R160 Locker project

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:58 am

Nice!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:04 pm

This is the hard bit though and will likely take me alot of time. It will be somewhat abit of trial and error. I can run simulations to test it though but its still not the same as in practice. Once im resonably happy with what I come up with im going ot get it made up and sent to Australia for testing...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:45 pm

D3V1L wrote:lol benny
And you think I'm joking... Think I'll leave it up to Taza then.

Taza - the locking mechanism design - will it be locking on side of the diff or both -> meaning that each axle will be locked to the carrier so it's not relying on the strength of the spider gears to hold the axle that's not locked to the carrier.

It might be trickier to sort out but I reckon it would be worth the effort in the long run.

Looking forward to the finished product!

Before you have it produced might be a good idea to start looking into the patient side of things for your effort and product's protection against copies...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:00 pm

gday Taza

just a thought running round my head may not work but worth a look

have you seen how the centre locking diffs work from the jap import lseries boxes
i have some photos but no place to put them up online pm me an email and lii shoot them though

cheers
Mathew
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:25 pm

No Matt I haven't seen the centre locking diffs for the L-Series.

Email address pm'ed.

Taza

taza
General Member

*update*

Post by taza » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Ok, I have been slowly working on this during my spare time. I have come up with a carrier and a locking mechanism that should work. It will use a cable mechanism like the dual range lever in AWD Subies to engage and disengage it. It is nearly finished and would probably only take me 4 more hours of work and I would be ready to get a prototype physically built :mrgreen:

Only problem is that my hard drive on my computer with all my photos, music, documents, reciepts and this project was on there is dead.... Well kinda. Im in the process of getting it recovered. I do have a backups but its not the latest version of this project. The drive is recoverable but its going to take time and probably cost.
Just letting you guys know. I will say that many many censored words were yelled. I also now have quite a sore fist but atleast the brick wall is 100% fine :rolleyes:

Taza

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:03 pm

taza wrote: Only problem is that my hard drive on my computer with all my photos, music, documents, reciepts and this project was on there is dead.... Well kinda. Im in the process of getting it recovered. I do have a backups but its not the latest version of this project. The drive is recoverable but its going to take time and probably cost.
Just letting you guys know. I will say that many many censored words were yelled. I also now have quite a sore fist but atleast the brick wall is 100% fine :rolleyes:

Taza
I thought you were an IT person - you should know better ;)
Don't you have automatic backup and syncing software ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:18 pm

^ Yes Ken I do work in IT and I should no better but I didn't think it would happen 2 days ago. Just goes to show you never know. I have a backup from a while ago and if I have to work from that its going to take me a while to redesign it to the exact measurements :sad:
The data will be getting recovered on the other drive though so I hopefully won't have to redo it.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:12 am

taza wrote: Only problem is that my hard drive on my computer with all my photos, music, documents, reciepts and this project was on there is dead.... Well kinda. Im in the process of getting it recovered. I do have a backups but its not the latest version of this project. The drive is recoverable but its going to take time and probably cost.

Taza

Lol gotta hate when this happens. happened to me too back when i was in secondary, luckily didn't have much important data:)

Good to hear your close. Any ideas on where you'll get it made up?
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:21 am

Great to hear that you're this close... I'd better start saving! I'm keen to be in the first line up for orders to fit this to Ruby Scoo ASAP. I'd love to be one of the one's to test run this unit but I'm sure you've got already got a list as long as your arm for contenders not to mention yourself!!
taza wrote: I also now have quite a sore fist but atleast the brick wall is 100% fine :rolleyes:
Yeah I wouldn't go doing that and I don't understand what brings people to do this! Just last week one of the workers up here did something stupid then when the sh!t hit the fan he punched a wall in frustration resulting in a broken forearm, wrist and hand muscles. He showed me his hand and all his knuckles were "parked on 45 degree to each other" as opposed to parallel parked so to speak. He's now off the mountain for surgery and rods - while his poor subi sits in the Punter's long term parking gathering parking fines because it's not in the staff parking area (which he is well aware of)...

I hope the recovery works! I hate it when I loose a longish post like this let alone a day's work on a project!

All the best, I'm looking forward to the results!

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Taza 3 programs every Techie should not be with out some sort of ghost or backup program (I did use ghost until norton bought it) ERD commander and Get Back Data for ntfs and fat.

I find that GBD will salvage up to 90% of a drive as long as it can be detected by windows and ERD commander will do all sorts of magical things to laptops, locked drives unaccessable partitions etc.

sadly Students have found out about this bootable CD and schools are moving towards not having DVD/CD drives in computers for this reason.

eventually even USB drives will need a password to be used on school computers so much fun :)

good luck getting your data back

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:46 pm

TOONGA wrote:Taza 3 programs every Techie should not be with out some sort of ghost or backup program (I did use ghost until norton bought it) ERD commander and Get Back Data for ntfs and fat.

I find that GBD will salvage up to 90% of a drive as long as it can be detected by windows and ERD commander will do all sorts of magical things to laptops, locked drives unaccessable partitions etc.

sadly Students have found out about this bootable CD and schools are moving towards not having DVD/CD drives in computers for this reason.

eventually even USB drives will need a password to be used on school computers so much fun :)

good luck getting your data back

TOONGA
At the school i work at we have passwords on everything. Students couldn't even access half the servers due to them being on another domain. There are BIOS, network, PXE, CD and USB passwords on all the computers. Oh and all our new machines don't have disc drives, same with the laptops :mrgreen: The security is so tight partly due to me and the little bit of hacking I did on that network when I was in high school :rolleyes:

For the technically minded computer people on here I will explain what happened to the drive. Its a Seagate Barricuta 500Gb. It had Seagates SD15 f**Ked firmware on it. I bought the drive in 2008, the next year all the models with the SD15 firmware were recalled by Seagate (World wide). I never returned my drive because it worked completely fine up until about 1 week ago. All the data is still on the drive, but the firmware which controls everything the drive does is stuffed. Which means it wont appear in the BIOS or in widows either as a internal drive or in an external caddy. I can't update the firmware otherwise it will wipe the drive or turn it into a brick from what I have research online. I have to either A. find a drive the exact same and take the chip board off and swap with mine or B. reset the firmware, recover all my stuff and through the drive off the balcony.

Oh and Bennie I know I shouldn't of lost my temper but I have very little patience and when this happened just lost it. Good thing no one else was home to see me loose it :???:

The prototype is going to be built in America and shipped over. Someone on Offroad Subarus is going to build it as he has all the tools in his back shed. I will be making a trip down to Perth to test with a few members on here.

Taza

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Nice:) Any time frame? when do you expect the prototype to be tested?
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Probably a couple of months away. Before the end of the year. i know its not much to go on but its the best I got.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:16 am

taza wrote: The prototype is going to be built in America and shipped over. Someone on Offroad Subarus is going to build it as he has all the tools in his back shed. I will be making a trip down to Perth to test with a few members on here.
Yeah, I'm concerned that this will "leak" your design into the american market and you'll lose out here. Why can't you get it CNC'd in Australia or built by other means of machining at a shop? This will allow you to have ultimate control over it and reduce the freight costs etc and time from your design to production to your shed...

And have you thought about looking into a patient on the design specifically for the R160?

I know these suggestions are out there and may be harder/cost a little more but I would want to be protecting my hard work for the potential that could be made from it.

PM sent

Cheers

Bennie

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:32 pm

taza

i have two of these drives one that intermittently dies and one that hasn't died yet if you need parts for a recovery

cheers
mathew
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Hey Taza, while looking for gearbox ratios I stumbled across this interesting little piece of information - gearbox ratio chart - check out the front diff specs for the "E (RA)" code :twisted:

I know the stock front diff is larger than the R160 in diametre but it's still an interesting piece of info!

Better start saving for a second unit :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:24 am

El_Freddo wrote:Too right!

After the rear - maybe the front diff could get some locker attention :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie
x2 :cool:

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:54 pm

Don't get me wrong, a locked front would be awesome. But honestly I don't think the CV's would take it at all...
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:02 pm

Phizinza wrote:Don't get me wrong, a locked front would be awesome. But honestly I don't think the CV's would take it at all...
Yeah but you wouldn't be using it all the time - just when you need to!

The rear CVs hold up ok with a welded so I don't see why the front won't...

My thoughts anyway!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”