Recommended brands?

Get the most out of your Engine / Gearbox with these handy hints ...
Battlewagon

Recommended brands?

Post by Battlewagon » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Well, my worst fears are realised, and the EJ25 in my outback is pumping compression into the water jacket.
Looks like it's headgasket time, and I'd like to get the best ones I can, to avoid the problem rearing it's ugly head in the future.
Any advice on sources for headgaskets?

Smokey

Post by Smokey » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:46 am

I have just done the EA82 with ACL Monotorque HG's. Not started yet but they seem great quality. I did a fair bit of reading on this same topic and came to the conclusion that Felpro are also quite good. I think in the end anything will be ok, just make sure you prep everything and take your time.

I find this site quite good for guaging rough prices but they are not the best for identifying required part numbers. I have a copy of the (offline) protorque catalogaue that helps with part numbers. However be sure to visit your fav local dedicated parts supplier (not SCA etc). Check what they charge and make a decision on that.

Also The Parts B1n in the states is a good refrence for pics and brand info not to mention getting part numbers. These guys stock good brands it seems. Though buying direct seems not an option thought you can set up a direct US address that then sends onto you in OZ. But it looks very $$$.

Good luck with it and let us know what you end up buying.

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 am

Genuine Subaru FTW
A lot of guys building turbo EJ motors have problems with most aftermarket gaskets and the consensus seems tobe that genuine are the best.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brumby Kid
General Member

Post by Brumby Kid » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 am

If you do everything properly then anybrand will be ok (Clean, appropriate torque ratings etc.).
If you want the best, then go for genuine.
If you decide not to clean, or use the appropriate torque settings, then the genuine will not save you, they will still die.

Cheers Cam
When life gives you a corner, drop a gear, pitch, and stomp the loud pedal
Bianca: 1991 Subaru Brumby
My First / Project car

EA81 Rebuilt by Tony Knight from knight Engines
2" body lift
25" 185r14 Yokahama Delivery Star, light truck tyres
2" Sports exhaust
Rear Aguip step/bar
Liberty seats
"Bianca"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dads Car: 02 Impreza WRX STi
Mums Car 08 Liberty Wagon

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm

no matter what they die i used copper ones atleast i think they were copper in my rodeo excellent product
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSORY... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

WTB
BRUMBY, FORESTER prefferably GT

Return to “Engine, Gearbox and Diff”