think of it.

see if i can find something somewhere of what it was.

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:04 pm

For the price of a couple of genuine boots I think they have their place, not sure I'd go dessert-running with them though :-)
AUSubaru member specials
email me

robdddd

Post by robdddd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Alex wrote: i do remeber once on the outer side of the joint i had trouble with the shaft that goes through the hub (the unsplined part) was too thick by a very small amount. Sounds dodgy but i just filed it down very carefully in a circular motion lol and it eventually came through and it worked fine.
Alex I had a similar problem once...the shaft just wouldn't go into the hub; I think the issue ended up being that the car was in a cool shady spot and the new shaft had been sitting in the sun. I had given up, but when I came back later in the evening to give it a second go it went in.

rob

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:08 pm

whats the warrenty on your shafts frog??
I usually pay about 110 and probably get a warrenty but never bother trying for it, of course they last roughly a year so yeah.

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:20 pm

"Limited Lifetime" the fine print is at the end of the PDF link.
AUSubaru member specials
email me

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:35 am

Limited warranty......................... to one week lol, I hope they aren't the same ones Veem sell, the inner rubbers lasted about 500km on mine.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 am

Do you guys have anyone handling the Empi line? A couple months ago I had to replace the front axles in the xt6. New axle assy's were about 53.00 and shipped to a local parts store overnight out of California at no charge.

http://www.empius.com/
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:24 pm

I bought to new axles for my 3" lifted brumby some time back off ebay. They were about $95 each delivered to my door. They are noisy when I first drive off but don't affect the handling of the vehicle and it cruises on the highway ok. I have tried to identify the problem and it feels like the axle is a bit loose on the spline on the gearbox end. I also thought that it may be the cv joint also but not sure. I guess that's what you get for the price...Would go for more expensive axles next time if I can be guaranteed that the noise will vanish.
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:22 pm

spike wrote:I usually pay about 110 and probably get a warrenty but never bother trying for it, of course they last roughly a year so yeah.
I got a set of GSR drive shafts when I did the EJ conversion. These have lasted for about 18 months, the clunking was there before I swapped the shafts from one side to the other - but I've never heard this grinding noise before :(

The reason for this thread was to get some feedback on items such as this and I can't find one for the inner joint. Basically I'm looking at getting the parts to replace the outer and inner CV joints - sorry for the confusion in my first post about uni joints on the driveshafts, I meant CV joints!

While I'm here I'm also wondering if the UNI joints in the TAIL shaft can be replaced - anyone know the way to do this and the replacement uni joint to use? (I'm looking at the WA guys as I believe they've done a few in their time).

Looks like no one has really used the ebay CV joints (not entire shafts). Might have to have a go and see what happens. For now I've packed all the available shafts from the shed (currently home for a day) to use up before I get it together for some new replacement joints.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:04 am

l-series uni joint arent replaceable im fairly sure....well they can be, but the tail shaft has to be re-welded and balanced. Expensive i think.

When my tail shaft dies, i just got another second jobby from another car. Lasted well.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

spike
General Member

Post by spike » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:42 pm

im too lazy to rebuild driveshafts, but for that price it might be worth it. the place i buy my full shafts, 2 half shafts cost 50$ each so theres a hundred and then i have to put them together and get all greasy.
for the extra 10 dollars they can get greasy

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:49 pm

An old thread but an update. The two cheapo axles I got off ebay, well one has failed. I saw grease running down the side of the box where the right shaft goes on and thought oh oh..the inside cap has given way. Took the axle off and it has always had a bit of a click as I drive off but then settles down. I took the boot off and the cap is intact but the "grease" inside came out with the texture of tomato soup..so no more of these for me. I still have another on the passenger side and I can hear it a bit now so it obviously has black tomato soup/puree in it too. I sourced the new replacement from CV guy in Toowoomba...$140 odd dollars which with postage for the ebay item is fairly comparable with better quality. So..there's one answer to this thread...NO MORE EBAY axles for me...incidently guy in Toowoomba says he sells two brumby axles a week. He knew what it was when I walked in with it in my hand so a good sign that he knew what he was on about...
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:02 pm

i got some complete ready to go cv from cv shafts food my 4inch lifted L and they have been alrite so far [12 months] and I'm not really gentle on the old girl.. they were about 100 to my door..
ahhhrrr the subi will make it!

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”